Pointless post or end of an era?

underlord

Well-known
Local time
8:24 PM
I recently took delivery of a fine looking and seemingly fully functioning Fuji GS645. The true test of buying a film camera is of course to load it and shoot it. Like many people here I have bought many cameras. Invariably these cameras sometimes need a little attention. Such was the case with the GS645. For the past fifteen years my go to camera repair shop was Newton Ellis ( happily for me) in Liverpool, Merseyside UK. The place of my birth and now I live just 13 miles away. I love this vintage camera shop. Mostly because they were old school and not just because they repaired vintage cameras. I was thrilled to see when I went in there to book a camera in for attention, they used a small booking form with carbon paper copies! It was reassuring to see. These guys shunned computers and I was in a comfortable place.
Now to the present day and my GS645 needed some TLC. I looked online and discovered to my dismay they would cease to exist sometime late this year. It's worth mentioning, most of the guys who work at Newton Ellis are of a certain age. I'm 62 and only rekindled my love for film cameras around fifteen years ago. These guys were caring for camera long before that. Newton Ellis were established in 1948 but I'm not sure of any 'original' members of staff but no-one who works there is young.
There's not much point to this post but I felt compelled to share. I'm saddened and not just for my own selfish reasons. I will go there on Monday with my poorly GS645 and it will be a last repair. Hopefully they will allow me to take some shots as a memento.

Last edited:
There are some bright notes. My favorite local repair person (younger than I, but not young) has taken on an apprentice who is college age and quite enthusiastic. She has proven herself quite capable as well. And we're talking real repairs of classic mechanical cameras, not just shipping out digital point-and-shoots to a manufacturer who might (but probably won't) repair them if past warranty. I'm guardedly optimistic, and that's certainly not my default setting!
But no, underlord's post is not pointless. Good repair people are becoming few and far between, and we should treasure and support those we have.

Not a pointless and agree it’s always a loss. As RG said, there are also high points. Alan Starkie’s son is working with his Dad at Camerawork’s UK, so there is the prospect of continuity if Alan decides to hang up his tools. Leica only mind.

I spoke in my previous post about treasuring and supporting the repair folks we do have. I think we need to be willing to put our money where our mouths are; whenever possible, accept that the high price of repairing a mechanical camera, or even just getting a thorough CLA, is appropriate given the skill and time involved. And if possible, keeping those repairs local feeds that money back into our communities.
I've taken a number of large format lenses to my local person for CLAs on sluggish shutters. The cost on each could probably have purchased a replacement (ideally, working!) on eBay, but I liked the confidence in knowing my lenses would continue to function accurately, I liked giving the business to my repair person, and I liked the thought that I was keeping good equipment alive and in useable condition for someone else in the future. Everybody benefits!
Nothing makes me angrier than reading comments on-line to the effect that "Nikkormats (or whatever) are so cheap, if yours breaks, just get another one!" Those Nikkormats are of a limited and ever-diminishing quantity; those same people will be the ones to eventually bemoan the lack of decent cameras at any price for the next generation of film photographers.
If we provide our repair people with work, and pay them well for it, a new generation will follow.

Such a shame - they worked on a Minolta XD-7 i had which would erratically jam. They did a great job. they even replaced the focusing screen which had a small crack.
I contacted them last year regarding my Leica IIc to get a quote but never got back to me.

I suspect we will see more repair people working on cameras privately rather than camera shops that you can bring equipment in for repair. SO- as suggested above, ask of any will be working out of their home and still doing repairs for clients.

I suspect we will see more repair people working on cameras privately rather than camera shops that you can bring equipment in for repair. SO- as suggested above, ask of any will be working out of their home and still doing repairs for clients.
Dear Brian,

I understand and totally agree with your post. The possibility certainly exists for someone who formerly worked for the shop to do private work.

At the same time, I also understand underlord's original post. Maybe I'm misrepresenting him here, but I think a big part of his grief is that buying and dealing locally is quickly fading away. I'll admit that I buy 90% of all gear for every hobby I have from sellers far away. It's pretty much become my only choice.

I miss walking into a place, striking up a conversation, and buying something even if it amounts to almost nothing. I can then return and work on building a relationship with the shop owner or his/her employees to the point where they become the preferred place for me to shop. I've done that many times, but I am sure for me in my area that is dead.

The personal touch means a great deal to me. Surely, I'm not the only one?

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Harrisburg PA

Time brings change. If it didn't, I'd be worried.

Biggest change for me is the loss of David Odess. He has been my go to Hasselblad service wizard for 2-3 decades. Eventually a back will need to be overhauled, or a lens, or a body ... Have to start looking for a new technician, I guess. The other tech I used to hire for my stuff retired at the beginning of the pandemic lockdown .. He was already 84 and not well, so he just said, "Ach, that's enough."

New people will surface. Have faith.

G

At the same time, I also understand underlord's original post. Maybe I'm misrepresenting him here, but I think a big part of his grief is that buying and dealing locally is quickly fading away. I'll admit that I buy 90% of all gear for every hobby I have from sellers far away. It's pretty much become my only choice.

I miss walking into a place, striking up a conversation, and buying something even if it amounts to almost nothing. I can then return and work on building a relationship with the shop owner or his/her employees to the point where they become the preferred place for me to shop. I've done that many times, but I am sure for me in my area that is dead.

The personal touch means a great deal to me. Surely, I'm not the only one?
I'm fortunate in Melbourne to have built relationships with a couple of independent dealers over the past 15+ years. When both of them moved from the Melbourne CBD, I followed them into the suburbs and continue to shop with them. They sometimes hand me the keys to cabinets because they know I do the right thing. Your comment struck a chord with me because I've never thought what it would be like if those shops no longer existed.

I'm fortunate in Melbourne to have built relationships with a couple of independent dealers over the past 15+ years. When both of them moved from the Melbourne CBD, I followed them into the suburbs and continue to shop with them. They sometimes hand me the keys to cabinets because they know I do the right thing. Your comment struck a chord with me because I've never thought what it would be like if those shops no longer existed.
Dear Archiver,

I realize this isn't a photography post but bear with me. Long ago in a land and far, far away, my brother and I had the house keys and the helm of a fly-fishing shop in the Pocono Mountains in Pennsylvania on weekends when the owner went off to the big fly-fishing shows in the Winter. We did well for him and enjoyed doing it for him.

We earned his trust by being loyal customers for many years. It was something that wasn't uncommon in the late 1980's - early 1990's when it happened. Today, unless you are fortunate enough to have a brick-and-mortar shop that you frequent close by to you it is impossible. I've lost all brick-and-mortar shops for all of my hobbies in the past decade or so.

I'm 63 years old, soon to be 64. Not old by most standards, but old enough to really miss the actual person to person interactions that happened back in the day.

My heart clouds my posts from time to time. Hopefully, you and others understand that.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Harrisburg PA :)

Time brings change. If it didn't, I'd be worried.

Biggest change for me is the loss of David Odess. He has been my go to Hasselblad service wizard for 2-3 decades. Eventually a back will need to be overhauled, or a lens, or a body ... Have to start looking for a new technician, I guess. The other tech I used to hire for my stuff retired at the beginning of the pandemic lockdown .. He was already 84 and not well, so he just said, "Ach, that's enough."

New people will surface. Have faith.

G
@Godfrey, this person is held in high regard in the community (Dave Odess was his mentor). I think @Vince Lupo has used his services in the past. He is also located in Massachusetts.

About Me​

I have been an avid photographer for 35 years and a camera repair person for the past 25. Hasselblad is my passion and I have the factory jigs, tools, manuals and experience to service most Hasselblad V series cameras. David Odess was my mentor and teacher and I aim to carry on his tradition of excellent service with a focus on detail and customer satisfaction. I also have a lot of experience working on Rolleiflex TLR cameras and can perform a complete overhaul of any of the range from the early cameras to the 2.8F. I have a workshop and darkroom in Western Massachussetts where I repair cameras, develop film and print photos. I would be happy to work on your camera, talk repair, or discuss film photography.
Feel free to contact me via email: [email protected]

He also has an eBay presence
gold_shino

gold_shino

I miss the camera shows that used to be every couple of months. Done in by Covid, then mostly age of the sellers. The younger ones went online.
So do I. It has been a long time since I have been at a camera show.. It was always great fun just to browse and chat with people. And I almost always purchased something whether I needed it or not.

@Godfrey, this person is held in high regard in the community (Dave Odess was his mentor). I think @Vince Lupo has used his services in the past. He is also located in Massachusetts.

He also has an eBay presence
gold_shino

gold_shino

Jim Kilroy is great, and there is also Kiwi Camera Repair in Florida who do Hasselblad repairs. They overhauled a 500C/M of mine a year or so ago and they did top-notch work. So repair folks still do exist.

But yeah I do get it - I have a number of vintage wristwatches (Elgin, Waltham etc) that need servicing of one kind or another and I won’t do it because really they aren’t worth it. They’ve become pretty much disposable, which is unfortunate, and I suspect some cameras may become like that.

Last edited:
I miss the camera shows that used to be every couple of months. Done in by Covid, then mostly age of the sellers. The younger ones went online.

I miss them too. We only had a couple per year around here, but I would get a table at many of them. It wasn't as much about selling stuff as it was talking cameras with people that came by. A lot of times something laying on the table would spark good conversations with both visitors and other table holders. Many times I seemed to leave the shows with more stuff than I arrived with.

Back