Leica LTM Leica Screw Mount Conversions - Show Yours

Leica M39 screw mount bodies/lenses
That looks like a I to II conversion. Like you said no slow speed dial, it also doesn't have strap lugs and doesn't look like it has an adjustable diopter on the RF winder. The other thing to look at is look through the RF window (the left window with your right eye) and open both eyes. The II had 1x magnification in the RF window so the image in that window should be the same size as what you see with your left eye. The III would have 1.5x magnification.

Shawn

Yup, a proper I to II pre-war conversion, presumably by the factory. You can clearly see the two screws that used to hold the 'hockey stick of an early I so one can assume the vulcanite is original. Speed dial is of the early large type also. The Hektor looks good also.

I would describe it as "Leica II factory converted from 1929 Leica I" and emphasise the Hektor!

Thank you both!

Thank you both!

I appreciate the input. The image is 1:1 through the viewfinder, so it is a II conversion. I attached two additional images, I was limited to three on the first email. Unfortunately the vulcanite has broken into 4 pieces, a small one in front is missing, the other three are loose but present.

Chris

Attachments

• IMG_0285.jpg
    IMG_0285.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0289.jpg
    IMG_0289.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 2
The 1.5 rangefinder/diopter conversion can be found on post war conversions but I have never seen it on a I to II prewar.
On I to III it was normal and part of the package.

There are a few things for the OP to ponder.

If he is intent on selling then sentiment aside (which I do understand), I'd expect he'd get noticeably more splitting lens from camera, indeed I reckon the lens (if good) is really where the money is.

The value of conversions, unless something really special, is now roughly the same value as what model they are now. Apologies for the English but I hope you get the gist.

It is possible that the lens was converted at the same time as the camera and that originally it was all a Leica I with fixed Hektor. Possible but then they only made 1300 or so, therefore unlikely.

'Early lenses have no serial number' This applies to Elmars and earlier, think it may also apply to Hektors.

If the lens has got a serial number on it then being a conversion is unlikely.

Vulcanite. It is a shame that it is split. I've seen some excellent vulcanite repairs using black setting wax etc. If you re-cover the camera it will lose originality and therefore value...but the value is lost already because the vulcanite is split. As far as I am aware the last person to do real vulcanite re-covering has retired. Some choice!
If selling I'd sell in original state which would appeal more to collectors.

The shutter guard is not original.

Apologies for the long post, we are in Tier 4 lockdown and time is on my hands!

Good morning, I thought I would share a few final photos before I separate these for auction on eBay. The lens filters seem unusual with their external mount, the cable came with the camera as far as I know. I looked at the Rangefinderforum auction site, my main goal is to find a nice home, maybe I should not use eBay. I appreciate your feedback.

Chris

Attachments

• IMG_0307.jpg
    IMG_0307.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0308.jpg
    IMG_0308.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0309.jpg
    IMG_0309.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 3
Actually, the rangefinderforum website was very confusing for the auction option, and I have gotten some experience over the past month on eBay, so these are going live on eBay now in 4 lots. Thanks again for helping a novice decipher his dad’s pride and joy. Hope you have a healthy 2021. Chris

Well there are a lot of conversion nowadays offered (thanks to this thread?) - and there is even a Dutch dealer who offers more than 10 about the same conversions all in mint condition . Apparently someone bought a complete lot in the 50-ties and had them stored in a safe.

Picked up #27484 this weekend:cool: A little more brassy and not quite as smooth as the other two. Came with an un-numbered Elmar (maybe the original 1930 converted lens) which was REALLY hard to un-screw.

U26723I1615767957.SEQ.0.jpg

U26723I1615767958.SEQ.1.jpg

Sorry about the low-quality iPhone shots with the word "Text" here - whoops!

How do you like my bizarre body cap? "Longca" - anyone know the story on that?

My Leica II came with the diopter conversion but no strap lugs. So I bought a pair from DAG and got Horst to fit them. Very happy with the set up
U3735I1617410024.SEQ.0.jpg

from the 1930's to the 70's or so, the Leica factory offered "upgrades" from older to new Leica screw mount models.

Show Yours!

Stephen
I have a 1937 90mm f4 Elmar which was converted by Leica to M mount in the 1960s. Unusually, I think, the adapter is held in place by 4 screws so possibly not reversible. The screws are 2mm flat blade but none of my Japanese Vessel screwdrivers fit. The taper of the 2mm blade is too bevelled to enter the slot. It looks as if you’d need a parallel sided screwdriver tip. Does anyone know if this factory conversion is reversible and/ or there is a screwdriver with these qualities?

Looking in an old magazine today (1938 I think) I noticed an advert for Leica conversions and what couldn't be done, of course.

One of the conversions offered was black to chrome...

Regards, David

Questions about the II syn

(in other words a post war factory conversion of I or II synchronised with a shutter dial with flash values etc)

Do they all have diopter adjustment?
Do they all have 1/1000th?
Do they all have strap lugs?

Michael, I have a II syn. Really like new. I keep it wrapped in plastic. But:

It has the diopter adjustment.

It has the 1/1000th.

It has strap lugs.

It also has the modern logo, is in black paint and has M-type vulcanite.

Unfortunately I hate flash synch on these cameras. I would like to exchange this camera for the same one (also in the same condition), but then without flash sync.

Erik.

Back