Zeiss wobble no more!

Out to Lunch

Menteur
Local time
1:17 PM
A few days ago, I posted this thread:
"Yesterday I cleaned a few lenses and found that my Zeiss Biogon 2.8/28mm ZM is loose...I can lift the aperture ring some 2mm. Does it affect picture quality? Do I need to repair this? Thanks for your feedback. Peter"

I went online and inquired about repairs and found that in Europe the solution would be to send the lens to Zeiss Germany.

Then I wrote a short PM to Tom A. on RFF and he replied giving me practical advice on a possible cure. I followed his advice and:

1. unscrewed the black ring surrounding a smaller black ring closest to the glass -the smaller ring that sticks out of the bottom of the barrel of the lens;
2. re-screwed this same black ring - the one around the smaller ring that sticks out of the bottom of the barrel of the lens, clockwise.

As a result, the wobble of the aperture ring was completely cured! I did this by hand without the need for screwdrivers or any other instruments.

The lens is tight again and the focus and aperture rings are smooth. Many thanks to Tom A. and I hope this is of some use to others with the same Zeiss wobble as I experienced, i.e. an otherwise tight lens but with a loose aperture ring.

Cheers, Peter

There are two types of wobble with ZM and some CV lenses, Peter. The first is caused by a loose span ring and easy to fix (as in your case). The second is caused by loose screws inside the optical barrel, and harder (not impossible) to DIY.

Glad it worked out for you.

Roland.

I'll tell you something, Roland: My Ultron-M 35mm f/1.7 is on its way to Germany and maybe it will later travel to Japan. Cause? The Wobble. The Wobble started barely perceptible, but grew worse and worse. None of my other CV lenses ever showed a wobble. It is a Wobble of the second kind.

Erik.

Back