domke 803 - i don't think i like it

tedwhite said:
Hey, Joe:

I just took a look at the 5xb ($59 at BH) and it looks quite cool in khaki. Probably hold a Bessa R and a couple of lenses easily?

Ted
I have sand, and I like it. I think I'd like khaki as well, but it didn't look as good on the monitor when I was shopping.

I got mine through Helix in Chicago ... better price, esp. as I'm in NY and would have had to pay state sales tax through B&H. Even without that, I think Helix was a better deal. I also bought the F6 at the same time, and Helix' price was better than anyone else ... way better than several vendors.

i like this domke 803 in theory.
it is a great size, fits well while walking around and carrying it, has a great handle.

but i'm not getting used to it for actual use. hard to get stuff in and out of.
easily carries one body, 3 lenses and film + more but the insert seems too big for the bag.
i have traded one of my one compartment inserts for a 2 compartment insert but i doubt that's gonna help.

i'm off from work this week and hope/plan to be out alot and shooting.
i'll give it the week...

joe

Last edited:
I figured out what the problem is Joe: your Zeiss lenses are too big. I can easily fit 3 camera bodies each with a compact lens attached into my 803 bag, one in each compartment, with 3 more lenses each in a wrap, also one in each compartment. Your Z25 is much longer than my CV25, your Z35 is much bigger than my CV352.5 or Summaron, and your Z50 is way bigger than most of the 50's I've got, including the compact CV50f2.5 and my various collapsible Leica 50's.

The CV lenses all have (small) hoods on. Not so with the other lenses. I guess I'm just lucky to have small lenses, while your big lenses are your burden to bear, Joe. :)

a burden i must bear...;)

btw, i could fit 3 bodies with lenses attached in the 803 as well.
it's that square and narrow insert that is too tight and makes for difficult in & out of gear.
plus the one side of the bag has a bit of a lip that interfers also.

geez, i'm talking myself out of this bag here.

joe

Joe-
One thing that helps me is to remove some of the padding from the inserts. The satchels have padded sides, so by pulling some of the foam from the inserts you can gain a little room, while still being compartmentalized.

I do agree that the inserts are not sized the best for RF's- they seem to be designed around SLR equipment- and indeed the compartments were perfect for my F4's and chunky SLR zooms. When I was shooting stock these bags- the F2 and F1x (I think- the 'little bit bigger' bag) were without equal. For my current needs the F2 is my usual bag- I've been carrying 2 M's and a Contax G2/21 set-up, The M's with a 50 and 35 attached, and a 90 in the bottom of one insert. Exposed film goes into the bottom of the middle insert, fresh is in the end pockets. I carry the Satchel on teaching days- (too much else to carry) with just the 2 M's as above, and yes the fit is tight. I'll agree that access is harder with the satchels, but I tend to carry the cameras out of the bag while working- one on neck and one on shoulder- keeping the bag for film & the extra lens or the G. So I usually 'unpack' the bag at the car or at the office and then head out. I very much like that the bag is so compact when I'm carrying it and not shooting- at the market etc, and still can carry most of what I want to have with me.

I also have several pieces of foam cut to fit in the inserts- to go between lenses or between a body over a lens. This gives me some peace of mind when carrying lenses out of the cases.

Hope you settle into the bag as I have.

-Bob

i love the 5xb bags and i use the large 802 satchel as an everyday bag for work and have been keeping one zi with 35/2 in there along with the panasonic fz20 plus my other regular stuff.
this 803 seems like a pair of jeans that shrunk just enough to make life uncomfortable.

I hate to say this, but the Domke clone (Safrotto CF700) has a full bag-size insert with three compartments made from two walls that are too wide for the width of the bag. The Velcro fastener on the outside wall is a bit wide too. The compartments have incredible flexibility in size. I generally use just one divider, and the bag will comfortably take 2 M bodies, one with a 50 + hood and the other with an APO 90mm ASPH + hood (a big lens). The attached pic shows the Safrotto insert stuffed into a Domke bag so you can see what I mean. In the pic are two Ms and a 35 ASPH + 90 ASPH. You can see the position of the second (unused) Velcro fastener on the outside wall.

Attachments

• just_for_joe.jpg
    just_for_joe.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 0
bob,
just took another look, my 803 has no padding at all.
the insert has thin padding. i added some closed cell foam to the bottom to get better access to the camera, not so deep into the bag.

peter, pardon me but, i'm not sure from your description if you like the insert or not. (it's early yet)

joe

Regrettably Jim Domke has no longer associated with the bags that bear his name... :(

yah Joe too early in the morning. I should be out in this beautiful weather but I am sick (close to flu). Anyway I do like the insert and I also prefer the Safrotto bag to the Domke version. My major beef with the Domke is that stiff plastic part under the handle - makes the bag very uncomfortable to wear. The SF bag doesn't have it.

I have one of these, a black one. It has been a favourite ever since I bought it on *bay, and teased those ugly labels off.

It has tons of space. I took out one divider, so I have two main sections, and I carry the FE in one half, and the Autocord in the other. I put the M6 (in a Domke wrap) in one front pocket, and the Ricoh Gr1s in the other. All the little bits and pieces - film, the VCII - fit into the zippered pockets. Extra lenses I can tuck everywhichwhere.

I festoon mine with the photoblogger buttons that Lala makes. (Gifts. These make great gifts)
It is not only functional; it is also testimony to my total hipness. :rolleyes:
AHEM.

galavanter said:
I just ordered one last night from here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSAA:US:11&Item=220090923788

I think I came across your recommendation in another forum...

Back