Canon LTM Canon P vs 7s

Canon M39 M39 screw mount bodies/lenses
@TenEleven , that's an incredible write-up on the models. Thanks!

I have just one quibble -- I think it would be more accurate to say that the "P" looks like the VI. :), as the P was a follow-up economy version of the VI. Imho, the VI's viewfinder system overall is far better than the P. The rotating magnification VF is one of the great, ultimately unrealized concepts in rangefinder camera technology, as the VI could really have used a parallax-corrected 35mm frameline and perhaps the addition of parallax corrected 100mm / 135mm framelines for the 1.55x view. Also, imho, the VI is an overall a better platform than any of V or L series cameras. VIs are rare but with some patience can be found in affordable condition (I had to get mine overhauled as it looked and smelled like it was stored in a closet for 40 years).

That was a great post, @TenEleven - sums those models up really well. One correction, however:

Early Canons don't have that "goggly eye" (took me a second to understand what you meant there!) - and don't even have the dot on the shutter release to indicate shutter or film movement like the later screwmount Leicas do. The indicator only got added on the VT; anything earlier than that (II, III, IV) is lacking that feature.

Also, I'd argue it doesn't really help with film feed issues, as it is linked to the shutter advance, not the film transport. Cocking the shutter with an empty camera still causes the "goggly eye" to move.
Yeah you are right of course, I should have clarified that I meant within the four models I have listed. And yes of course, if you don't thread the film in properly then the indicator will not help you much. It would have been indeed better if it moved independently. I've amended the post.

@TenEleven , that's an incredible write-up on the models. Thanks!

I have just one quibble -- I think it would be more accurate to say that the "P" looks like the VI. :), as the P was a follow-up economy version of the VI. Imho, the VI's viewfinder system overall is far better than the P. The rotating magnification VF is one of the great, ultimately unrealized concepts in rangefinder camera technology, as the VI could really have used a parallax-corrected 35mm frameline and perhaps the addition of parallax corrected 100mm / 135mm framelines for the 1.55x view. Also, imho, the VI is an overall a better platform than any of V or L series cameras. VIs are rare but with some patience can be found in affordable condition (I had to get mine overhauled as it looked and smelled like it was stored in a closet for 40 years).

You're right of course that the P is based on the VIL (or 6L as it's sometimes called) - however as with regards to the shooting platform, I think that may be personal preference.
I already pointed out that the VF/RF of the VIL is better than the P usually but still follows the van albada principle for the frame-lines which makes them... okay not fantastic.
As stated I have overhauled copies of each of the four cameras, and for RF patch contrast nothing beats the L1 it has the hardest most clearly defined outline of the four for it's RF patch - you do get a smaller more peephole-y viewfinder but that's the trade-off.

Edit: for a 35mm lens, the VIL is the clear winner though, no doubt in my mind. The 35mm frameline on the P (OT: and on the Nikon S3) feels like a bit of a joke to me. You can use it in an emergency, but it's not what I would describe as good.

To be clear I love my VIL and have shot many great "keepers" with it - but the point of this list is not to declare any one camera "the best", because I think there is no such thing.But help people find the one that suits their needs the best.

Last edited:
Reactions: das
Is the VI-L's patch similar to the VL's coolish/blue patch vs the yellowish one on the L1/L2 bodies? I found the patch on the VL and L1/L2 I have both on par with each other. Found no issues focusing wide open with the CV 50mm 1.5

I bought a poor condition VL that snapped its shutter curtain ribbons a month after I got it (ebay GAS lol). Not sure what I am going to do with it...as I have an L1 and L2 that are both in good shape, but sort of want some sort of frankenstein model, just not sure who would be willing to take on such a project.

To my eye it looks to be a warm yellow-ish however the tint is a lot less intense than on the earlier Lx models. The P and 7 is a similar soft yellowish tone too.
The VLx models really are the odd guys out with their silver patches.

I own and use both Canon P and 7. My recommendation: Choose the lens first, then the camera. For me, P works well with smaller lenses, 7 with larger and heavier ones.

I've got an L1 and I glued on the metal viewfinder a thick rubber O ring onto the back and it works just fine.

Back