Zorki I vertical rangefinder adjustment

vicmortelmans

Well-known
Local time
6:37 PM
Hi,

It must have been asked and explained before, but I can't find it, therefore once again: how to adjust the vertical rangefinder matching on my Zorki 1?

The only reference I found is Jay Fedka's page on Zorki 1 (and Fed 1 and Leica II), but I can't figure out what is actually meant.

These are the screws which I can see:

• There's the screw with the hole in the middle next to the front viewfinder window.
  • There are three screws on the top
  • If I remove the piece of paper, a hole is revealed, and there seems to be another screw inside the assebly which may be reachable...

Can someone give advise?

Groeten,
Vic

This is how my rangefinder assembly looks like:

070624_55_IMG_6513.JPG

This is what Jay says:

VERTICAL RF IMAGE ADJUSTMENT:

Remove the left rangefinder bezel to expose the optical wedge collar. The collar has two notches which can be used to turn it until vertical RF alignment is achieved. This should be done preferably after horizontal RF image alignment is done.

The optical wedge collar may often be found glued onto its mount. This will make turning impossible or difficult. The glue can be dissolved by placing a cotton wad saturated with alcohol or acetone on the wedge’s ring.

Note too, that adjusting vertical image alignment can affect horizontal alignment, and may require readjusting the rangefinder screw
(source: http://www.fedka.com/jay/index_files/Page422.htm)

You can't adjust it because you've taken it out, based on the picture! It's the left-hand of the windows, looking at the picture you posted. It has an inner and an outer part, the inner one rotates (after softening the glue with alcohol) to adjust the vertical alignment. Hope that helps...

Correct. Behind the shiny cover is a wedged piece of glass that can be rotated. And thus affects the vertical alignment. Same thing in all Feds, Zorkis and early Leicas afaik.

Just to add...the wedge rotates the RF image in a small circle, so don't adjust the horizontal alignment until the vertical is correct. If you do, adjusting the vertical will throw the horizontal out again!

Back