Rajasthan

I see now that it is a picture on film, isn't it?
No, it’s taken with the Leica M10 Monochrom.

In 2023 it would have been very difficult to travel with film; there are a lot of CT type scanners and there is no right to hand inspection in a lot of countries. Security in India is very tight, and I went through enough airports that I didn’t want to slow myself down.

I think it’s artefacts from the duststorm we were in and slight underexposure. I also added a little more texture and grain to this one because the dirt there comes out weirdly flat in photos a lot of the time.
What I also notice is that the tonal coverage of the photos on the internet keeps changing all the time.

Do you mean differences between my individual photos? I edit them quickly on my iPad and haven’t aimed for consistency.
No, I mean in general. It's as if the photos are getting lighter and lighter. They do not always have the same tonality throughout the day and they become lighter over time. It's like they're bleaching out. It may be a European phenomenon that you in the US do not notice.

No, I mean in general. It's as if the photos are getting lighter and lighter. They do not always have the same tonality throughout the day and they become lighter over time. It's like they're bleaching out. It may be a European phenomenon that you in the US do not notice.
I am in Australia, not the US, but it sounds like you have a device setting that is automatically changing screen brightness and contrast in response to ambient lighting. But without being there and checking your computer I can’t be sure.

Do you mean differences between my individual photos? I edit them quickly on my iPad and haven’t aimed for consistency.
No, I said that in general, not about your work. It is an annoying phenomenon that means I have to keep updating my photos on the internet. I wanted to know if you also suffer from that.

No, it is not an device of myself. The phenomenon is as if the photos on the internet are slowly being bleached. Could take months or years. Restoring them keeps me busy.

No, I said that in general, not about your work. It is an annoying phenomenon that means I have to keep updating my photos on the internet. I wanted to know if you also suffer from that.

No, it is not an device of myself. The phenomenon is as if the photos on the internet are slowly being bleached. Could take months or years. Restoring them keeps me busy.
Your monitor is drifting Erik. Don’t restore your photos; get a calibration tool and use it.

Can someone in Holland or nearby help Erik?
Nobody I know has such a device. If you can point out where I can find more info about it on the web I am grateful to you! The name of the device is: "colorchecker display plus".

Unfortunately my time now is up, I have an appointment right away.

Very much enjoying your series, Marty. I've been to India many times, but never to Rajasthan.

Folks have said my photos should be in color to reflect the nature of the country. Nah. The M10M does a great job, and I like your relatively straight processing with all those middle grays.

John

Erik, no disrespect intended, but I notice that many of the images you post here look dark and muddy, but I’d always assumed it was your personal style. Could it be your monitor? I like your compositions, they just look a bit dark.

Erik, no disrespect intended, but I notice that many of the images you post here look dark and muddy, but I’d always assumed it was your personal style. Could it be your monitor? I like your compositions, they just look a bit dark.

Maybe the moderators of the various websites take Erik’s photos and lighten them… but then Erik comes back re-uploading the darker ones?

Back