Zeiss wobble

Out to Lunch

Menteur
Local time
3:08 PM
Yesterday I cleaned a few lenses and found that my Zeiss 2.8/28mm ZM is loose...I can lift the aperture ring some 2mm. Does it affect picture quality? Do I need to repair this? Thanks for your feedback. Peter

Don't worry about that. It is when the whole body develops a hinge/wobble, like it can be unscrewed into two parts. My $1300 Sonnar 50mm 1.5 is doing that. Freakin' awesome..
makes the 'new' Lomo Jupiter 3 seem like a screaming deal at half the price.

I was just telling Huss a week ago that I had no wobble on my ZM Sonnar, well that changed this weekend and I haven't even used it that much...

Hopefully my J3+ will arrive this week, look forward to comparing them before selling the ZM.

Huss, thanks for your feedback. Not sure I should feel better about my problem.

Well, it's not a good thing but for now it is not going to effect image quality as the body of the lens remains in alignment. it is when the body starts to get the wobble that the elements get out of alignment that can effect the image.

Well, 2mm on a precision lens seems like a LOT to me. If it were my lens, I would be looking into some way to address that.

Now, the classic Zeiss wobble, I understand to be a "wiggle" in the focus ring, is not suppose to affect the lens performance. At least not until the wobble is really quite bad, very bad. My Biogon 35/2 has the wobble just barely and it hasn't worsened in the last couple years. I use the lens often. It does not affect the lens performance.

The aperture ring is not where the classic Zeiss wobble occurs. I think you have something else going on. Something that should be addressed.

I know, I'm not helping....

Now, the classic Zeiss wobble, I understand to be a "wiggle" in the focus ring, is not suppose to affect the lens performance.

No, that's another issue. The slack that can occur in the focus ring. You'll know the wobble when you see/feel it! The entire lens body acts there is a hinge in it.

I was just telling Huss a week ago that I had no wobble on my ZM Sonnar, well that changed this weekend and I haven't even used it that much...

Hopefully my J3+ will arrive this week, look forward to comparing them before selling the ZM.

This is the reason that I finally got rid of all my ZM lenses. My 18mm Distagon was awesome to use, but developed a wobble after only a year and half. Ditto for my 50mm Planar. Zeiss fixed both, but the experience was enough of a hassle.

I'm almost convinced that the ZM wobble isn't a if problem but a when problem. The only lens that I haven't heard of wobble cases is the 15mm Distagon...and that is a $4,500 lens.

Ya, you're right about that.

I had the same problem with my 35 Biogon ZM just over a year after, traded that one.
Was surprised with the Sonnar though, hardly ever used it, year and a half later same issue.

Yesterday I cleaned a few lenses and found that my Zeiss 2.8/28mm ZM is loose...I can lift the aperture ring some 2mm. Does it affect picture quality? Do I need to repair this? Thanks for your feedback. Peter
I call it Leica ‘wobble wiggle’ and it was a shocker on my 2.5/75 Summarit that was remedied in just 3 month and 30% cost of the lens. Funny never happened to my ZM or Nikkor manual focus lenses.

I call it Leica ‘wobble wiggle’ and it was a shocker on my 2.5/75 Summarit that was remedied in just 3 month and 30% cost of the lens. Funny never happened to my ZM or Nikkor manual focus lenses.

I've never experienced that with any of the summilux's, or summicron's I have, and some of them date to the early 60's!
Even my 1933 Nickel Elmar is perfect, and I've used it a lot.

I had both my 28 cron and 21 SEM get loose. Sent them to DAG and he fixed them for under 100USD. They have been tight since.

So far my ZM glass has been fine, but if they got loose, I would also send them in to DAG or another good tech.

I would not send them to Zeiss.

Back