Zeiss to discontinue producing lenses for photography?

There is no Zeiss in Voigtlander.
They certainly are not going to steal Zeiss' designs but It would surprise me if they didn't take a close look what a top-notch lens is supposed to deliver and where their own creations are lacking in comparison. It would be a an impossible oversight if Cosina's designers are serious about their own busines, which they obviously are.

Last edited:
Re Zeiss wobble. I now have most of the ZM lens (the ones I don't have 85mm, 28mm and 35mm f2.8). Two or three of the earlier designs have uneven focusing stiffness but the 15mm and latter designs have no issue (18mm, 21mm f4.5.).

The ZM lenses were, but the Otus, Milvus, Loxia and Batis lenses were not. The Otus and Milvus, at least, were made by Zeiss in Germany.

It is also worth keeping in mind that the Zeiss Foundation is a huge entity, for whom photography has been a minor segment for over 70 years. Zeiss is not stopping manufacture of microscopes, endoscopes, sporting optics and a huge range of other equipment that keeps them a world leader in optical equipment. But I will really miss new T* coated camera lenses.
Otus thing was DOA, never seen it even mentioned at forums or else. They were huge, ugly and overpriced. IMO.

I can abolutely assure you nothing of the sort. Cosina and Zeiss make a point of very separate designs and specs.

There is no Zeiss in Voigtlander.

Stephen
You can see thus from the designs too. Voigtländer (by Cosina) lenses are more similar to Leica designs than Zeiss designs.

Otus thing was DOA, never seen it even mentioned at forums or else. They were huge, ugly and overpriced. IMO.
The Otus lenses have sold fairly well according to my local Zeiss distributor. And the Milvus 50/1.4 is the nicest slr manual focus normal lens I’ve ever used. All the Zeiss spectacle lenses for Australasia are made at Tonsley in Adelaide and the local support for us here in South Australia is therefore very good because the service centre and staff are nearby.

Last edited:
Hmmm ... might be time to buy a CZJ M42 mount or two - although my Helios and Takumars are OK for my tired old eyes ...
I see this as driving the CZJ clone market. Some KMZ J8's are just great. And Skyllaney has the Bertele project going, but it will be expensive. The smaller Chinese companies, TT and 7Artisan and LLL, seem to be competitive. An interesting time in lenses. But there are so many good vintage lenses out there at good prices. CZJ's and CZJ clones are out there. Perhaps the Chinese will start more CZJ clones.

OTOH, just how many lenses does somebody really need?

OTOH, just how many lenses does somebody really need?
Good question.

I've been accused of stating the obvious before…

Without interesting content, a good composition, and some decent light, the best lens in the world is of little value in the picture taking process. Creativity first, gear second.

All the best,
Mike

Last edited:
I'm at P.O.T.N.
Really? I remember when the first Otus was released (55/f1.4) and the forums positively gushed over the perfection. I recall more than a few claims of ‘best normal ever’…

For non RF gear I'm P.O.T.N since 2009.
P.O.T.P search returned "whopping" 41 returns on Otus :) and "astonishing" 17 returns on Milvus with majority of replies between 0 and 7 for each of 17 threads.

It translates as "dusty corner" to me.

My bread and butter documentary photography kit is the M9 with Zeiss Distagon 35/1.4. I have yet to try a setup that gives the same kind of high quality yet characterful rendering of this combination, although I aim to try the Classic Distagon 35/2 EF on my S5 sooner or later. Failing that, I will see if a Milvus will have the same kind combination of crisp clarity, microcontrast and soft bokeh.

I'm at P.O.T.N.

P.O.T.P search returned "whopping" 41 returns on Otus :) and "astonishing" 17 returns on Milvus with majority of replies between 0 and 7 for each of 17 threads.

Maybe the users of these lenses are just out there using them rather than spending all their time on forums? A lot of technical and scientific photographers are using them.

Just picked up my Pentax K-3 iii Monochrome, as a total aside . . .

I'm at P.O.T.N.

Ko Fe, I dig your signature! Running 49/19 over here

Chris when I move to St Louis, I plan on steeling a raft upriver then floating down with my film cameras, all the while recalling Mark Twain's humor of shits and giggles.

Creativity first, gear second.
Whilst true it is a simplistic statement because we need gear in order to be creative and so we all have to make choices about what gear we use. Photography has always been gear orientated and photographers have always discussed gear. The trick is to have sufficient gear which works well for what you want to do with it and use it. Some are ocd on gear, others anything but. Whatever works.

Maybe the users of these lenses are just out there using them rather than spending all their time on forums? A lot of technical and scientific photographers are using them.

Just picked up my Pentax K-3 iii Monochrome, as a total aside . . .

So ... obviously not a rumour then! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Creativity first, gear second.

Whilst true it is a simplistic statement because we need gear in order to be creative and so we all have to make choices about what gear we use. Photography has always been gear orientated and photographers have always discussed gear. The trick is to have sufficient gear which works well for what you want to do with it and use it. Some are ocd on gear, others anything but. Whatever works.

I'm fine with being a simplistic sort of fellow that is in search of a good picture.

The more I have, the less I need. Yes, another simplistic statement. But, I prefer the less I have, the more creative I am.

Anyway, I don't care. Life is good.

All the best,
Mike

Back