It's Red Oktober 2020!

farlymac

PF McFarland
Local time
5:21 PM
Grab your FED's and Zorki's or whatever FSU camera and lens you have, and start capturing images taken in the month of October, then post them here.

As always, FSU means anything manufactured before December 31, 1991 (the fall of the Soviet Union), and it can be just the camera body with a modern lens, or a lens on a modern body. Not limited to rangefinder cameras, folders, SLRs, and 120 or larger are welcome too.

PF

Once I fill up the current roll in my Leica, I might grab something Red;
Kiev, FED, Zorki or Agat....choices, choices.

Okay, I don't have any Russian cameras, but I have three Russian lenses. I will get out my Zenit fisheye, Industar 50/3.5 Elmar clone, and Jupiter-8 to shoot a few shots and post them!

Once I fill up the current roll in my Leica, I might grab something Red;
Kiev, FED, Zorki or Agat....choices, choices.

No hurry, red October was in fact in November (Oct was in Old Style calendar). This was you can shoot FSU both in Oct and Nov, I guess...

No hurry, red October was in fact in November (Oct was in Old Style calendar). This was you can shoot FSU both in Oct and Nov, I guess...

Really, it was in November? Which calendar had it that way? I have this theory that October was meant to be in the 8th month, because oct means eight; September was the seventh month, because sept means seven, November the ninth month, since "no" or "nov" prefix means nine; and December is then the tenth month since dec means "decade" or ten. The eleventh month would then be January, and February would be the twelfth month. That way, the new year would start in the springtime in March. Spring is a renewal of life, so it seems logical for it to be the beginning of the year.

But I don't know if there was ever a calendar that had it that way. Was there a Russian calendar that October as the eleventh month, or how did it go?

Wierd, I just loaded the Zorki 3m with ilford FP4. I didn't even think about Red October, and here I'm ready for it.
I'm going to be reactionary and get some "capitalistic" photos.

Really, it was in November? Which calendar had it that way? I have this theory that October was meant to be in the 8th month, because oct means eight; September was the seventh month, because sept means seven, November the ninth month, since "no" or "nov" prefix means nine; and December is then the tenth month since dec means "decade" or ten. The eleventh month would then be January, and February would be the twelfth month. That way, the new year would start in the springtime in March. Spring is a renewal of life, so it seems logical for it to be the beginning of the year.

But I don't know if there was ever a calendar that had it that way. Was there a Russian calendar that October as the eleventh month, or how did it go?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Style_and_New_Style_dates

Then, of course, we assume that red Oct references the Oct revolution (25th of Oct 1918) which was on Nov 7th in today’s calendar...

Sure, one can think of Red October submarine commanded by Marko Ramius, but the submarine itself was named to celebrate the Nov 7th revolution anyway...

My Zorki is under the weather for some reason. Hopefully I can tinker with it and get it back to good shooting form! I like shooting with it.

Just for the sake of clarity, we here on RFF are only using the current calendar October 1st to 31st, 2020. Of course, on the Flickr site you can post images from any year, as long as they were taken in October.

If you would like to post photos taken with your FSU gear from any other time of the year please visit the Flickr site for Union of Soviet Camera Photography.

PF

Just for the sake of clarity, we here on RFF are only using the current calendar October 1st to 31st, 2020. Of course, on the Flickr site you can post images from any year, as long as they were taken in October.

If you would like to post photos taken with your FSU gear from any other time of the year please visit the Flickr site for Union of Soviet Camera Photography.

PF

No intention to break any rules, really. It was a bit of off topic joke/comment meant to point out that the “original red October” did not happen in October...

uh, maybe this is the right trigger to test the Horizon after I implanted the new lens light seal

I'm a bit bummed as I won't be able to participate this year. My Zorki 4 is one of my favorite cameras, and in recent years I really enjoyed participating in RFF's Red Oktober.
Unfortunately I'm no longer able to go out and shoot so can't participate.
I'll keep an eye on this thread though, and look forward to what everyone shares :)

Got an in-period roll of film!

Got an in-period roll of film!

I bought a roll of Svema Foto 64 with an expiration date of March 1990 so it is within the date range of Red Oktober. Any suggestions on how to expose it? EI of 8 ISO maybe? .

Svema Foto 64 Exp 0390 by Steven Wagner, on Flickr

I bought a roll of Svema Foto 64 with an expiration date of March 1990 so it is within the date range of Red Oktober. Any suggestions on how to expose it? EI of 8 ISO maybe? .

Svema Foto 64 Exp 0390 by Steven Wagner, on Flickr

Shoot it at box speed or 32. I would develop it in Rodinal 1:50 for 11 or 12 minutes. Give it a good presoak before developing, changing the water several times, a big issue with the old Soviet 120 films is transference of fibers from the backing paper to the non-emulsion side of the film.

I'm a bit bummed as I won't be able to participate this year. My Zorki 4 is one of my favorite cameras, and in recent years I really enjoyed participating in RFF's Red Oktober.
I'll keep an eye on this thread though, and look forward to what everyone shares :)

We'll be keeping you in our thoughts, Colton, and hope to put up some typical output for your enjoyment.

PF

I am sorry to hear that Colton. Your work has always inspired me and I will miss your participation.

Strictly from Former Soviet Union ??
Or can we use Former Eastern Block stuff ??
I think of Pentacon lenses or Flexaret TLRs....

Regards
Joao

Back