Yashica LTM Film Leader length for Zorki 1 ?

Yashica M39 M39 screw mount bodies/lenses
arbib said:
With practice, I can get it down to 45s....I hope.

:D

Once you've mastered the routine it's possible to do it in under 20 secs. Not including the counter resetting. My average time with Zorki is about 20 secs. A friend once timed me loading the Leica -starting from pulling out the take-up up to locking the baseplate- took 15 secs. :D

Jay

ZorkiKat

I called my dad last night about the Zorki, He said he had a Leica Bottom loader, and he hated loaded it. But yet he has used a Contax also, and found that he Liked the Contax better.

I can see getting down to 30s, But 15s ??? I will have to put my DSLR down and use my Zorki to have enough practice. But the cost is too restrictive. $11.00 to Dev and Scan to Hi Res CD per roll. So I shoot a about 2 rolls a month with the Z/1e.

I just won a Industar 50. So now I have nice compact 35mm RF that does fit my Sweat Shirt pocket !!

arbib said:
ZorkiKat

I called my dad last night about the Zorki, He said he had a Leica Bottom loader, and he hated loaded it. But yet he has used a Contax also, and found that he Liked the Contax better.

I can see getting down to 30s, But 15s ??? I will have to put my DSLR down and use my Zorki to have enough practice. But the cost is too restrictive. $11.00 to Dev and Scan to Hi Res CD per roll. So I shoot a about 2 rolls a month with the Z/1e.

I just won a Industar 50. So now I have nice compact 35mm RF that does fit my Sweat Shirt pocket !!

Arbib

I wouldn't believe that 15s was possible too, until we started timing the loading and threading processes. I've been using bottom loaders (both FED and Leica) again for the past two weeks extensively.

Film and processing costs are indeed expensive. That's why we have to think about the shots first.:D. I do my own developing for BW and Colour negatives, and scan them on an Epson scanner. That keeps the costs down, but film is still expensive. The BW rolls I'm using now comes from abroad.

I wonder if your dad still remembers step # 2 in loading Contax cameras. Step #1 is removing the back. Step #2 is crouching on all fours on the floor to find and retrieve the take-up spool which jumps out of the camera once the back goes off :D :D :D

Jay

Last edited:
Don't know if anyone is following this thread still. As I said, my IIIc's instruction booklet (English language, printed in Germany) shows the cut beginning after the 23rd perforation. I have just come across a similar illustration from a IIIf instruction booklet, printed in the U.S., which shows the cut beginning after the 21st perforation. Confirms my suspicion that one does not need to be paranoid about leader length.

Attachments

• iiif.jpg
    iiif.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 0
payasam said:
Don't know if anyone is following this thread still. As I said, my IIIc's instruction booklet (English language, printed in Germany) shows the cut beginning after the 23rd perforation. I have just come across a similar illustration from a IIIf instruction booklet, printed in the U.S., which shows the cut beginning after the 21st perforation. Confirms my suspicion that one does not need to be paranoid about leader length.

Thanks for the added info.
Still keeping track (OP)

Just common sense

Just common sense

Having recently unretired my IIIf, it seems that the leader should be roughly the length of the body. The main thing is to make sure that the sprockets engage into the advance wheel.... There must be many a Leica user over the years who missed the sprocket and "exposed" many shots with the film sitting in the casette.

No wonder that Alfred Eisenstadt never let anyone load his cameras, even his wife, who was a photog herself.

Зарядка фотоаппарата

Зарядка фотоаппарата

An illustration from a 1950 Zorki-1 manual:

zaryadka-fotoapparata.jpg

The description for this illustration (on the next page), reads:

"Bытяните из кассеты конец пленки длиною не более 10 см, обрежьте его аккуратно по форме или с помощью специального шаблона."

which translates to English as:

"Extend from the cassette the end of the film with a length not of more than 10 cm, cut it accurately according to the form or with the aid of the special template."

Last edited:
Well today I tried the Trim Guide I got off E'Bay. It worked fine. Loaded without a hitch.
I did not count the sprockets. but the length was fine.
I have not used the Z1 for a few weeks. I had film to pick up, a few rolls, so Now that I have cought up again. I took it out today with the J8 and used my shoe mount Vivatar 24 Meter.. Some Bench and Chair snaps for W/NW topics.

Back