A camera that was used in the Manhattan Project (Atomic Bomb Drop on Nagasaki)

get out there and do some street photography with that bad boy.

ok, maybe not, but at the very least find some film and test the hell out of the lenses on your lovely family....then post the results.

great story, raid. your idea of donating it to a worthy museum is a fine gesture.

- chris

Just need to mount it on a shopping cart.

Dear Raid,

A fascinating story! Thanks.

Is it 8x10 or 10x10? I thought I recalled the latter as a standard aerial photography size, but my knowledge of aerial cameras is negligible.

Cheers,

Roger

Hello Roger,

There is no film back with the camera, and it could have been a 10x10 camera as much as I can tell. It is squarish in dimensions.

That is incredible...

Hard to believe such bright lenses were needed in such bright light. ;)

Tell ya what, since it's so old... I'll give ya fifty bucks. Whaddya say? :D

I was initially informed by some optics experts that maybe the camera [and very fast lens] were used in physics lab experiments and in X-Ray experiments. The max aperture of 1.66 is unsual for a 10x10 camera. The lens hood is impressive looking.

This thread made me realize RFF did not have a photographic history forum.

That is no longer the case.

Stephen

I am alive today because of the bombs. My father was in the invasion force headed to Japan when the bombs were dropped. As a 21 year old private, he was stationed in Hiroshima in the 3 week of Aug. 1945.

All counterfactual conditionals are true. It is easy to say today that the atomic bombing of Japan was a mistake, and it may have been so, with the advantage of hindsight. Equally, it is easy for you to say, "I am alive today because..."

But we can never know. I think it arrogant to say today that Japan should not have been bombed that way (Edit: I fully realize this is not your assertion). Maybe it's true. Maybe it's false. Which route would you (or I, or anyone else) have chosen, with access only to the information available in 1944?

The late George McDonald Fraser went to the heart of the argument. Let us assume that Allied casualties would have been 20,000 greater if the bomb had not been dropped, but that the Allies would still have won. Would your mother have volunteered your father as one of those 20,000? Would your wife volunteer you? Would you volunteer yourself?

Yes, war is hell. Both my grandfathers were killed at sea, one off Crete and one on the Russian convoys. It's now fairly clear that 'Bomber' Harris made exaggerated claims for the power of the air force in terror-bombing Germany: think of Dresden. But shortening the war by a year, a month, a day, a minute, must have looked like a pretty good idea at the time.

And none of this diminishes Raid's researches (congratulations, Raid) or the importance of this camera.

Cheers (if that's the word)

R.

Last edited:
Very interesting piece of history even if it is connected with one of the biggest mistakes ever. Imagine that call...."kokura is covered in fog, we can see anything." other side of the line replies "ok whats the next city on the list?" not a good day.

It was no mistake. It was an act that relieved billions of people from suffering under the Japanese. The number of Japanese killed by the two bombs was only a small fraction of the number of Chinese killed by them. And even now the Japs still would not like to admit that they were the aggressors in WWII and still keep on denying such acts as the Nanking Massacre.

Yes, a horrible event, but not a mistake.

U.S. firebombing of Tokyo & other cities had already taken a larger toll, albeit over a longer period of time.

As Roger pointed out in his post, war is hell & the idea of shortening the war, not to mention taking revenge, certainly looked like a "pretty good idea @ the time." My mother used to say, "it's a good thing that the Americans got the bomb 1st, because if the Chinese had, we wouldn't have stopped @ 2."

It was no mistake. It was an act that relieved billions of people from suffering under the Japanese. The number of Japanese killed by the two bombs was only a small fraction of the number of Chinese killed by them. And even now the Japs still would not like to admit that they were the aggressors in WWII and still keep on denying such acts as the Nanking Massacre.

Raid,

Sell this camera.

All you have to do is find the best international auction house that deals in rare historical items related to WW-II.

Put the $$$ in a college fund for your lovely daughters.

willie

i, sadly, sense this discussion venturing off course and heading towards a political debate about "war" rather than keeping the focus on the interesting history of this special camera.

- chris

I am not interested in discussing the events of WWII in this forum or anywhere else at RFF. This is about the history of a camera. Wars can be horrible; I know. I am from Iraq.

I spent over 15 years asking knowledgeable individuals about information on this camera. I started with Bob Shell, the former editor of Shutterbug. He took my inquiry to some big shot collectors [Nolan ...], but their extensive data bases did not include a listing of this camera. At one time, an inquiry was sent to the Rochester museum, and also no records were found of the lenses.

I learned a few things about physics [I hope] over the years by reading the material given in some links on the Lenticular system and so so. This camera was bought by the previous owner at some Navy base.

He had the camera for sale for $5000 at a local camera swap meeting, followed by $3000 the next year. I had a table with SLR equipment for sale, and he saw my interest in the camera. In the end, he just came to my table and started to jot down info on lenses and cameras I had for sale. Then he just informed me that "we will trade". I was given no options! What a guy.

Two big man carried the camera to the van and then drove it to my flat. I haved the camera since then.

Using a Geiger counter I made sure that the radiation is minimal.

Anyways, maybe I got lucky here.

My two kids would benefit from having extra cash in their education funds.

Raid,

Sell this camera.

All you have to do is find the best international auction house that deals in rare historical items related to WW-II.

Put the $$$ in a college fund for your lovely daughters.

willie

Willie,

You sound like what my wife told me today.

Fred has asked me for additional photos of the camera.
I have taken new ones here.

Attachments

• fb12.jpg
    fb12.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 0
  • fb11.jpg
    fb11.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 0
  • fb10.JPG
    fb10.JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 0
Three more images follow here

Attachments

• fb1.jpg
    fb1.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 0
  • fB2.jpg
    fB2.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 0
  • FB3.jpg
    FB3.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 0
I have here three images

Attachments

• fb4.jpg
    fb4.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 0
  • fb5.jpg
    fb5.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 0
  • fb6.jpg
    fb6.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 0
I was more active in research 15 years ago than I am now. :D

Dear Raid,

I fear we all were...

My comments on war were intended more as a pair of philosophical points. One was about counterfactual conditionals, even when presented as statements, rather than being a comment on war (knowing your background -- and also being in correspondence with an Afghan, quite apart from my Tibetan friends). The other was the dubious value of hindsight.

For once, I agree with the 'nerd' argument that this is a photo forum, and that dragging in politics is more than a little tangential and unnecessary.

When I find his address, and get his permission, I'll send you (privately) the address of the author of the Lens Collector's Vademecum. You have a copy, I take it?

Cheers,

R.

Back