A camera that was used in the Manhattan Project (Atomic Bomb Drop on Nagasaki)

raid

Dad Photographer
Local time
9:57 PM
Some of you may know that I have an old 8x10 [or is it a 10x10 camera?] camera with a huge 362mm 1.66 lens. I have been researching its history for about 15 years by now. I can see from the brass plate on it that it was used at the Philadelphia Naval Yard.

The camera comes with three lenses:

1. Kodak Ektar 362mm f1.66
2. Bausch & Lomb 14.5 inch f2.2 (I have two of them)

There are no serial numbers on the lenses, suggesting that these were custom made by Kodak for the "cause".

This system is referred to as "Lenticular":

I have at least one earlier thread on this camera, but I did only find out this morning what it really was used for.

link: http://photo.net/large-format-photography-forum/007l93

With some help from several people online, I finally learned that this was one of the first 3D cameras [TRIVISION] that were invented by Douglas Winnek.

link: http://www.lenstar.org/history/ch3b.htm

Kelly is Winnek's daughter [actually, Kelly is his son]My Dad's diary reflects that your camera was assigned to US Navy Commander Frederick Ashworth who was the lead atomic weaponeer on the Army Air Corp's B-29 bomber, "Bockscar", that dropped the "Fat Man" atomic weapon on Nagasaki on 9 Aug 1945. Take good care of it and enjoy owning a piece of history

I may want to donate this camera to a National museum where people can enjoy seeing the camera. I initially considered donating the camera to the Physics Department at my university, but it looks as if its historical value overshadows its role as an optic display for students to look at.

What do you think about it!

Attachments

• Fat Boy Camera.jpg
    Fat Boy Camera.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Fat Boy Camera 2.jpg
    Fat Boy Camera 2.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Neat! I would have thought that something that rare would already be in a museum. Bockscar and a Fat man mockup are in the Air Force Museum in Dayton. Maybe they would appreciate having a camera that is related to those items.

I agree Raid.. that's some incredible history you've got on your hands there. Donating to a national museum is a good idea.

Cheers
Dave

Very interesting piece of history even if it is connected with one of the biggest mistakes ever. Imagine that call...."kokura is covered in fog, we can see anything." other side of the line replies "ok whats the next city on the list?" not a good day.

Neat! I would have thought that something that rare would already be in a museum. Bockscar and a Fat man mockup are in the Air Force Museum in Dayton. Maybe they would appreciate having a camera that is related to those items.

Al,
Yes, the Bockscar is in Dayton, Ohio.
The Enola Gay is at the Smithsonian's Udvar Hazy Museum (Virginia).

I may contact both museums.

Very interesting piece of history even if it is connected with one of the biggest mistakes ever. Imagine that call...."kokura is covered in fog, we can see anything." other side of the line replies "ok whats the next city on the list?" not a good day.

I know how feelings can be stirred by memories of the atomic bombs and their dropping on Japan. I will not get into this here. I just want to share the news about a camera that I have.

I get your point.

Last edited:
I agree Raid.. that's some incredible history you've got on your hands there. Donating to a national museum is a good idea.

Cheers
Dave

Dave,

It is good that my camera is not Camera X but camera XI. A national museum will preserve the camera better than anyone else so that future generations are reminded of the horrors of war.

I know how feelings can be stirred by memories of the atmoc bombs and their dropping on Japan. I will not get into this here. I just want to share the news about a camera that I have.

I get your point.

Yeah, I didnt need to mention that I guess. My bad. Veeeeery long day.

I do like the idea that you have this camera though, test time ;)

LOL

Let's get all Manhattan Project cameras to me so that I have an outside test!
At the end, my neighborhood will be "glowing with joy" ....

Raid that is an amazing camera. What a beast! Have you used it? If so, What for? Post some pics, man!

RE: The historical value - it seems to me that a museum would want to curate first the photos, and then at least two of the cameras. Do any others survive? Have you contacted the museum at Los Alamos?

Raid that is an amazing camera. What a beast! Have you used it? If so, What for? Post some pics, man!

RE: The historical value - it seems to me that a museum would want to curate first the photos, and then at least two of the cameras. Do any others survive? Have you contacted the museum at Los Alamos?

John,

I have never used the camera.

Such cameras that are used in airplanes often have an external motorized film back. My camera came to me without a back. I asked a camera repairman at first about carfting a back for me, but I was not sure whether the focus would always be on infinity or not. I was thinking of using it for portraits.

Winnek's daughter may know more than anyone else about the survival of the Dad's cameras.

Dear Raid,

A fascinating story! Thanks.

Is it 8x10 or 10x10? I thought I recalled the latter as a standard aerial photography size, but my knowledge of aerial cameras is negligible.

Cheers,

Roger

The National Atomic Museum is located here in Albuquerque, just another possbility. Definitely an interesting piece of history, however good or bad the history was.

I am alive today because of the bombs. My father was in the invasion force headed to Japan when the bombs were dropped. As a 21 year old private, he was stationed in Hiroshima in the 3 week of Aug. 1945.

get out there and do some street photography with that bad boy.

ok, maybe not, but at the very least find some film and test the hell out of the lenses on your lovely family....then post the results.

great story, raid. your idea of donating it to a worthy museum is a fine gesture.

- chris

Back