camera for girlfriend

Did a little research into this and landed on a Canon G9x for my wife. She didn't want to use her phone and prefers a dedicated camera. The temptation to get sucked into your phone when on vacation is just too much. No need to see your email when you just want to take a photo.

The G9x looks pretty tiny and has the same sensor as all the other 1 inch sensors. Haven't gotten around to purchasing yet.

Not a camera review site but I found this helpful:

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-point-and-shoot-under-500/

Take her to a good camera store and let her choose.

Yup. And let her get hands on your stuff. Alone, and for long enough. "Too complicated" might just mean "not enough time to get familiar with it" - a A7 is no wet plate view camera but a consumer device, and in terms of simplicity in its basic settings pretty close to the compacts that have been proposed...

Maybe something that's not completely serious?

- Olympus E-PL7 - the flip-down selfie screen is very cool, everyone I know loves it.

- maybe one of those splashproof Ricoh's? WG5, WG30.

- and as others have said, Instax

Both of my suggestions are a little out of your budget, but closer if you get used.

1) Latest version of Sony RX100. I got my wife the first version, and it is still going strong after almost 4 years. I'm not familiar with the specs on the new one but I only mentioned it for the wifi function, since that's the only new feature my wife said she would be interested in.

2) If she doesn't need a zoom point & shoot, I'd get her Fuji X70 or X100T for ease of use. No need to mess with RAW files since Fuji has exellent JPEG outputs. Also with wifi capabilities.

Back