About Leitz Enlargers

tiberno

Local time
12:51 PM
Hi everyone! New guy in the Forum here.
I've been doing my research on a first enlarger for my new darkroom and heard good things about Leitz enlargers. I'm mainly interested in a 35mm option: Valoy, Focomat I but probably not a V35 because it seems too expensive. What I really wanted to know is what would be the differences in the final print from a Valoy II and a Focomat Ic given that they have an equally good lens. I suppose the difference should be down to the light source quality (correct me if I'm wrong) and I would like to know what are the differences between these models.
Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Bertino

Valoy II: Manual focus. Baseboard measures 15 1/2 by 17 3/4 inches. Use with a thread-mount Leica camera lens, or with 50mm Focotar f/4.5.

Focomat II: An autofocus enlarger. Baseboard is 16 x 21 inches. A 20 x 25 inch baseboard was optional. Autofocus works from magnifications of 2x to 10x the negative size. Bigger prints require manual focus.

Info is from the 1961 Leica Manual by Morgan and Morgan.

Thanks for the info.
So the difference is down to autofocus? If autofocus is not important for me, will I be able to make the same quality prints from a Valoy?
About the baseboard, does a bigger one means one can make bigger enlargements? Being so, what is the maximum size enlargements one can make with both Focomat Ic and Valoy II without projecting to other surfaces than the baseboard?
Sorry for all the questions and, again thanks!

One thing worth bearing in mind with the Valoy enlarger is that they were never designed to accept multigrade filters. You can work round this by either placing the square filter in the enlarger head (underneath the bulb) or, as I did, adapt the swing out arm (with the red filter in) under the lens to take the Ilford under lens filters. However, you should be aware that the standard holder that attaches to the lens in the Ilford under lens filter kit will not work with the focotar, or I believe any other lens, due to the focussing method of the Valoy.

Personally I found neither of the above solutions really satisfactory and would either bite the bullet and get a V35, or for a cheaper option look into the Meopta range of enlargers.

John

Frankly, I would not bother with anything less than a Focomat IIc. The smaller Leitz enlargers were intended for amateurs with high demands on comfort and ease of use but rather modest print sizes - these days, scan and print does that kind of thing just as well, there is not really a point in firing up a wet darkroom for album size prints.

Given that high grade professional enlargers have dropped to scrap metal prices, I'd rather get a professional Durst, Beseler or Homrich capable of seriously big enlargements.

I agree with sevo - Leitz enlargers are nice, but the negative carriers are a little harder to find. Placing a filter below the lens is not the way to go (in my opinion). The best choice is to place the VC filters between the light source and the negative carrier. You can get a Beseler 45 series enlarger, with negative carriers (the are as common as dirt) - for a few hundred bucks. They are very stable, can print up to 20x24 with the right lens, and are easy to maintain. Good luck !

Buy the 2C!!!!!!

Buy the 2C!!!!!!

I have used them all, Omega, Durst, etc,, and the Focomat 2C is by far the best enlarger I have ever used, even better than the Focomat V35!!! I do not like the V35. I used one where I teach darkroom! Too expensive, and I hate the dim light source. The Focomat 2C has a brighter condenser and is easier to position film on. Get it! Mine did not come with a lens. I use the
Nikor 50mm 2.8. best lens in my opinion, even when compared to the Focotar!!! By the way, I use an Omega D5 for larger formats but for 35mm
I only use the 2C. A big thing is the allignment. Perfect in the 2C because there is nothing to adjust! The Omega D etc,,, are a pain for 35mm due to the magnification factor and allignment. To have a Leica enlarger for 3
35mm work and an Omega etc,, for larger formats is the way to go. If you only intend to print 35mm, the Focomat 2 C is the way to go. A no brainer!!!!!

Do not worry about the negative holder!!

Do not worry about the negative holder!!

I use Gepe 645 glass mounts for my most important 35mm negs. The slide mounts protect the negs from scratching and make it easier to archive and retrieve only what is important instead of paging through reams of negatives. Also a big bonus is you can do awesome black line printing with these holders! They do not distort the image at all! I have printed over 40" with my Focomat 2C and these holders with tack sharp results! Buy the thing! Don't let anyone on this forum talk you out of it! Trust me!!!

The Valoy is a great enlarger for 35mm, one of the best in my opinion.It wont make a good print from a bad negative but with good film processing it can produce lovely quality prints.
Dont let anyone tell you different. :)

The valoy, focomat IC, and the V35 will all allow you to create nice prints (assuming that you are using a good lens). The differences between them all comes down to convenience (autofocus on the V35 and IC, built in filter modules on the V35, etc). I own and use a 1c and have owned a V35 in the past - both are top flight machines and will take a beating. Personally I think that built in filter heads (variable contrast or color) are the best thing since sliced bread and I would favor a V35 due to that fact alone (you can get aftermarket heads for the 1c but they are extremely hard to find).

As far as the IIC is concerned - they are really expensive, they are BIG, and your lens options are extremely limited. They might be considered the cat's ass but if you are going to be doing only 35mm and you are on a budget I personally wouldn't even consider one.

The other option would be to get a nice durst/omega/beseler/lpl (all of which will do a good job for you.

The Valoy has a short distance between the lens and column thus limiting the print size.
You have to jury rig it to take the AN glass filter under the condenser.
It takes the short neck european bulbs which are scarce as hens teeth.

To get around the bulb problem, you need a 1C with grey oblong head. The older short black crinkle finsh head will not accomodate the standard long bulb, PH111.

AVOID the original 50 4.5. Make nice prints to 8x10 at most. Optimised for 5x.

The large front element lens is miles better, as is the Focotar 2. I have them all.

I am keeping my last 8 bulbs to go with the Valoy 2 when I sell it. I made an extension arm to move the head further from the column. I jury rigged the AN glass filter.

Otherwise there is no difference in a Valoy and lc.

Another Leitz supporter here. I own a Leitz 1c and an Omega D2V. Many people consider the D2V to be a top of the line professional quality enlarger and it is, but I still prefer to use the Leitz any time I can. The autofocus is very convenient and the fine focus is razor sharp. The negative carrier is wonderful and easy to use. The lack of a filter drawer is a major drawback, but I like my Leitz so much that I went out and stocked up on graded paper from Freestyle.

My experience with Leitz enlargers is limited to the Valoy II but it's a great little enlarger. Leitz made a bronze spacer for the condenser to address the Newton Ring problem so check to see if it's installed on any Valoy you're considering.

I put a granite baseboard on my Valoy, (as well as an Omega E-6) and this additional mass complements the already rock solid performance of it's single column design wonderfully, I just need to remember to cover the stone with a pad while removing the condenser or lens for inspection;)

Leitz made a bronze spacer for the condenser to address the Newton Ring problem so check to see if it's installed on any Valoy you're considering.

The Leitz brass spacer seems to be even more rare than the Leitz AN glass filter (judging by second hand sales). Either one will probably cost you a LOT (the glass filters usually go for over $100 - I imagine that the brass spacer if sold alone would not be that much cheaper).

I once came across an aftermarket AN adapter for the valoy/focomat 1c. It looked like a top plate made to fit over the factory negative carrier. It was made of a very thin sheet of plastic that had a cut-out for the the film window as well as additional cut-outs to fit over those little chrome wedges, the red windows, and the metal pegs. The film was sandwiched between the negative carrier and this AN adapter thereby creating a small amount of space between the condenser and the negative (basically serving the same purpose as the round leitz brass spacer that slipped over the condenser). This type of adapter would be really easy to fabricate yourself out of metal,plastic,cardboard,etc. (definitely an option if you end up getting a focomat without the Leitz AN ring/filter).

One thing to keep in mind with the Ic is that you may need to use an easel with a 1" elevated base to take advantage of the autofocus feature. Leitz made them, and I believe Saunders still does (it's what I use).

Thanks for all the help.
I live in Europe and, at the time, there seems to be little offer on eBay for Leitz enlargers. I've looked at other options like Durst but they don't seems as compelling as the Leitz. By the way, what do you think about the Durst M670?

So... nobody has an opinion about the Durst... Thats ok because I already bought a Focomat Ic. :) I'm waiting for it now.
Thanks for the help here on the thread!

I have used them all, Omega, Durst, etc,, and the Focomat 2C is by far the best enlarger I have ever used, even better than the Focomat V35!!! I do not like the V35. I used one where I teach darkroom! Too expensive, and I hate the dim light source. The Focomat 2C has a brighter condenser and is easier to position film on. Get it! Mine did not come with a lens. I use the
Nikor 50mm 2.8. best lens in my opinion, even when compared to the Focotar!!! By the way, I use an Omega D5 for larger formats but for 35mm
I only use the 2C. A big thing is the allignment. Perfect in the 2C because there is nothing to adjust! The Omega D etc,,, are a pain for 35mm due to the magnification factor and allignment. To have a Leica enlarger for 3
35mm work and an Omega etc,, for larger formats is the way to go. If you only intend to print 35mm, the Focomat 2 C is the way to go. A no brainer!!!!!

The IIc I know is both 135 and 120/220 format enlarger with two lenses. I'm not sure if you describe the same enlarger, because it's not possible to exchange lenses in them (and 50/2.8 would not fit inside focusing helocoid. On the opposite side it's easy to swap lenses in Focomat Ic.

Yes, I made a mistake in typing , I have the 1C. The 2C would be the best enlarger period for small and medium format, but they are expensive. I use my 1C and an Omega D5 to cover all formats. The 1C I use exclusivly for my 35mm. Nothing I have ever used beats it, including the V35.

Back