Prague

Prague, National Theatre - if I remember correctly

Reflection by João Avelar, on Flickr
Yes, it’s the new stage (Nóva scená) of Národní Divadlo, the National Theatre, by Karel Prager (1983). Thirty years ago the locals used to call it “Xmrzlý moč“ - the “frozen piss“ building, but it seems now to be lauded as a triumph of modern design.

Last edited:
I was in Prague in the late 90s. I just remember the cameras. So many of them in all the little camera shops. I bought a Hasselbladski which really stunk, and some Zeiss lenses for it which were fantastic. I still have the Patent Etui I bought in a little shop. The guy said in German that it was for a woman which cracked me up. I'm sure all those little camera shops are gone. Probably all a McDonalds by now.

1997-047-05_twoloversprague97.jpg

Someone didn't appreciate the "gentrification" I guess you'd call it after the velvet revolution.

View attachment 4826904
To be fair, those cameras you saw in the little second hand stores in the 90s would mostly have been sold by people who had gone from having a pretty comfortable, if limited, existence, to being functionally poverty stricken overnight. The economic situation is good and improving now, but the transition following the revolution of 1989 was very rough for a lot of people.

To be fair, those cameras you saw in the little second hand stores in the 90s would mostly have been sold by people who had gone from having a pretty comfortable, if limited, existence, to being functionally poverty stricken overnight. The economic situation is good and improving now, but the transition following the revolution of 1989 was very rough for a lot of people.
Yeah, that was what my McDonald's comment in the other post was about.

Back