Eggleston Sale tonight

That's what I meant earlier about "banal inkjet" -- once you set up the profile and the digital image, you can just crank up the printing press, no limits and IMHO no art or craft involved anymore. Honestly, what's the difference to a plain poster that you purchase at the mall???

Kind of like Picasso resorting to unlimited edition, offset lithos for his graphical work towards the end of his career -- great for his pocket book, not so great for people that purchased "real" lithos of his earlier...

Hope this guy wins against the Trust...

Photographs have always been infinitely reproducible. You can make as many prints as you want from the original matrix, whether it's a negative, slide, or digital file. That's why the artificial editioning. To drive pricing. Presumably these new prints are "editioned" as well. That's the difference between these and a poster. That, and they look better.

Let's face it. There is no craft in photography in the traditional sense. That is, being done by hand. Unless you count waving your hands under the enlarger to dodge/burn the print.

Gary

Photographs have always been infinitely reproducible. You can make as many prints as you want from the original matrix, whether it's a negative, slide, or digital file. That's why the artificial editioning. To drive pricing. Presumably these new prints are "editioned" as well. That's the difference between these and a poster. That, and they look better.

Let's face it. There is no craft in photography in the traditional sense. That is, being done by hand. Unless you count waving your hands under the enlarger to dodge/burn the print.

Gary

Careful there Gary. The photography IS art gang will have your hide.

Careful there Gary. The photography IS art gang will have your hide.

I never meant that it couldn't be art, just that it's a little bit silly when we talk about doing it by hand. And I think it's reasonable to talk about craft as well. Just not in the first sense of the word.

Back