W/NW Gas Stations

Personally, I am much more interested in where and when and not cameras, f-stops, and those technical details. But that is just me.

At the Speedway station, West Chicago IL. Despite the "big city"-sounding name, West Chicago is really just a small suburb out towards the periphery of the Chicago metropolitan area. Right across from the gas station, is a very large sod farm.... A place where they grow grass to be cut and rolled into sod for re-planting.

Kiev 4, Jupiter 8M 50mm/f2, Kodak Gold 200.

tAXi3S.jpg

Just guessing, I think I shoot this in the late 70’s. It’s just a few miles from where some of my family lived and I can remember as a kid when it was still operating. Unfortunately it pretty much a pile of rocks now.

Attachments

• Hwy 70 round station 1.jpeg
    Hwy 70 round station 1.jpeg
    222 KB · Views: 5
Shot about 20 years ago south of Savannah Ga.

The second is scanned from a print and was shot about 8 years ago. It on a state highway in the middle of nowhere.

Attachments

• IMG_5259.jpeg
    IMG_5259.jpeg
    294.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Georgia Store.jpeg
    Georgia Store.jpeg
    183.4 KB · Views: 5
I shot this around 1976 and is just a few miles from my home. The building exists today but has been closed for decades.

The second image was shot in Cruso NC in the mid to late 70’s. It’s a remote area and a friend said it was abandon in the thirties. I was over that way a year ago and couldn’t locate it and figured it had been torn down.

The third was shot in the late 70’s also. Like so many others it was torn down.

Sad to see these disappear.

Attachments

• Greenways 2.jpeg
    Greenways 2.jpeg
    115.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Cruso NC .jpeg
    Cruso NC .jpeg
    185.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Amoco Service and Grocery.jpeg
    Amoco Service and Grocery.jpeg
    437.9 KB · Views: 5
In 1987 I was riding a bicycle with two friends going from San Francisco to New York, by way of Spokane (a big "L" for those of you who are not US based). I am pretty sure that this snap was in Oregon's high desert. Camera was certainly a Pentax K1000 50/1.7 with red filter. Probably Iford Delta 400 film, as that was what I was hand-rolling in those days to be able to afford to shoot at all. Exposure is unrecorded, but since it was in direct sun there probably weren't that many choices, even with a red filter on there. Probably f:8 at 1/500th or so.

Miss those vistas. . . .

1716569933596.jpeg

Back