Zorki 4K rangefinder adjustment

stkork

Local time
6:27 AM
Hello, a couple of days ago I removed the lens from my Zorki 4k while it was set at infinity, so the rangefinder was upset. I tried to adjust it with a Jupiter 3 on it and now it seems quite accurate. The problem is that it is not accurate with Industar 50 (collapsible) on it... Unfortunately I don't have any other lenses to try. Do you have any idea why this happens?

The setback of the two lenses must be different. I've been experimenting with my various lenses and camera bodies and am finding some differences too.

Thanks for your answer davelrods

I don't think they are so different. When I want to focus in infinity with industar I have to set it in 10m. I am quite sure that before I upset the tip's position, focusing was the same with both. I am not totally sure about this because I acquired recently the jupiter and I haven't tried to take any photos with it...

Small differences are normal (in my experience) with FSU lenses. Setting it to 10m, however, is not "small"! You need to find out which lens is correct there.

I've just gone through the rangefinder adjusting experience myself on my newly acquired Zorki 4.

As I understand it (or not?!), to adjust the near focus you move the part in the camera that presses against the lens cam until your 1 metre adjustment is correct, then use the horizontal axis adjusting screw for the infinity setting? I kinda had to go back and forth on it, because if I got the 1 metre adjusted properly, the infinity would be out and I'd have to re-adjust the screw, then the 1 metre would be out again, and back and forth until they were both correct.

Does this sound right, and if they both line up (1 metre and infinity), should I assume that the rangefinder is then properly set up?

Awesome. You know, once you've gone through the camera, give it a clean, lube, etc., they're actually pretty smooth cameras. My shutter works beautifully (even at the slow speeds!), and now that the rangefinder is set up, it's ready to go!

Just as a point of advice -- if possible, if you can set up two separate tripods (one for the close focus, one for the infinity) it will probably make things a bit easier for you. And if the tripods have quick release plates, then so much the better! Conversely, if you only have one tripod, maybe you could have something you could move in and out of the picture that you could easily place 1 metre away, like something on a stand maybe? Obviously you'd be doing this outside to get the infinity!

Last edited:
I've just gone through the rangefinder adjusting experience myself on my newly acquired Zorki 4.

As I understand it (or not?!), to adjust the near focus you move the part in the camera that presses against the lens cam until your 1 metre adjustment is correct, then use the horizontal axis adjusting screw for the infinity setting? I kinda had to go back and forth on it, because if I got the 1 metre adjusted properly, the infinity would be out and I'd have to re-adjust the screw, then the 1 metre would be out again, and back and forth until they were both correct.

Does this sound right, and if they both line up (1 metre and infinity), should I assume that the rangefinder is then properly set up?
Hi Vince, How do you adjust the in camera part please?

Back