ZF is here.

Ko.Fe.

Lenses 35/21 Gears 46/20
Local time
6:46 PM
Nikon made it!
Mirrorless camera which is not far from film camera and to crappy crop, but IBIS.

First mirrorless camera I want to buy for practical use and something nice to hold.
I had many good F mount, non Nikkor lenses which were cheap, but good on digital FF cameras and all metal.

It looks pretty sweet. Although I'm a crusty old fart who wishes it was designed to take old manual focus Nikon F lenses right out of the box, without that clunky adapter. But I'm sure Nikon's target market is not me.

Best,
-Tim

It looks pretty sweet. Although I'm a crusty old fart who wishes it was designed to take old manual focus Nikon F lenses right out of the box, without that clunky adapter.
...if they also made an adapter for S-mount lenses, things could be really interesting.

A few years ago, I used a bevy of S-mount lenses on a Z6 and was quite pleased with the results. It was pretty simple. Get an Amedeo adapter to adapt the S-mount lens to Leica M, then a Leica M to Nikon Z adapter, and you're all set. The nice thing about that set up is that even the lenses that are listed as not working with the Amedeo adapter (like the spectacular Nikkor 3.5cm f1.8) actually work fine with this set up. The 3.5cm f1.8 and the 8.5cm f2.0 were really outstanding on the Nikon Z6. I regret selling them off.

Best,
-Tim

The Zf is good news for many reasons; I wish Nikon success.

I'm not interested in the Zf itself - it has too many features I would never use and I don't want to pay for. Rather, my hope is that the Zf will cause Df prices to fall. To me, in terms of control layout, the Df is like a digital F4 which will also accept pre-AI lenses.

So, since I do want one digital Nikon, I'd like to replace my D700 with a Df. Despite the legendary D700 still being popular even today, I've never bonded with my D700 because I really dislike the thumbwheel controls and the buttons.

When it comes to shooting classic Nikkor F early non-AI and AI lenses, I found the best two Nikon digital cameras to be the D700 and the Df. If you've had success with the D700 and your Nikkors, you're gonna love the Df.

Best,
-Tim

This camera is looking like a good reason to sell off my Z6, and could be the first new Nikon I buy since getting an F3 a few decades ago.
As others have mentioned, I've never gotten truly comfortable with the thumbwheel controls on the newer Nikons.

It's a real pity that I just spent 2K on my other money consuming hobby (woodworking), so I expect I'll be letting this "mature" in the marketplace a bit instead of clicking one of the "pre order" buttons.

This camera is looking like a good reason to sell off my Z6, and could be the first new Nikon I buy since getting an F3 a few decades ago.
As others have mentioned, I've never gotten truly comfortable with the thumbwheel controls on the newer Nikons.

It's a real pity that I just spent 2K on my other money consuming hobby (woodworking), so I expect I'll be letting this "mature" in the marketplace a bit instead of clicking one of the "pre order" buttons.
Never step into first batch. Preproduction copy was reported to overheat just by taking pictures within two hours in +32C. We need to see if this was solved by checking of first batch sold and reported.

Who is Ralph Cramden? What is his relevance to a new Nikon camera? Your attempt at humor?
The Honeymooners was an American television sitcom which originally aired from 1955 to 1956. Ralph Cramden was the lead, whenever he saw something he really liked or that got him excited he would go "Hamina, hamina, hamina . . ." (He was played by the American Actor Jackie Gleason)

Best,
-Tim

Hello Brian, I have some Nikkor Ais lenses. Which adapter would you recommend for the use of these lenses on the Zf body? Many thanks for your feedback. Cheers, OtL
I just checked... I have the Fotasy F-Mount to Z-mount adapter on the Z5 now, with the 85/2 Ais.

I use a "Pixco" adapter for the Canon 50/9.95
The S-Mount adapter is K&F concepts.
I have good luck with Fotasy M-Mount to Z-Mount, use with the 90/1.5.
Picked up a Fotofox Exakta mount to Z-mount.

These are not expensive. the Canon 50/0.95 adapter was the most expensive of all, the others- around $20.

I know there's a Z in my future eventually. The question is which one and when. Right now I expect not too soon simply due to the fact that I'm very happy with my current selection that gets regular use (M 240, D810, F4 & newly added S2) but if either of my two main digital cameras were to have expensive failure modes crop up? I'd probably be looking at a FF Z model then and which one would probably come down to if I wanted the vertical grip I've come to like on the D810 - the Z6II does, the Zf doesn't.

Back