Zoom vs. Prime for Travel -- A6000

ColSebastianMoran

( IRL Richard Karash )
Local time
7:17 AM
Question: For travel, outdoor shots, mostly in good light with my fab A6000. Use the 16-50 zoom? Or the 24mm Zeiss prime (35mm FOV).

I'll admit I've been a prime bigot for past trips, but I decided to test. At f/8, there's not that much difference, and this surprised me. This trip, I'm going with the kit zoom for it's utility.

Thoughts?

Several years ago I expected to travel to Germany to visit my daughter. I has a couple of Yashica FX 103 bodies. I was worried about theft if I used my Fujica ST901 and mostly prime lenses. I got 3 zooms, an Phoenix (Yep) 18-28mm, a Vivitar 28-70mm, and a Vivitar 75-150mm. They turned out to be pretty nice lenses, including the Phoenix. Never got to Germany, but I enjoy being able to pull that kit out and using it with my since acquired Contax 167mt.

I bet your won't be disappointed with the versatility and the IQ. Do let us know.

Vario-Tessar T* E 4/16-70 ZA is bit pricier general purpose zoom for crop sensor Sonys, but been readin quality control issues with this lens. Any experiences here?

On my last trip to Italy (2014), all I had was my NEX6 and the 16-50mm -- stopped down and in good light, that lightweight combo delivered nice images. Personally, if I had the 24mm Zeiss at that time, I would have just taken both lenses on the trip.

This trip, I'm going with the kit zoom for it's utility.

Thoughts?

I think it makes a lot of sense to go with the zoom. It gives you so much more flexibility when you're out and about while traveling.

For my trip earlier this month to the East Coast, I took my my new purchase, a 16-55 f/2.8 zoom, and my XPro 1 and left all other cameras and lenses behind. I was glad I took only one camera and the zoom lens.

I don't think you'll regret it if you take the zoom.

Have been doing photography since 1966 and never been a fan of zoom lenses. I have owned a total of two (I think). And since I use Leica M's, there really is not a choice. I have never missed them.

This summer, I took the a6000 with the 16-50PZ with me on my holydays to Ireland.. no problems with the image quality, especially when stopped down a bit to f8.

Some major issues however popped up:

First one was that at some point, there appeared a large thread of lint on the sensor. Mind you, that was with a camera where the lens hadn't even been taken off once since new! Shame on you Sony! The image cleaning option is a joke (shame on you Sony, again!), so with the rocket-blower safely stashed away where I couldn't get to it, I had to resort to a puff of breath.. worked out OK, but it's far from the recommended procedure..

Second issue was the Auto-ISO. Turns out that there are two Auto-ISO's, one ordinary one, and one where the a6000 takes multiple shots. But given that I also saw multi-shot under the scene modes, I couldn't figure how to cancel the multi-shot there for days; nearly threw the thing off the cliffs out of frustration. Talk about a convoluted mess of non-informative lock-outs.

At some point, the on-off switch started working the reverse way around; turn the camera off and the lens extended, while the EVF/LCD went black, turn it on and the EVF/LCD came on but the lens collapsed.. WTF? Seems like switching off and immediately on again can cause glitches.. was restored to normal after popping out the battery while switched on.

My conclusion, the 16-50 isn't bad image-wise, but I'll probably drag the Nikon along next time..

Back from the trip. I've posted safari photos in another thread.

Peter, sorry to hear the issues you experienced. The last one is really strange. I've had no problems with the Sony gear, but I have gotten lost in the menus at times.

The zoom, shooting in pretty good light at f/8 made good image. In the case, the small Sony was the second-shooter; my main target was game animals, and the primary tool was another camera with a good long tele. The Sony w/zoom was just for record shots, and I was pleased. Also, made some good videos.

Back