I was going to resurrect my Nikon P7700, only to have it fail big time after a few images. So the Z50 will now be my go-to camera while I reserve the Z5 for using adapted lenses. APS-C is still my preferred format until I can update the computer system and processing software. I would hope that Nikon is considering a new compact APS-C camera, but am not getting excited about the prospects. I wish they'd quit making the 1/2.3 sensor models and update them to APS-C. I was even considering the 1" line they had until it was killed off. If they can squeeze an APS-C sensor into the Z50 frame, then making another version of the P7700 with an EVF and fixed 16-70mm or longer shouldn't be that difficult to do.

I'm not interested in getting anything by Sony, but the Fuji cameras have gotten my attention. Just wish they hadn't removed so many controls from the X-E4. Since the X100V seems to be out of stock I concentrated on building up my Z system, and so don't feel the urge to change or mix systems. I still have plenty of film cameras to keep me busy also. So whatever happens to Fuji I hope it doesn't bleed over into whatever Nikon's plans are.

PF

Completely agree. It's a shame Leica dropped the X series - they were great cameras to use as well.

X1,2 were most cutest digital cameras ever made!

Looks like LCAG is not interested in making GR like, not too expensive cameras anymore. All hands are on M11 for eleven K.

It's going to be a frustrating year for electronics due to key/basic components being difficult to get. It's one thing to design a new board, another to get the parts necessary to build it. That might be the Achilles heel of the year- basic components such as onboard power supply and other devices being difficult to get.

Agree! It was like DAG had sneaked into my house and cleaned all my viewfinders...

This is not peer-reviewed science but I heard on the radio today that folks with cataract surgery have a 30 - 40% lower incidence of dementia. The brain is getting more good information from its environment. Too late for me but there is hope for you guys. ;o)

Completely agree. It's a shame Leica dropped the X series - they were great cameras to use as well.

The X1 was my first digital that introduced me to high iso. Usable 3200 was mind blowing for me when my other digital was an M8.

Truth be told, there's nothing wrong with APS-C as a photographic tool, even for billboards. The FF/FX fetish is more about either bragging rights or like me, sloppy photographers who need the cropping ability.

Cameras with 24 x 36 mm sensors are important for those who depend on cropping to achieve post acquisition composition offers an advantage. They also offer an advantage in extreme low light and, or extreme high contrast light.

What I don't understand is why people who believe sensor surface area is very important still use 24 x 36 mm sensors when cameras with larger sensors are readily available. A 44 x 33 mm sensor area (1450 mm^2) is significantly larger than 24 X 36 mm (865 mm^2). It's true digital medium format cameras and lenses cost more and are larger. Still sensor area isn't really a priority if you use 24 x 36 mm cameras.

One clear exception is action photography. The 24 x 36 mm camera market offers lenses, AF systems and other features that are an advantage for sports photography. There are probably a few other niches as well.

I’m a happy APS-C owner.

I began using the X-100 in the spring of 2011 because at last I could operate a digital camera in the manner I operated my Zeiss Ikon ZM. A X-Pro 1 replaced the X-100. Next, when I was doing commercial interiors photography, I switched from the Nikon D700 to the XT-1 and then the XT-2. The images were better (some of this was due to the Fujinon XF 10-24/4 lens). I carried one less large equipment bag to gigs, spent less time on-site and cut my post-production time by at least 25%.

Now I own the X-100T and X-Pro 2 with the FUJINON F2 primes. I really haven’t thought about new gear for years.

If I lost all my FUJIFLM gear in a disaster. I would just replace twitch a couple of used X-Pro 2 bodies and new XF primes. Even if an OVF wasn’t my first priority, I must say the FUJINON lenses are reason enough to stay with APS-C.

I'm perfectly happy with what I have, although I might buy some more equipment just because I think it's interesting or adds a different take on the problems of making a camera. Eh, don't need it ... I'll only buy something because I want it. More than anything else, I'm more inclined to selling off equipment I don't use rather than chewing my fingernails waiting to see if the next big thing is coming. ;)

So what's my plan for 2022? Spend more time making photos, rendering, and presenting them, and spend less money buying equipment.

G

Yes, it’s going to be a great 2022. My wife and I are traveling again and we already booked a trip with Road Scholar. We got our two Covid shots plus the booster. It didn’t bother me at all.

I agree, some cameras may bite the dust in 2022. My wife has a new iPhone 12 mini and some pretty good photographs I’ve made with it already.

This will be new for me in 2022:

https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/photo/

So onward we go.

I have been watching this guy: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLY1l_s5rgAkoIDGaoIbmxKF7wwEi20yLo Yup, I NEED a Honda Trail 125. Just try and find one, sold out everywhere. Coast to coast. This old fart is chomping at the bit. It would be great fun. The trip takes four or five weeks. The only problem is the dog. He would not thrive in a kennel and is too crazy to bring along in any form or fashion. Road Scholar is fun, BTW. Have a great trip.

I'll photofraph as usual working on my projects, perhaps a little more B&W, film and hybrid process.

I also plan to print more, make zines and books both hand made and/or via Blurb.

One problem could be the supply chain: a few monts ago I bought an Epson Surecolor P900, which demnstrate to be an excellent printer. In this moment in Europe at least two of the 10 inks for my printer are unavailable.
It seems prblem is related to the shortage of the chips which are present in each cartridge. Home working and home schooling both produced an increase of the demand.
Sometimes we do not realize how dependant we are from other supplier oft based in the Far East.

https://www.cartridgesave.co.uk/news/ink-shortage/

T...What irks me about the mirrorless (I own two) is that they touted the compact thing and then delivered slightly smaller cameras with even bigger heavier lenses. What's up with that?

If your mirrorless cameras have smaller sensor areas than a 24 x 36mm sensor DSLR, the laws of physics are responsible.

What's up with that is: the total amount of light that reaches the sensor surface (exposure) to generate photoelectrons depends on lens aperture as well as sensor area.

Details [1]

Lens aperture affects the signal levels.[2] For a given sensor resolution, light decreases by the square of the lens aperture. Decreasing camera sensor area size by a factor of 2 results in less photoelectrons per pixel by a factor of 4.

In order to reduce camera body size and weight we decide to use a 12 x 24mm sensor. This decreases sensor area by a factor of 2 compared to a 24 x 36mm sensor, larger camera. For the same field of view, f-stop, shutter time and megapixel count the smaller sensor area results in 4 fold reduction in photoelectrons. A 25mm/f2 lens on the smaller camera is required to match the photoelectron output of the 24 x 36mm camera with a 50mm/f4 lens.

When the 24 x 36 mm camera has a f 1.4 lens, the 25mm lens aperture must be 0.7 to generate the same amount of photoelectrons. A 25/0.7 lens will be larger, heavier and more expensive than a 50/1.4 lens.

The size and weight for the FUJIFILM XF 16/1.4 and 16/2.8 lenses are compared below.

16/1.4 - 13 elements 11 groups (includes 2 aspherical and 2 extra low dispersion elements)
External dimensions : Diameter x Length73.4mm x 73.0mm
Weight[SUP]*2[/SUP] (approx.)375g
Filter size67mm

16/2.8 - 10 elements 8 groups (includes 2 aspherical elements
External dimensions : Diameter x Length60.0mm x 45.4mm
Weight155g
Filter size49mm

A Canon 24/2.8 EF lens is smaller and lighter than the FUJIFILM XF 16/1.4.

Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 - 11 elements in 9 groups
External dimensions : Diameter x Length68.4mm x 55.7mm
Weight280 g
Filter Size58 mm

Differences in Canon and FUJIFILM optical, mechanical and AF designs are significant. Still, the higher surface area required for a f 1.4 aperture means more glass mass. More surface area can require more expensive glass and, or more elements to minimize optical aberrations.

1. See the article for more information and examples.

2. The information needed to demosaick and produce a rendered image is contained in the signal. In this case the signal is a 2D spatial distribution of electrical charges created by photoelectrons when the shutter was open. These electrical charges become DC voltages. The voltage level for each phototsite in the 2D array is digitized and stored as integers in the in-camera raw file. More signal means more information and more information increase technical image quality.

Back