Zeiss vs. Voigtlander vs. Schneider-Kreuznach?

Forest_rain

Well-known
Local time
5:33 PM
I recently picked up a Voigtlander Vitomatic II and a Zeiss Contaflex. I'm kind of interested in these 1950's era cameras and their lenses, and wondering which ones you think are the best.

Color-Skopar, Tessar, Retina-Xenar

Zeiss seems like the most famous, however all three seem to have good reputations. Schneider-Kreuznach of course made lenses for Retina cameras, and I have a Retina Reflex S with a 50mm 2.8 Retina-Xenar lens.

Of course I'm running rolls with all three cameras and will decide which one I like from the results, but I'm wondering about opinions on these three lens flavors.

Essentially you're not really going to notice much of a difference, they're all 50mm(ish) 2.8(ish) , four elements in three groups.

I'd also guess that any variances in the build quality of the lenses will be far overridden by the state of the lens 60-70 years later. How much haze/fungus is there, have the coatings worn off, is the lens scratched etc.

I'd use the camera that works the best, which would probably be the simplest. I've got a Contaflex that sits on the shelf as it's shutter operation is out of whack, and a Vito II that also sits on the shelf as it's film door latch is showing it's age and leaks light.

Vito II is such a lovely camera, I'd love to find some way to sort out that door latch.

For me, it's more about the usability of the camera than the qualities of the lenses. Lens for lens, all that you mention will produce a good image. However, I've never got on with any of the Zeiss Ikon rangefinders. Agfa, Voigtlander, and Kodak all made better cameras, in my opinion.

Essentially you're not really going to notice much of a difference, they're all 50mm(ish) 2.8(ish) , four elements in three groups.

I'd also guess that any variances in the build quality of the lenses will be far overridden by the state of the lens 60-70 years later. How much haze/fungus is there, have the coatings worn off, is the lens scratched etc.

I'd use the camera that works the best, which would probably be the simplest. I've got a Contaflex that sits on the shelf as it's shutter operation is out of whack, and a Vito II that also sits on the shelf as it's film door latch is showing it's age and leaks light.

Vito II is such a lovely camera, I'd love to find some way to sort out that door latch.

Isn't there a way to flock the door latch, putting a self adhesive foam or velvet flocking on there?

The classic Voigtlanders were appreciated for their lenses, especially the Nokton, Ultron, Heliar, and APO-lanthar.
Voigt fans would say Voigt had the best glass of the time, but of course Zeiss, Schneider, etc fans would disagree.

I think its fair to say there is no clear cut answer on the glass. Just find good examples and compare for yourself. With good samples, it should be close, but different.

Isn't there a way to flock the door latch, putting a self adhesive foam or velvet flocking on there?

As the latch doesn't appear to be holding the film door tightly it's letting in light from the top or bottom (can't remember which) also. I could in theory nuke it in duct tape like a Holga, but I don't think I want to go down that route.

I prefer black electrical tape around the film door if there is ANY question about a light leak....and if you have a latch problem...just maybe that too with a little black tape you may be good to go! And, if there is a "question" black tape it..no reason to take a chance on a shot that certainly can never be repeated.
Enjoy the day.
Tom S.

I recently picked up a Voigtlander Vitomatic II and a Zeiss Contaflex. I'm kind of interested in these 1950's era cameras and their lenses, and wondering which ones you think are the best.

Color-Skopar, Tessar, Retina-Xenar

Zeiss seems like the most famous, however all three seem to have good reputations. Schneider-Kreuznach of course made lenses for Retina cameras, and I have a Retina Reflex S with a 50mm 2.8 Retina-Xenar lens.

Of course I'm running rolls with all three cameras and will decide which one I like from the results, but I'm wondering about opinions on these three lens flavors.
The various lenses for the different Contaflex models were, at the least, good, but they were not all created equal.

Back