Fellowships, Grants & Residencies

Damaso

Photojournalist
Local time
9:59 PM
Since I've been lucky enough to receive many grants and fellowships in the past i thought I'd start a thread where we can share upcoming opportunities as well as advice on how to successfully apply. Feel free to share your thoughts and advice!

I want to start off with something for the Americans here: The Fulbright Fellowship. It's not just for professors and they don't all last a year. Many are for artists and some are as short as a month. If you have a desire to travel internationally this is a great way to do it. I'm an Alum of this Fulbright Fellowship: http://catalog.cies.org/viewAward.aspx?n=3151

I strongly urge you to apply!

A tip for all fellowships and grants including this one: find out who has gotten it in the past. You can usually find a list of prior awardees and their contact info. They can give you great insight into what to avoid in your application and what they are looking for. Each year I'm usually contacted by two or three people regarding the Fulbright....

For those of you up to 39 years of age who want to improve your skills..

Roberto Villagraz Scholarship March 25th deadline

Applicants
Participation is open to anybody between 18 and 39 years of age (on the final submittal date), regardless of their nationality and academic history.
Winners must attend the course in any of its two next editions, starting in September 2012 or January 2013. The duration of the course is one year.

For more details:
http://www.efti.es/becas/roberto-villagraz-scholarship

EFTI School of Photography and Image Centre announces its 10th Roberto Villagraz scholarship of Photography, aiming to award three photographers with a scholarship that will enable them to develop their professional career through the study of EFTI International Master of Photography at the school free of charge (The cost of the course for this edition [2012-13] is 8.690 €)
Each of the awarded students will receive a monetary prize of 1,200€ as well.

Under no circumstances will the prize be changed for cash.
There is no application fee.
No prize will remain unawarded.

http://www.efti.es/becas/roberto-villagraz-scholarship

Boston Center for the Arts Residency Program—The Boston Center for the Arts (BCA) is accepting applications for the Artist Residency Program. The program aims to provide an environment where artists can experiment with their craft, develop their focus or test new ideas and simultaneously engage in public dialogue in a way that is considerate to the artist’s time and process. This fifteen-week, process-oriented residency is awarded to two individual artists per year (no groups or collaborative pairs). Through a series of community programs jointly developed by the artist and the BCA, it allows artists to connect to the public and explore themes that inform their residency project.
International artists are invited to apply; however, all artists are responsible for their own visa, travel, living and housing expenses. With the BCA’s commitment to local artists, at least one resident will be an individual based in Massachusetts.
This year jurors include: Jenelle Porter, senior curator at the Institute of Contemporary Art, Boston; Andrew Witkin; Barbara Krakow Gallery; and Catherine D'Ignazio, director, the Institute for Infinitely Small Things.
Support | Artists receive a $2,250 honorarium, 239 square foot studio work place, Intern assistance (artist must provide their own housing)
Deadline: April 20, 2012
www.bcaonline.org Program Manager: Cynthia Woo, [email protected], 617.426.1119

The National Parks Service in the US offers many residencies, this is one:

The Artist-In-Residence Program at Petrified Forest National Park offers professional visual, performing, and literary artists the opportunity to pursue their artistic discipline while being surrounded by the park’s inspiring landscape. Selected artists stay in park housing for two-week periods from April through October. No stipend is provided. Artists must be prepared to work in high desert, summer weather conditions that include high winds, low relative humidity and temperatures reaching 100 degrees Fahrenheit during the day and lows reaching roughly 40 degrees at night.
The finished artwork will characterize Petrified Forest National Park for present and future generations and will offer the public an opportunity to see our heritage through the eyes and ears of the contributing artists, thereby fulfilling one of the program’s main purposes.
For more details - Petrified Forest National Park A.I.R.
Contact InformationContact Name:
Chief of Resource Management

Contact Phone Number:
(928) 524-6228 ext. 267

URL:
http://www.nps.gov/pefo/parknews/artist-in-residence.htm

For those on the Gulf Coast in the US

"The Michael P. Smith Fund For Documentary Photography (MPS Fund) was created by the New Orleans Photo Alliance to honor the life and work of Michael P. Smith, one of New Orleans’ most legendary and beloved documentary photographers. The MPS Fund awards one $5000 grant annually to a Gulf Coast photographer whose work combines artistic excellence and a sustained commitment to a long-term cultural documentary project.

Both emerging and established photographers residing in the Gulf Coast states of Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Florida are eligible to apply. The subject matter for the proposed project is not limited to the Gulf Coast region.

Submissions for the Michael P. Smith Fund for Documentary Photography 2012 grant will be accepted from February 1, 2012 to March 30, 2012."

http://neworleansphotoalliance.org/grants/MPS_Fund/index.php

excellent! I am in the process of looking for grants to do some more photography. Thank you so much for these links.

What a great opportunity these could provide for those that qualify. Heck I'd even go for the smaller grants/workshops if I were able to in a heartbeat.

Best of luck to anyone here going for them.

Deadline: April 20, 2012
www.bcaonline.org
Program Manager: Cynthia Woo, [email protected], 617.426.1119
The Boston Center for the Arts (BCA) is accepting applications for the Artist Residency Program. The program aims to provide an environment where artists can experiment with their craft, develop their focus or test new ideas and simultaneously engage in public dialogue in a way that is considerate to the artist’s time and process.
This fifteen-week, process-oriented residency is awarded to two individual artists per year (no groups or collaborative pairs). Through a series of community programs jointly developed by the artist and the BCA, it allows artists to connect to the public and explore themes that inform their residency project.
International artists are invited to apply; however, all artists are responsible for their own visa, travel, living and housing expenses. With the BCA’s commitment to local artists, at least one resident will be an individual based in Massachusetts. Support | Artists receive a $2,250 honorarium, 239 square foot studio work place, Intern assistance (artist must provide their own housing) For more info, go to: http://www.bcaonline.org

Back