Bill Pierce

Well-known
Local time
12:12 AM
Happy New Year and thank you to the regulars on this channel who have turned a few introductory remarks from me into interesting and informative threads.

What’s up for 2022? My guess is that were going to see the effective end of the DSLR camera. The SLR in all its forms has dominated the small camera arena almost since its introduction. But it’s complicated to make. Mirrorless eliminates a lot of parts and solves some of the focusing problems inherent in mirror systems. Simpler and better - that’s not bad. At the same time we see newer designs replacing mechanics with electronics. I think all of these changes lead to lower manufacturing costs, something that must please digital camera manufactures as they see cell phones replacing lower priced cameras and their business moving to higher end products.

On a negative note, I’m not fond of what I see with the leader of the APS-c cameras, Fuji. Given the proper processing (I’m an Iridient fan for Fuji.) these cameras gave excellent image quality in cameras that offered options for smaller size in both body and lens, a very useful feature. Looking over the Fuji announcements, it looks like they are going to be concentrating on medium format for improved designs rather than their APS-c models. We may have to eat our words when we see the H2 models. I hope so.

We shouldn’t end on a negative note. Right now I don’t think what brand of full frame you use, Sony, Nikon, Canon, Leica, Panasonic, whether you use the lenses of the camera maker or third party lenses - it’s going to be a good year.

Your thoughts and your hopes for 2022?

What official announcements have you seen that indicates Fujifilm will not continue forward development of APS-C models?

What official announcements have you seen that indicates Fujifilm will not continue forward development of APS-C models?

Recent introductions have featured relatively insignificant changes or improvements compared to their predecessors. To me this is a real change and one that, perhaps, was foretold by their new chairman's statement on Fuji's emphasis on their healthcare arena, e.t.c..

On a negative note, I’m not fond of what I see with the leader of the APS-c cameras, Fuji. Given the proper processing (I’m an Iridient fan for Fuji.) these cameras gave excellent image quality in cameras that offered options for smaller size in both body and lens, a very useful feature. Looking over the Fuji announcements, it looks like they are going to be concentrating on medium format for improved designs rather than their APS-c models. We may have to eat our words when we see the H2 models. I hope so.
I am happy with my XT2. As a consumer, I don't need Fuji to come out with a new camera every year. A jump from 24MP to 26MP in the XT4 doesn't exactly have me lunging for the Buy button. Any upgrade would be to a 60MP FF or the Fuji GFX, neither of which are required for my relatively modest size platinum palladium prints. Of course, Fuji may need to come out with a new camera every year to keep the cash coming in.

Dunno, there was a fairly big change from the X-T3 to the X-T4. Not sure what else can be done to differentiate the lower end models, just incremental improvements here and there.

Dunno, there was a fairly big change from the X-T3 to the X-T4. Not sure what else can be done to differentiate the lower end models, just incremental improvements here and there.

I am not sure there were any really significant improvements from the XT2 to the XT3. Whatever they were didn't trigger a buy impulse for me. I acknowledge that an incremental improvement in one area may be important to certain photographers and unimportant to others. For example, if you shoot sports, the increase from 8FPS to 11FPS might be a good reason to upgrade. It is irrelevant to me.

I'm hoping that Bill will be proven wrong in his observation, but I don't expect to see a lot of APS-c stuff until last 2022. My guess is there is a much higher margin and less competition at their price point for MF Mirrorless than in APS-c. I'm hoping Fuji will create a strong niche/market for MF cameras and that folks in the maker and adapter community will come up with some kick-butt ways to adapt a LOT of great older MF/LF glass to their bodies. While size is not one of them, there are some intriguing aspects of MF digital over APS-c that would be fun to explore. So many aspect of IQ to explore as we move down this digital road.

I think there are two aspects of why Fuji appears to of slowed down on APS-c innovation. First, they have a good handle on what people want in their lines of XE, X-Pro, X-T, and X100. They can see that the other stuff will be gobbled up by smart-phones completely in another two or three years at most. I think they have a limit of great engineers, some of whom have gone over to the GF side of the house. Trickling down for technology, in size, ability, cost works, though just often not as quick as many of us wish.

2022 will be an interesting year. As we learn how to live with Covid-19 and all it's fun variants businesses will find their new normal.

I'm hoping everyone has a great year, stays, safe, healthy, and happy. And for you Bill, PLEASE keep sharing, questioning, and creating!

B2 (;->

While there are many, many out there who have money in hand with a desire for The New Big Thing, from what I've read on forums and photo websites, I'm not sure the camera makers are going to be very happy with 2022. Maybe more so than the last few years but I don't see a lot of excitement being generated. Young folks are more into phones and us older photo enthusiasts are...well, dying off. And some of us old guys feel they have what they need and they are content with their present gear. Certainly I don't have any enthusiasm for any new goodies. I'm planning on selling off a bunch of stuff this year. There's so many cameras and lenses around my house that aren't being used I'm embarrassed to admit it.

APS-C was the red-headed stepchild of camera makers until Fuji burst forth with support for the format. I do hope Fuji doesn't bail out--and I doubt that happening. What is encouraging for Fuji shooters are the third party lenses coming along, especially those from China. But I don't see APS-C going away or almost disappearing like M4/3 appears to be doing.

I'm sad to see the old SLR fade away. I really enjoy using my DSLRs and I expect I'll still be shooting with them until I traipse off into that bright light. I'm still plagued with limitations using EVFs despite continuing to plug along. Maybe after I have cataract surgery I won't find myself unable to see through the damn things when shooting in bright light. Maybe not. Either way I enjoy the view of an optical viewfinder, either a direct view or one using mirrors and prisms. It gives depth and dimension to the subject more so than EVF, at least in my eyes.

In any event, in 2022 I hope to just keep on keeping on, taking pictures and sharing them with my friends. And now that I can post here on the forums, I'll put up some for my online friends. Hopefully, you'll enjoy them a little bit.

While there are many, many out there who have money in hand with a desire for The New Big Thing, from what I've read on forums and photo websites, I'm not sure the camera makers are going to be very happy with 2022. Maybe more so than the last few years but I don't see a lot of excitement being generated. Young folks are more into phones and us older photo enthusiasts are...well, dying off. And some of us old guys feel they have what they need and they are content with their present gear. Certainly I don't have any enthusiasm for any new goodies. I'm planning on selling off a bunch of stuff this year. There's so many cameras and lenses around my house that aren't being used I'm embarrassed to admit it.

APS-C was the red-headed stepchild of camera makers until Fuji burst forth with support for the format. I do hope Fuji doesn't bail out--and I doubt that happening. What is encouraging for Fuji shooters are the third party lenses coming along, especially those from China. But I don't see APS-C going away or almost disappearing like M4/3 appears to be doing.

I'm sad to see the old SLR fade away. I really enjoy using my DSLRs and I expect I'll still be shooting with them until I traipse off into that bright light. I'm still plagued with limitations using EVFs despite continuing to plug along. Maybe after I have cataract surgery I won't find myself unable to see through the damn things when shooting in bright light. Maybe not. Either way I enjoy the view of an optical viewfinder, either a direct view or one using mirrors and prisms. It gives depth and dimension to the subject more so than EVF, at least in my eyes.

In any event, in 2022 I hope to just keep on keeping on, taking pictures and sharing them with my friends. And now that I can post here on the forums, I'll put up some for my online friends. Hopefully, you'll enjoy them a little bit.

Trust me, you will be thrilled with your cataract surgery. New eyes, buddy, new eyes. The glare will be gone. You gonna be happy.

Truth be told, there's nothing wrong with APS-C as a photographic tool, even for billboards. The FF/FX fetish is more about either bragging rights or like me, sloppy photographers who need the cropping ability. What irks me about the mirrorless (I own two) is that they touted the compact thing and then delivered slightly smaller cameras with even bigger heavier lenses. What's up with that?

I am happy with my Fujifilm XT-2 for digital. I intend to shoot a fair amount of film in 2022. I hope Fuji and/or Kodak do not start pulling the plug on film! I shoot mainly other brands, but if Kodak and/or Fuji start pulling the plug on film, the entire film supply is probably in big trouble.

I second that.....just how Great cataract surgery can be. After you have it, you realize just how dangerous it was to drive at night.

FF is in stuck on digital medium format sensors from 2015.

Canon already announced no new DSLRs to be made. Their monopoly in RF mount lenses is not encouraging at all.

I'm looking forward to using my existing gear as much as possible, after a couple of years of far less than normal. I can work on my technique in shooting, composition, postprocessing and maybe even get into printing. Gear I have in abundance, and like many here, I'm not chasing the latest and greatest, but enjoying what I have. Apart from the high speed sports work I sometimes do, my gear suits everything else like candid, landscape, product, and whatnot.

As for cameras coming in 2022, there's the Panasonic GH6, which would be a useful upgrade from my G9 for video, but my gear still suits my work right now. Maybe some more vintage lenses, get into Leica R before the prices get even more crazy, maybe some Zeiss Classics in EF mount that I can use with adapters on my S5 and G9.

I am happy with my Fujifilm XT-2 for digital. I intend to shoot a fair amount of film in 2022. I hope Fuji and/or Kodak do not start pulling the plug on film! I shoot mainly other brands, but if Kodak and/or Fuji start pulling teh plug on film, the entire film supply is probably in big trouble.

Similar resolution, or rather, intent. I was shocked at seeing the prices of Kodak film (Portra), doubled the last couple years. I am however a mostly BW film photographer nowadays and Ilford is more reasonably priced in this side of the pond.
2021 was split, and I did some photography but mostly BW darkroom printing until April. Afterwards I was just out, but didn't really photograph much.

Another interesting development are phones with camera modules housing a 1" sensor. A nice step towards high IQ in higher end phones. So far only a Sharp phone (limited to Japan) and a Sony Xperia were released in 2021.
i know computational processing made small sensor multicamera phones excellent st snapshooting, but the adage of "no replacement for displacement" also should apply.
If anything, phone comes with me all the time and even a m43 camera is something else to carry with intention.

I think we will be very lucky to see any new mirrorless cameras being delivered in sufficient quantity in 2022. Supply issues have and will lead to the premature EOL of many good cameras. Sony has already sent messages out of this sort. I mean look at all of the out of stock cameras at B&H. Enjoy what you have and it is a great time for selling digital on the used market. Cellphones were bad for the industry already and now it has another problem. Bad times.

As far as DSLRs, Pentax is continuing to make them and has said they will continue to. Let us see if they can survive doing so. I hope so.

As far as Fuji, as long as they continue to make the X100 and X-Pro series, I am ok. As for GFX, I am more of a R fan and it appears they have went the DSLR shaped PSAM camera route. That is unfortunate.

With regard to Fuji, I think their mantra is “why mess with a good thing?” Plus, they are busy making “large format” cameras more affordable and user friendly. Too bad the lenses end up to be so bulky.

My 2022 goals are to go compact, both with digital and film. Too many big cameras with big lenses - yes they make nice images for me, but the size puts me off at the moment. I am tending to grab one of my little Ricoh GR3 cameras or my Barnack over my Lumix FF or Nikon SLRs when I go out. Heck, I even ordered a Nikon 35AF to play with.
The Point & Shoot resurgence is alive and well with me!

Back