It's Red Oktober 2020!

Colton,
I am sorry to hear that.

Your photographs are an inspiration to me.
Steve W
I'm a bit bummed as I won't be able to participate this year. My Zorki 4 is one of my favorite cameras, and in recent years I really enjoyed participating in RFF's Red Oktober.
Unfortunately I'm no longer able to go out and shoot so can't participate.
I'll keep an eye on this thread though, and look forward to what everyone shares :)

Shoot it at box speed or 32. I would develop it in Rodinal 1:50 for 11 or 12 minutes. Give it a good presoak before developing, changing the water several times, a big issue with the old Soviet 120 films is transference of fibers from the backing paper to the non-emulsion side of the film.

Thank you for the advice. It will help when I develope this roll.

Steve W

Really, it was in November? Which calendar had it that way? I have this theory that October was meant to be in the 8th month, because oct means eight; September was the seventh month, because sept means seven, November the ninth month, since "no" or "nov" prefix means nine; and December is then the tenth month since dec means "decade" or ten. The eleventh month would then be January, and February would be the twelfth month. That way, the new year would start in the springtime in March. Spring is a renewal of life, so it seems logical for it to be the beginning of the year.

But I don't know if there was ever a calendar that had it that way. Was there a Russian calendar that October as the eleventh month, or how did it go?

Apologies but I sat through Latin lessons for years and thought it a waste of time; so now I get the chance to use it.

Seven, Eight, Nine and Ten in Latin are Septem, Octo, Novem and Decem.

Some names are derived from Latin numbers; f'instance Secunda and Septimus and Secundus for the second (female), seventh (male) and second (male). We were told that only the first born had a proper name the rest had numbers.

Regards, David

PS And you're lucky that I forgot how to write dates in Latin although we all know about the ides of March...

What cut off dates?

German unification and the Long March are totally different dates...

Regards, David

The Fall of the Soviet Union (December 31, 1991) is considered the cut-off for any FSU or Soviet Block states. For Chinese made cameras it's kind of open ended, so I refer you to this site for inspiration. And long lists of camera brands.

PF

The Fall of the Soviet Union (December 31, 1991) is considered the cut-off for any FSU or Soviet Block states. For Chinese made cameras it's kind of open ended, so I refer you to this site for inspiration. And long lists of camera brands.

PF

That was the point of my question...

Regards, David

That was the point of my question...

Regards, David

Well, I don't think you can count any "Made In China" Nikon gear in with the FSU stuff.:D

Cameras that are native to China, and made in the same time frame as the FSU requirement are acceptable, though it may be hard to determine actual manufacture dates on certain models. Just use the aforementioned site as a guide to what is acceptable.

PF

M 39 SLR lenses

M 39 SLR lenses

Kristall SLR camera (KMZ 1961-1962), art-deco top with grey hammered paint.
Seldom mentioned M39 lenses: MIR-1 2,8/37 and TAIR-11 2,6/133.

TAIR-11 2,6 /133 lens

MIR-1 2,8/37 lens

Regards
Joao

If you're into making your own developers, the time on the box is for ST-2 which is a simple metol-based standard Soviet developer.

Otherwise, I would try something like D-76; at least in my experience Soviet films work best with M or MQ developers. I would say shoot at EI32 or 16.

I bought a roll of Svema Foto 64 with an expiration date of March 1990 so it is within the date range of Red Oktober. Any suggestions on how to expose it? EI of 8 ISO maybe? .

Svema Foto 64 Exp 0390 by Steven Wagner, on Flickr

Back