Engraved Helga Plumacher Leica IIIa

Most people staring photography when the Leica IIIa was new used a Box Camera. Few settings, no focus.
The Leica IIIa is not an easy camera to use.
At the time, most people did not own Cadillac automobiles or dress in couture fashion either.

As for ease of use, I think Leica III was much more convenient than other cameras of it's era (coupled rangefinder - sweet!), and helpful exposure setting suggestions were once included with every roll of Kodak film.

Wow! U are so lucky can buy the camera same month as you born!! Not easy to find it! Today after work I will go to camera shop, let find the cheaper camera n easy to use! I want to same as all members here, take the very beautiful photos! 🤓📸

At the time, most people did not own Cadillac automobiles or dress in couture fashion either.

As for ease of use, I think Leica III was much more convenient than other cameras of it's era (coupled rangefinder - sweet!), and helpful exposure setting suggestions were once included with every roll of Kodak film.
Yep u are right, in its era, Leica iii is the very convenient camera, compare the other cameras i guess it’s the smallest!
I searched some websites they said Leica iii widely used in WWII!
I want to ask about the film, the film have different brand, which brand is good?
I find kodak, ilford, Fuji..etc🤔🤔

That was my camera. If you Google Helga Plumacher, you’ll find that she died in a plane crash as Lake Rupanco in Chile in 1977. Gosh I’m always interested to know where my old cameras end up!

Helga7 by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Helga9 by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Vince, where did you sell your camera? If it was Canada and it ended up in HK that would be quite an evidence for the fact, that the world got pretty small 😁

Vince, where did you sell your camera? If it was Canada and it ended up in HK that would be quite an evidence for the fact, that the world got pretty small 😁
I sold it on eBay, and it's entirely possible that it was a Hong Kong buyer (at the time I had been selling a number of cameras to that general region). As I say, it was at least 7-8 years ago so I can't entirely be certain.

Update -- I did a search of an old email folder and I found the email for the sale. Yes it did go to a seller in Hong Kong in December 2013. So almost 10 years ago!

Based on the photos that the OP shared, I can tell you that it was in much better condition when I owned it. Besides that missing rangefinder window bezel, it almost looks like part of the serial number is rubbed away. Weird.

Vince, where did you sell your camera? If it was Canada and it ended up in HK that would be quite an evidence for the fact, that the world got pretty small
Update -- I did a search of an old email folder and I found the email for the sale. Yes it did go to a seller in Hong Kong in December 2013. So almost 10 years ago!

Based on the photos that the OP shared, I can tell you that it was in much better condition when I owned it. Besides that missing rangefinder window bezel, it almost looks like part of the serial number is rubbed away. Weird.
The serial number still on the camera, no rubbed it, just don’t know why my phone took the picture of it, the number not clearly! Finally I returned Leica iiia to the shop n changed to Leica iiic, the shop owner he is very good n very nice, super helpful!!😀
I got one Pentax film camera from other shop!

Post some pictures of the IIIc- there were changes through the production run. Also let us know which Pentax that you bought.
I've been giving film cameras away to members in my Daughters youth group that expressed a desire to shoot film. A Pentax ME Super with a 50/1.4 lens worked out perfectly for a new-to-film beginner. A Nikon N8008s with AF lens also worked out perfectly. They also love Polaroid. I was told the Polaroid was the hit of the University Dorm. Students have been posting pictures of friends in their rooms and filling walls with them. Too funny. Polaroid owes me.

Post some pictures of the IIIc- there were changes through the production run. Also let us know which Pentax that you bought.
I've been giving film cameras away to members in my Daughters youth group that expressed a desire to shoot film. A Pentax ME Super with a 50/1.4 lens worked out perfectly for a new-to-film beginner. A Nikon N8008s with AF lens also worked out perfectly. They also love Polaroid. I was told the Polaroid was the hit of the University Dorm. Students have been posting pictures of friends in their rooms and filling walls with them. Too funny. Polaroid owes me.
Mine one is the Pentax Super ME too! Haha.. I think I need to buy more battery to keep at home, some people said about 3 rolls of films battery end! 😀
Leica iiic not very new but it’s ok for me, before I wanna pay extra money to change to M3, but M3 lens very very very expensive at least over 3500hkd! I only can afford to buy the M3 body and one lens!
So the shop owner suggested me to think clearly, coz M3 no other brand of lens replace, maybe change to iiic will be better, impossible use one lens only! He is true!

Attachments

• IMG_0043.jpeg
    IMG_0043.jpeg
    229.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0036.jpeg
    IMG_0036.jpeg
    341.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0037.jpeg
    IMG_0037.jpeg
    424.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0038.jpeg
    IMG_0038.jpeg
    369.4 KB · Views: 17
Polaroid Is the instant photos right? I also take instant photos! 📸😬
I have one toy no need any battery, take the instant photos of phone screen, then roll it out! Very interesting!

Attachments

• IMG_0047.jpeg
    IMG_0047.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0048.jpeg
    IMG_0048.jpeg
    300.1 KB · Views: 8

Having owned loads of Barnacks and Contax II / III's I never found Barnacks even remotely close to convenient to use. Sure, users can get used to Barnacks and proficient with them, but saying they are convenient is like getting hit on the head and calling the headache a "feature."

Until you learn how to use them,
Barnacks are among the worst 35mm interchangeable rangefinder cameras
to load properly,
to loose shots because they were misloaded,
to advance film quickly,
and to rewind film quickly.

Ever wonder why beautiful almost unused Barnacks are plentiful almost 100 years later,
while Contax II / III's are typically worn out?
Because Barnack owners gave up on their beloved cameras and packed them away because they were so wonderful!

Yes Barnacks have a jewel like beauty about them, but beauty and convenience are unfortunately different subjects.

Stephen

Last edited:
Not film, but a younger photographer wanting to go to a real camera from a cell phone got my old D7100, 35/1.8G DX & 50/1.8G as a gift today. Hopefully she'll be learning a lot more about photography with that good old DSLR & pair of primes.

Having owned loads of Barnacks and Contax II / III's I never found Barnacks even remotely close to convenient to use. Sure, users can get used to Barnacks and proficient with them, but saying they are convenient is like getting hit on the head and calling the headache a "feature."

Until you learn how to use them,
Barnacks are among the worst 35mm interchangeable rangefinder cameras
to load properly,
to loose shots because they were misloaded,
to advance film quickly,
and to rewind film quickly.

Ever wonder why beautiful almost unused Barnacks are plentiful almost 100 years later,
while Contax II / III's are typically worn out?
Because Barnack owners gave up on their beloved camers and packed them away because they were so wonderful!

Yes Barnacks have a jewel like beauty about them, but beauty and convenience are unfortunately different subjects.

Stephen
I'm loving my Nikon S2 that I just got for my 60th birthday - it's the best of both Leica III & Contax II plus some things Nikon did on their own :cool:

Wow! It’s very cool!very good feeling! 👍🏻👍🏻
Leica ii almost 100 years right?😀
Yes, but really the camera is the least of it. His skill honed with lots of practice over many images taken over lots of time gets to that point in 1999. From my own experience I can tell you that for every good image there are other not so good images and for every excellent image there are MANY lesser ones.

I bought my first camera in 1983. I have been a member here since 2004. I'd say I'm finally starting to become an adequate photographer. Don't expect to do so overnight but, OTOH, enjoy the trip and you can have a heck of a lot of fun on the way.

Yes, but really the camera is the least of it. His skill honed with lots of practice over many images taken over lots of time gets to that point in 1999. From my own experience I can tell you that for every good image there are other not so good images and for every excellent image there are MANY lesser ones.

I bought my first camera in 1983. I have been a member here since 2004. I'd say I'm finally starting to become an adequate photographer. Don't expect to do so overnight but, OTOH, enjoy the trip and you can have a heck of a lot of fun on the way.
Thank you encourage!! I know one good photos before must practice many many times! I’m beginner I know my photos must have many problems then, before I tried my photos black only or image out of focus! Hahaha😆😆
But I really happy to be the member here, coz you guys are very helpful, kindness, n love to share experiences with me! Thank you and very appreciated! 🫡😬👍🏻
Btw my English is not very good, sometimes I’m not writing very good here! Hope all the members don’t mind !!😬😬

I'm loving my Nikon S2 that I just got for my 60th birthday - it's the best of both Leica III & Contax II plus some things Nikon did on their own :cool:

I agree, the Nikon's are much more convenient to use than the Leica's. I've had several of both in the past, currently enjoying an S3. I need to try a Contax RF one of these days.
Wayne

Thank you encourage!! I know one good photos before must practice many many times! I’m beginner I know my photos must have many problems then, before I tried my photos black only or image out of focus! Hahaha😆😆
But I really happy to be the member here, coz you guys are very helpful, kindness, n love to share experiences with me! Thank you and very appreciated! 🫡😬👍🏻
Btw my English is not very good, sometimes I’m not writing very good here! Hope all the members don’t mind !!😬😬
Your English is fine. The Pentax is a great camera to start with. I sold a lot of those back in the 70s working my way through school. The teen-age girl that I gave the Pentax to had great success with her first roll of film.

Your instant camera is a "Instax", very nice. Polaroid invented instant photography back in the 1940s. They went bankrupt years ago, but have found a resurgence in popularity.

The Leica II is now over 90 years old. Leica III- slow speeds added, and a 1.5x magnifier in the Rangefinder.
Your Leica was made "around" 1947, is the same age as mine. They are as "retro" as you can get. Save it for after you get some practice with the Pentax and decide with a Passion that you are going to use the same camera as David Douglas Duncan. Now you have to google that name.

For now- it is much more important that you get some practice in film photography rather than use a camera that is now used by the most stubborn group of diehards known to mankind, the Barnack Leica Photographers.

Nikkor_1940s_2.jpg

This is my Leica IIIa, posed with 5 Nikkor lenses from the 1940s. I need to reshoot with the IIIc.
But I got the Leica with a Summar lens for $15. So- no complaints.

Last edited:
In my eyes the Leica III in black/nickel is THE barnack to get. The great 1.5X rangefinder, the inconspicuousness and the indestructibility are the positive aspects of this camera. In addition, the more it is used, the more beautiful it becomes. The number of lenses that can be used on it is infinite, but the black Color Skopar 50mm f2.5 in particular fits this camera particularly well. Add a SBOOI mirror viewfinder and you have a top camera that will last your entire life.

gelatin silver print (color skopar 50mm f2.5) leica lll black

Utrecht, 2023

Erik.

1697536649461.png

Back