Pointless post or end of an era?

Jim Kilroy is great, and there is also Kiwi Camera Repair in Florida who do Hasselblad repairs. They overhauled a 500C/M of mine a year or so ago and they did top-notch work. So repair folks still do exist.

But yeah I do get it - I have a number of vintage wristwatches (Elgin, Waltham etc) that need servicing of one kind or another and I won’t do it because really they aren’t worth it. They’ve become pretty much disposable, which is unfortunate, and I suspect some cameras may become like that.
And thank you, Vince, as well. Another for my Contacts... :D

There is a great overview and discussion of the problem of keeping vintage film cameras working in this video, as well as a tour of Kamerastore in Finland:

In that video, the owner of Kamerastore outlines two possible futures: older repair shops with skills continue to narrow their focus to single brands/types of cameras (while taking on apprentices) while accumulating a large stash of parts; and larger operations like Kamerastore that work to preserve a broad cross section of film gear.

Enjoy!

@Godfrey, this person is held in high regard in the community (Dave Odess was his mentor). I think @Vince Lupo has used his services in the past. He is also located in Massachusetts.

He also has an eBay presence
gold_shino

gold_shino

Really good to know this. I'm not too far from there ("there" being Western Massachusetts, which doesn't narrow it down much). Regardless, someone who's good on Rollei TLRs and Hasselblads is a valuable resource, for sure.

As I was reading this, it occurs to me that a number of folks on RFF are very knowledgeable about repairs on certain cameras and/or lenses and perhaps are themselves willing and able to undertake work for others here? I can think of a couple of examples where folks have offered to do work for me -- and have done so at quite fair prices (even gratis).

Some of these folks maybe are willing to offer their services to other RFF'ers, under whatever terms they decide? I can see that they might want to simply work only on their own gear, but I thought I'd raise the idea.

Harry Fleenor (So Cal) has brought his son into the business.
Walter's Camera Repair in Los Angeles has a new generation of really good and passionate people,

Back