Zoom point and shoot with manual iso/exp comp?

analogpics

Well-known
Local time
1:13 PM
Hey, sorry if this has been already discussed...but i couldn't find anything with my rudimentary search skills so far.

Other than the Contax TVS series and Leica Minilux Zoom, are there any ZOOM point and shoots that have exp comp or manual iso capabilities...particularly ones that keep the settings after turning off the camera. My Canon z135 has a +-1.5 exp comp button but it resets every time you turn off the camera. Any help appreciated, cheers!

Doesn't answer your question but if you could get by using the film at a fixed iso - but not the box speed - you could just print off a different iso bar code and stick that on the cannister. No use if you want to adjust iso/exp per shot of course, and you'd still be limited by whatever the camera is capable of interpreting off a bar code.

Years ago I started a list of all the cameras I'd had and these were the ones with + or - EV adjustment. The list is old and I've no way of knowing if they went in steps or were just the usual +1½ EV. Here it is:-

Braun Trend Zoom 70-S
Canon Z90W
Konica AiBORG
Konica Lexio 70W
Konica Z-up 110 Super
Konica Z-up 140 Super
Konica Z-Up 80 Super Zoom
Leica C3
Minolta Riva Zoom 135EX
Minolta Riva Zoom 150
Olympus µ-II Zoom 80
Olympus µ[mju:]-V
Pentax ESPIO 928
Pentax Zoom 70-S
Rollei Prego 90 AF
Rollei Prego Zoom
Rollei X70
Samsung Slim Zoom 70S

One or two of them are rather large from memory...

Regards, David

Doesn't answer your question but if you could get by using the film at a fixed iso - but not the box speed - you could just print off a different iso bar code and stick that on the cannister. No use if you want to adjust iso/exp per shot of course, and you'd still be limited by whatever the camera is capable of interpreting off a bar code.

With my Minox 35GT-E, the ISO setting is done manually (as opposed to the 35GT-X model, which used the bar-code reader setup) so I can effect a stepped EV compensation up to three stops plus/minus, depending upon film speed. It also has a +1.5EV compensation switch, manual focus by scale, and aperture setting, but it doesn't qualify for the OP since it is a fixed 35mm f/2.8 lens. A very handy and easily pocketable camera, due to the front clamshell cover which closes up to protect the lens when not in use.

Salsa Beargrease in Japan Town - San Jose 2020
Minox 35GT-E + Ilford XP2 Super
Scanned w Leica CL + Macro-Elmar-R 100mm f/4

Despite not having a zoom, this would be my pick. In fact, it was and has been since about 1997... alongside my Rollei 35S. :D

G

Years ago I started a list of all the cameras I'd had and these were the ones with + or - EV adjustment. The list is old and I've no way of knowing if they went in steps or were just the usual +1½ EV. Here it is:-

Braun Trend Zoom 70-S
Canon Z90W
Konica AiBORG
Konica Lexio 70W
Konica Z-up 110 Super
Konica Z-up 140 Super
Konica Z-Up 80 Super Zoom
Leica C3
Minolta Riva Zoom 135EX
Minolta Riva Zoom 150
Olympus µ-II Zoom 80
Olympus µ[mju:]-V
Pentax ESPIO 928
Pentax Zoom 70-S
Rollei Prego 90 AF
Rollei Prego Zoom
Rollei X70
Samsung Slim Zoom 70S

One or two of them are rather large from memory...

Regards, David

Thanks for this list David! I did a quick search on these and it seems like the Pentax espio 928 keeps the settings after its turned off :) I can't find if the rollei prego 90 does the same or not, but that would be ideal :)

I have the Pentax IQZoom 928 (same as Espio, maybe?) and the manual says that if you set exposure compensation, it will remain until you remove the film (unless you reset the compensation in the meantime). It is a very nice camera -- decently fast lens too.

As I remember the Pentax, it had a very nice lens and came in one or two versions. I dug out my old (paper) database and the one I had was the Pentax ESPIO 928M with a 28 to 90mm zoom; a very useful range. Its page had a gold star stuck to it meaning keep and I paid three pounds for it and the manual...

It went in the cull as I decided that the Pentax ME Super would be the best of the Pentaxes to keep.

Regards, David

The Pentax 928 has full range of ±2 EV compensation. Just a bit fiddly to get in (press and hold the button for like 2 seconds) but still way better than anything else in the class.

The EV adjustment of Rollei Prego 90 and its Fujifilm & Samsung siblings are good only for one shot, if memory serves.

Ok, shot a test roll with kentmere 400...seems about on par with the olympus stylus zooms of that era. Not amazingly sharp, but decent. That exp comp is a great feature though and i wish more zoom point and shoots had it :) Will probably run another roll with color and see how it goes.

Well, shot a second roll...af seems a bit hit or miss on my copy. Thus far in my zoom point and shoots...ive strangely liked the canon sure shot z90w. Pretty slow lens starting at 4.5 at 28mm and 9.9 at 90mm. But, after shooting a few rolls, they've been pretty consistently good! Friend got me on a weird canon sure shot kick right now...Got a z115 which im still testing and a z155 which should arrive later this week. Oh, forgot to mention, the ones ive been picking up all seem to have a spot meter. That's been a pretty useful feature :)

Wel, I got one haha, shot a couple rolls through it and it seems to be a keeper! AF and lens IQ is a huge improvement over my TVS II. The ergonomics are strangely a step down lol, but yeah, so far its been great! Really sharp lens, even wide open.

Back