Camera and Coffee

I 'was' an Apple Newton user until the darn thing packed in, the local Mac tech flipped out when I bought in for repair two years ago. Strangely I got the same response from the service counter at Canon NZ when I bought my Canonet QL17 in for a service...

Old school 'tech rules (as the old geek saying goes).

Stu :)

Wayne great shot!

Is it a IIa to the left and a IIIa to the right?

Nice! (love the hood on the Contax)

Nice companions, Wayne! Richard, I believe you're right. Wayne, what is that finder & lens on the IIa? I have a Zeiss 21mm finder, but I don't recall that it has a shoe on top.

The QL17, I love as it is small, sharp and very quiet. Good for existing light shots at a wedding were the Church does not allow flash shots during the ceremony. It reloads film much faster than the Contax cameras. The Contax are quiet also compared to the motor drive on my Nikon FHP's.:)

I have an ugly Kiev 4AM that was playing Cinderella while these pretty sisters went to the ball.

Wayne

Thanks, Wayne... I dug out my 21mm finder, and it does indeed have a shoe on top like yours. Body is black crinkle-finish with chrome stuff front/back, top/bottom. Yep, Zeiss IKON Stuttgart.

But I'd like to know what the eyepiece on yours is like. Mine is just round and chrome with threads around the outside as if something else should be there too.

Doug said:
Thanks, Wayne... I dug out my 21mm finder, and it does indeed have a shoe on top like yours. Body is black crinkle-finish with chrome stuff front/back, top/bottom. Yep, Zeiss IKON Stuttgart.

But I'd like to know what the eyepiece on yours is like. Mine is just round and chrome with threads around the outside as if something else should be there too.

Doug,

My eye piece is exactly the same as yours. I have a Ziess Catalog from around 1956. I'll try to find it and see if I can solve the mystery threads on the eye piece.

Wayne

The IIa looks really nice with the external viewfinder...

I know I'm alone in the world on this but I still think the IIIa is a more attractive camera than the IIa (without the external viewfinder ;) ).

rsilfverberg said:
The IIa looks really nice with the external viewfinder...

I know I'm alone in the world on this but I still think the IIIa is a more attractive camera than the IIa (without the external viewfinder ;) ).

Some people like camels and some people like horses.

Wayne

Doug,

The threads are for Eye Correction lens (spherical only) from +/- 0.5 to +/- 5.0 diopters in steps of 0.5 diopters each, for Contax and Contameter. (special order only together with prescription for eye used).

This is from December 1, 1957 Zeiss Ikon Catalog.

Wayne

Ok, I'm not too surprised. It could also have been for a rubber eyecup or just a soft protective rim to keep from scratching one's glasses. I'm still surprised there's not even a little thread-protecting bezel on there, which would look better. Anyway, thanks for the info!

Here's a shot of it so others here can see how it looks...

Here's a Lynx 14 that I just got working. The shutter was stuck and the aperture wasn't working.
It took several days of applying lighter fluid with a q tip and disassembly of the lens to get at the lever that controls the aperture.

Turned out that the lever wasn't bent or broken, just out of place.

The meter appears to be a stop off, but the lens looks really good. I am looking forward to shooting a roll through it.

Jon Flanders

I have a 35mm version of the 21mm viewfinder shown above. Mine was made for a Contax rangefinder, probably a Color Dial. It cam with a chrome bezel on the ocular threads, no diopter correction lens. Unfortunately it fell off one day and I lost it. I ended up making a small leather washer for it to keep from scratching my eyeglasses.

-Paul

jon_flanders said:
Here's a Lynx 14 that I just got working. The shutter was stuck and the aperture wasn't working.
It took several days of applying lighter fluid with a q tip and disassembly of the lens to get at the lever that controls the aperture.

Turned out that the lever wasn't bent or broken, just out of place.

The meter appears to be a stop off, but the lens looks really good. I am looking forward to shooting a roll through it.

Jon Flanders

Jon,

Nice Lynx! We'll be looking forward to seeing some great photos you take with it!

Best Regards,

Bill Mattocks

Jon, that's a beautiful one-eyed monster! I've been dreaming about one, but so far i have to survive with its smaller brothers(which are nice too!)...

Thanks for the info, Paul! Now it appears all three of our finders are missing a little chrome bezel! I expect a machine shop could make something for that, if they have a thread tap for whatever thread that is on the finder.

Jon - nice looking Lynx (and coffee mug)!
Congratulations - and let's see some shot! :)

Bessa R2 & Starbucks

Bessa R2 & Starbucks

Gotta keep the camera and coffee ritual alive -- here is my latest ... Bessa R2 with 40mm Summicron ...

Here's my black beauty Yashica GT, sharing a cup with his friend Mickey :D

Back