Anyone have the new Pixii + ?

I received the Pixii+ in the first batch. I've used it twice, and I'm a rangefinder novice, so i cannot compare it to Leica M cameras, and I'm not the best source for a review. I'm still trying to get better at shallow DOF shots, and the crop sensor probably doesn't help there. The electronic shutter makes shooting with indoor lights challenging, but slowing down the shutter speed helped to eliminate banding. Full frame would be lovely, especially for wide-angle photography, but the 15 mm Laowa is a great lens, even with the cropped sensor. This camera scored better than the Leica M-10 in DXO testing. The camera app sucks, and I wouldn't count on bluetooth connectivity with any regularity. I think the price is worth it compared with the Leicas with the same megapixel count. I bought this to get into using a rangefinder and simplying things, and I think the price makes it more attractive than the Leica offerings. 3k is a lot, but it's not a bad price for a new camera with an excellent sensor and a good processor - compared to a used Leica M240 or M10. You might get used M240 or M262 for around 3.5k, but you can't get an M-10 for under 4200 based on my recent search.

Guys, we are talking about not just a FF sensor but a FF sensor with a global shutter. That is why it'll be expensive. The Pixii is already $3000+... it isn't going to stay that price.
I think the first Pixii had a global shutter, but it has moved onto a regular electronic shutter ever since the camera evolved to 26 megapixels.

Yes, the price is fine and I very much appreciate the fact that the camera has no rear screen, no video capabilities, meaningful size and controls and a clean design.

That said, I do not understand the need to increase the processing power (64bits processor) and the reported low battery life. If all post-processing is outsourced (which makes a lot of sense to me) what else needs to be done in the camera apart from metering and storing to memory? If the DNG files get post processed in a smartphone or in a tablet computer and the camera's battery is only used to shoot, it should last days, I would expect.

I have given up shooting with digital cameras years ago when Ricoh discontinued the GXR system. I was hoping that they (or some other manufacturer) will eventually come up with a well designed RF modular system (the GXR + M-mount was too small and the EVF was not very good either) with manual controls, a small, low-power B&W screen for changing settings and profiles, interchangeable modules for different (FF and crop) sensor/mount combinations and minimal in-camera post processing. Alas, Ricoh, Leica, Fuji and all the others went in exactly the opposite direction!
Yes, the price is fine and I very much appreciate the fact that the camera has no rear screen, no video capabilities, meaningful size and controls and a clean design.

That said, I do not understand the need to increase the processing power (64bits processor) and the reported low battery life. If all post-processing is outsourced (which makes a lot of sense to me) what else needs to be done in the camera apart from metering and storing to memory? If the DNG files get post processed in a smartphone or in a tablet computer and the camera's battery is only used to shoot, it should last days, I would expect.

I have given up shooting with digital cameras years ago when Ricoh discontinued the GXR system. I was hoping that they (or some other manufacturer) will eventually come up with a well designed RF modular system (the GXR + M-mount was too small and the EVF was not very good either) with manual controls, a small, low-power B&W screen for changing settings and profiles, interchangeable modules for different (FF and crop) sensor/mount combinations and minimal in-camera post processing. Alas, Ricoh, Leica, Fuji and all the others went in exactly the opposite direction!
My Pixii+ has terrible battery life. It lasts a couple of hours, unfortunately. I just started using this camera.

I think the first Pixii had a global shutter, but it has moved onto a regular electronic shutter ever since the camera evolved to 26 megapixels.
It did, but it was by no means the level of sensor that would be used at this point (meaning something like the Sony a9 iii). It was outdated immediately in every other way.

For your battery, turn it on and off between shots… instead of letting it sleep.

Last edited:
Concerning using FF lenses on an APSC, I see this as a plus as the center part of the FF lens is what the APSC sensor sees. This eliminates astigmatism and use the lens center where the lens is better,

Regarding the Pixii app. Yes, it is bad to inoperative on Android but works fine on an iPad. I, too, wish it worked on Android as my iPad does not fit in my pocket or take phone calls.

On the plus side, the camera will hand you a very good image, RAW native mono or Bayer and the same in JPG. You have a small universe of available lenses in the Leica mount. Vintage lenses are plenty and many very good. Screw mounts are easily adapted, so easy that I can do it. ;o) So if you want a camera that has good IQ this will work. It has worked well for me for a few years now. And the FB group has a bunch of folks who are equally happy and post some good images.

Regarding the Pixii app. Yes, it is bad to inoperative on Android but works fine on an iPad. I, too, wish it worked on Android as my iPad does not fit in my pocket or take phone calls.

On the plus side, the camera will hand you a very good image, RAW native mono or Bayer and the same in JPG. You have a small universe of available lenses in the Leica mount. Vintage lenses are plenty and many very good. Screw mounts are easily adapted, so easy that I can do it. ;o) So if you want a camera that has good IQ this will work. It has worked well for me for a few years now. And the FB group has a bunch of folks who are equally happy and post some good images.
I’m using an iPhone 13, and it seems like images do not transfer to my phone via Bluetooth for the most part. Or if they do, it takes several minutes, which seems to negate the touted advantage of the connected camera. If you’re going to do away with a screen, one would hope that you would see the images right away. Sometimes, I have to refresh several times before I’ll see a single image.

I’m using an iPhone 13, and it seems like images do not transfer to my phone via Bluetooth for the most part. Or if they do, it takes several minutes, which seems to negate the touted advantage of the connected camera. If you’re going to do away with a screen, one would hope that you would see the images right away. Sometimes, I have to refresh several times before I’ll see a single image.

I cannot speak to iPhone problems with the app. But just now the iPad was so slow that the images were not xferred and I just shut off the iPad.

After having discovered this forum, last weekend I grabbed my old Ricoh GXR + M mount and the 28mm Elmarit just to check if the camera still works and if I can still shoot some pictures. I loaded a profile for manual B&W shooting and went out. Apart from the fact that I had forgotten how to switch on/off focus peaking, all went on very smoothly: the display was off by default, framing, metering, compensation all worked fine ... no need to fiddle around with WiFi, bluetooth, touch screen, iphone, etc. by light snow and temperatures below -6 °C. The VF-2 is not exactly great but it tilts and with mode 2 focus peaking makes the camera rather usable.

I am sure that there must be a way of improving this shooting experience but ... what would a Pixii, a Fuji x-something or a Leica M11 actually bring to the table a decade later? With the Pixii and with the Fuji x-something I would not even be able to frame my pictures by looking into the camera from above which is mandatory for me. With a Leica M I could do so but only after having spent 700$ on a EVF that apparently collects dust in its inside. I guess a Fuji GFX would be a major step up against the old GXR but then I would have to give up the M lenses ...

Perhaps I am too old or too picky but it seems to me that manufacturers are not caring enough about usability. Perhaps Pixii or Fuji will come up with a periscope that can be attached to their screens or with a tilting EVF. Or Leica will come up with a way of disabling the touch screen (whyndoes a Leica M need a screen and, above all, a touch screen?) or with a sealed Visoflex 3 ...

After having discovered this forum, last weekend I grabbed my old Ricoh GXR + M mount and the 28mm Elmarit just to check if the camera still works and if I can still shoot some pictures. I loaded a profile for manual B&W shooting and went out. Apart from the fact that I had forgotten how to switch on/off focus peaking, all went on very smoothly: the display was off by default, framing, metering, compensation all worked fine ... no need to fiddle around with WiFi, bluetooth, touch screen, iphone, etc. by light snow and temperatures below -6 °C. The VF-2 is not exactly great but it tilts and with mode 2 focus peaking makes the camera rather usable.

I am sure that there must be a way of improving this shooting experience but ... what would a Pixii, a Fuji x-something or a Leica M11 actually bring to the table a decade later? With the Pixii and with the Fuji x-something I would not even be able to frame my pictures by looking into the camera from above which is mandatory for me. With a Leica M I could do so but only after having spent 700$ on a EVF that apparently collects dust in its inside. I guess a Fuji GFX would be a major step up against the old GXR but then I would have to give up the M lenses ...

Perhaps I am too old or too picky but it seems to me that manufacturers are not caring enough about usability. Perhaps Pixii or Fuji will come up with a periscope that can be attached to their screens or with a tilting EVF. Or Leica will come up with a way of disabling the touch screen (whyndoes a Leica M need a screen and, above all, a touch screen?) or with a sealed Visoflex 3 ...

Interesting

If we’re including EVFs, there are a few options out there, like the Panasonic GX8. In the world of flippy screens, I’ve found a cheap loupe may get you a kinda-close-ish experience. Works with the Hassy 907X 50C (since we’re talking M11 prices), though would probably need to jump over to Sony, Nikon, etc. to better adapt those m lenses and then you’re unfortunately back to other usability issues. Wish someone made a great chimney viewer that could easily slide on to rear flippy screens. Wasn’t there a third party L viewer aimed at stationary Leica rear screens (or maybe it was the SL’s EVF) at one point?

Apologies for the digression. This is far off the screenless Pixii topic.

Last edited:
If we’re including EVFs, there are a few options out there, like the Panasonic GX8. In the world of flippy screens, I’ve found a cheap loupe may get you a kinda-close-ish experience. Works with the Hassy 907X 50C (since we’re talking M11 prices), though would probably need to jump over to Sony, Nikon, etc. to better adapt those m lenses and then you’re unfortunately back to other usability issues. Wish someone made a great chimney viewer that could easily slide on to rear flippy screens. Wasn’t there a third party L viewer aimed at stationary Leica rear screens (or maybe it was the SL’s EVF) at one point?

Apologies for the digression. This is far off the screenless Pixii topic.
Thanks, I am not really in the market for new gear, but one thing that I find interesting about Pixii is upgradability. It seems to me that they are doing something different from other manufacturers and that they have fulfilled their initial promise. If they manage to stay afloat, they could take one step further and start explaining their roadmap. No manufacturer seems to do this: explain where they want to go. If Pixii would do so, they could attract people that share their vision and make it easier for them to commit and support Pixii even if their current products aren't there yet. In a market dominated by noise, lack of understandability and only marginal innovation, a transparent roadmap paired with upgradability would be a distinguished feature. It could even become a vantage point: instead of hoping that Fuji or Leica or some other company come up with something one is interested in, one would buy Pixii and suppurt making that something become true. If one knows that that something is also something that Pixii wants to achieve, of course.

Using FF Leica M mount lenses on aspc is not ideal... Pixii as far as I know was the first aspc global shutter shutter camera. It has my respect. But to change my system back to aspc I can't do for obvious advantages with FF.(except if it was extremely pocketable aspc).It's a shame Pixii went back to a standard CMOS aspc instead of venturing further to global shutter, which is why I suggested, and a few agreed going to a full frame global shutter, will create a niche for itself at least in the current market. An A9III Sony sensor minus the video features in basically a box with a rangefinder. Is really that hard to do sub 5k?

Using FF Leica M mount lenses on aspc is not ideal... Pixii as far as I know was the first aspc global shutter shutter camera. It has my respect. But to change my system back to aspc I can't do for obvious advantages with FF.(except if it was extremely pocketable aspc).It's a shame Pixii went back to a standard CMOS aspc instead of venturing further to global shutter, which is why I suggested, and a few agreed going to a full frame global shutter, will create a niche for itself at least in the current market. An A9III Sony sensor minus the video features in basically a box with a rangefinder. Is really that hard to do sub 5k?

If wishes were horses the beggars would ride. Large sensor global shutter is virtually impossible. Only Sony has achieved this as far as I know. So while thinking and wishing a FF sensor with global shutter into a Pixii is easy, doing it is not. I do not think Sony will be selling that technology until it has sold a lot in cameras with Sony written across the front of them. They pulled off an engineering coup here. It is not yet perfected.

I am not sure what "Using FF Leica M mount lenses on aspc is not ideal." means. Could you expand on that and possibly under what circumstances it would be ideal? Thanks

If wishes were horses the beggars would ride. Large sensor global shutter is virtually impossible. Only Sony has achieved this as far as I know. So while thinking and wishing a FF sensor with global shutter into a Pixii is easy, doing it is not. I do not think Sony will be selling that technology until it has sold a lot in cameras with Sony written across the front of them. They pulled off an engineering coup here. It is not yet perfected.

I am not sure what "Using FF Leica M mount lenses on aspc is not ideal." means. Could you expand on that and possibly under what circumstances it would be ideal? Thanks
To be fair, Sony could probably sell the sensor to Pixii without having any impact at all on its own sales. It’s not like selling it to Panasonic or Nikon.

Getting rid of the back screen is a first step in the right direction, I think. I am not very interested in previewing my work and I do not want to fiddle around with my smartphone when shooting. But others might and as soon as the Pixii does not need a connection to a smartphone, I am fine with that. To me the most important feature in a camera is the shooting experience. For this, viewfinder, metering and controls are essential. I am taking pictures for fun. I am fine working in aperture priority, I am not particularly obsessed with resolution and do not care about video. I expect a modern digital camera to deliver reliable metering and AE and a shooting experience at least as satisfying as that of working with an old Yashica Mat or with a Leica R. I have never worked with a rangefinder camera so far. I guess I would be disappointed as I am a left eye shooter and my sight is not any longer good. Perhaps I'll rent an M10 or a xpro-3 for a day or two or give the Pixii a try at some point. I understand they have a generous return policy and love France.

Back