How do you like your bodies?

It might make difference if you are trying to be discreet (e.g., street photography)

Not really.
I don't believe that the finish or color of a camera makes one more or less discreet at all. It's how one carries themselves. The black paint or black chrome may give the user the placebo of a cloak of discretion but that's all it does. If it helps a person to take photos by believing their not-chrome camera is a cloak of invisibility, that's great, but it's all in their head, in reality.

Phil Forrest

My 1934 Leica III is all black and I love it - I don’t know if it’s painted, black chrome, or what. It is original though.

Likewise with my plain prism Nikon F, my FM3a, and Pentax 6x7 - they look great in black.

Also my Canon F-1N and EF (“black beauty” - a well-deserved nickname).

Pentax Spotmatics look wonderful in black.

Not really.
I don't believe that the finish or color of a camera makes one more or less discreet at all. It's how one carries themselves. The black paint or black chrome may give the user the placebo of a cloak of discretion but that's all it does. If it helps a person to take photos by believing their not-chrome camera is a cloak of invisibility, that's great, but it's all in their head, in reality.

Phil Forrest

I agree completely Phil.

As far as camera color... I like a variety. Right now, all of my cameras are black. I'll probably buy a chrome one next because I'll be bored with black. Who knows... it's the last thing I think about before buying. I would never spend a lot of $ extra for a color.

I use a Sony a7C in black which is ok (Sonys just aren't sexy)... but the grey one looks really bad IMO.

Black paint or black chrome because I like to see wear on the finish as I am using the camera.

I seem to like an M2, M3, and M4 to be chrome. I prefer black chrome for the M4P M5, M6, M7; and black paint for the MP. And of course I prefer black paint for my M9, because that's what it came in!

In descending order of priority:
1. Nikon F2 titanium
2. Leica MP LHSA Hammertone
3. Leica M6 titanium
4. Fuji X-Pro2 graphite
5. Contax G1 titanium
6. Black for clandestine shooting
7. Chrome for better wear and tear

Not really.
I don't believe that the finish or color of a camera makes one more or less discreet at all. It's how one carries themselves. ...

I agree completely Phil.

As far as camera color... I like a variety. Right now, all of my cameras are black. I'll probably buy a chrome one next because I'll be bored with black. Who knows... it's the last thing I think about before buying. I would never spend a lot of $ extra for a color.

Yes.

The minor advantage of a black, dull finish camera I find in copy work with reflective subjects ... less possibility to catch highlights from the camera body in reflections off the Polaroid prints I often copy. It's only rarely an issue at that.

I tend to like the looks of different black finishes, but it's mostly irrelevant ... I'm more interested in how the camera feels in my hands than in how it looks. The prettiest cameras I recall seeing were a pair of Alpa 10d bodies I saw once upon a time ... one in a deep, satin gold metal with dark burgundy leather coverings, and the other in a pewter-silver metal with dark green leather coverings. Another set of cameras I remember as being appealing was a pair of Hasselblads- 500CM and SWC with A12 backs that were black paint finish on the metal parts and a deep, bright yellow on the leather.

The simple, slightly stippled black magnesium bodies of my Olympus E-1 and E-M1, and the faded black chrome body of my Leica M4-2, and the black body of my Leica CL and Hasselblad 907x/CFVII 50c all appeal to me. I tend to buy black bodies more than silver or chrome when the option is available.

Mostly, however, I don't care much. I spend more time looking through a camera than looking at it. :D

G

1. Black chrome well used and worn - unassuming, sophisticated and purposeful.
2. Silver chrome - chic and timeless.
3. Magnesium body (like in modern high end bodies) - bombproof, no nonsense.
4. Black paint - nice to ogle but always seems to jewelry-like to me.

I like 'em how the manufacturer's made them. I never wanted to refinish a camera but I do have a preference for the Chrome 'Blads over the black finish.

I like black paint, but not too shiny. Matt chrome is indestructible, but there is something unpleasant about it. A chrome-plated camera is also very striking. For some reason, a brass camera that has been painted black, but whose paint has worn off, is very pleasant to look at and use.

Erik.

I like black paint, but not too shiny. Matt chrome is indestructible, but there is something unpleasant about it. A chrome-plated camera is also very striking. For some reason, a brass camera that has been painted black, but whose paint has worn off, is very pleasant to look at and use.

Erik.

Probably my favorite worn-patina look.

First I would like my body to have less fat.

For some reason I am attracted to black camera bodies but when I acquire one, especially in if very good cosmetic condition (Fm3a, M5)) I am less eager to take it out for a spin, perhaps thinking that it will lose value by the most incidental of scrapes. This may not apply as much to worn (patina) painted Leicas.

Magnesium body cams like the F100 are great. But unfortunately, the rubber is horrible as it is with some CV cameras. (Bessa R which is also plastic). I understand Olympus higher end cameras are magnesium. Maybe some day I will get one.

Orange and black Nikonos V a pleasure.

Much as I like the look of black cameras, when I have the choice (which is often not the case), I go with chrome. I sometimes spend long periods outdoors, mid-day, under the Southwest desert sun. I've felt my black bodies get very hot to the touch, and my concern is that electronics and film are getting baked; as well, there are possibly some dimensional changes with expansion that could affect lens or film plane accuracy. Of course manufacturers take extreme environmental conditions into account with their designs, and I'm probably being a bit obsessive, but why take the risk? It's one of those rare instances when I choose practicality over aesthetics.

For many decades I had the hots for the Leica R3 Safari kit. However the few I found, even in mint condition, were not functioning.

A few years ago, my camera-repair friend gave me this Minolta as a gift, which he powder-coated in olive green.

I no longer lust for Leica Safari kits

Attachments

• E058BB87-B5F0-4C3A-90DF-FE3ABCCD41EB.jpg
    E058BB87-B5F0-4C3A-90DF-FE3ABCCD41EB.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 0
  • C8EE6A34-3B6A-443E-82FE-6D6A0C7831AB.jpg
    C8EE6A34-3B6A-443E-82FE-6D6A0C7831AB.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 0
At my age I like my body to be fit enough...:D

Jokes aside I like my cameras to be black. But it is not a 100% imperative. In fact I also like to use my Nikon FM2T which is not black !

And maybe a small camera with a fancy look would sometimes hit my imagination...who knows...

How do you like your bodies?
Try to do a poll.
1. Black chrome
2. Black Paint
3. Chrome
4. Black Polycarbonate
5. Other
If given a choice I prefer silver chrome, but ultimately it doesn't matter to me. The finish has no affect whatsoever on image results.

It has been argued, however, that black cameras are more "stealthy" compared to silver chrome in candid and street situations, but I've never bought off on that notion.

It has been argued, however, that black cameras are more "stealthy" compared to silver chrome in candid and street situations, but I've never bought off on that notion.

Neither have I and I’m glad to see this contrary opinion appearing in this thread.

The first time I’d read about the supposed inconspicuousness of black cameras was in some photo magazine in the 1970’s. I never believed it. But, as stated earlier, it really does matter how a person “carries oneself”.

Back