How often do you use a self-timer?

How often do you use a self-timer?

• What’s a self-timer?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Never!

Votes: 23 30.3%
  • A few times, just to play with it.

Votes: 6 7.9%
  • Only while using a tripod or other special situation.

Votes: 45 59.2%
  • I always use the self-timer!

Votes: 2 2.6%

• Total voters

Pál_K

Cameras. I has it.
Local time
10:04 PM
From the mid-1930’s until perhaps the late 1970’s, the mechanical self-timer on a camera was a common feature, likely a standard and expected feature on the most expensive cameras or cameras for professionals.

If the camera didn’t have a self-timer, there were separate self-timer mechanisms which could be attached to cable releases.

From the 1980’s onward, it seems that both the self-timer mechanism and mirror lock-up features became combined into a single electronic function whereby, in this new mode, once the release is pressed the mirror locks up and a countdown begins until the shutter trips. That is better than nothing, but it eliminates the precise control the photographer has as to when exactly the shutter trips.

I’ve always liked the traditional self-timer mechanism and I tend to use it more than most people, I think. I don’t use it often for “self portraits”, but rather in conjunction with using slow speeds. This is true both for 35mm and medium format.

Some people explicitly don’t like them because self-timers are so infrequently used that they’ve become inoperative and may jam the camera. I’m different: I ensure the self-timers on all my cameras work.

What say you?

Other than testing to see if it works I've only used the timers when having to get myself in the photo. And that rarely happens.

PF

On the Sony a6000 when its mounted on a tripod I use it almost all the time...
Depending on the lens bring used I can't have any movement if I want a sharp image...so I can either use a remote or self timer...

Those of you who employ a self-timer when using a tripod, is that in place of using a cable release?

I like to have a self-timer available, but I rarely use the feature. I think I last used one for group shots at a family reunion thirty years ago!

- Murray

I use self timers when I'm doing close up work, usually with an SLR to avoid camera shake on a tripod rather than use a cable release.

I've taken many a great shots at dusk and even dark with nothing but the self timer, mostly on my Leica's. Set your camera on a fence post, stone wall, even a big rock and use the self timer. Sometimes you need to hold unto the camera to keep it from falling off a natural support but just apply firm pressure downward. No I don't use it all time and no I don't use it with a tripod (who carries a tripod with a 35mm film camera).

Lots of newer cameras don't have a cable release socket...my Nikon F5 doesn't have one either...
I bought an after market battery pack for the a6000 and it came with a remote...same results as the self timer...

I use the self timer on my Leicas and Nikons frequently, be it for silly selfies with my son or family shots on a tripod. It's pretty much the only way for me to be in a frame once in a while...

On modern SLRs and my IIIf, I don't have an issue or any hesitancy in using them. But, I avoid using them on older cameras (SLRs or leaf-shutter type cameras) as I was told it could create problems - (stuck shutter because of lack of lubrication on the self-timer mechanism perhaps)?

I voted for "Only while using a tripod or other special situation" because the other situation for me is when I do not have or cannot find my cable release.

Somewhere I have an Autoknips timer thingy that goes over the shutter release. Has an arm with a red dot on it so you know how much longer you have got left.

Group family portrait sorted!

I use a self timer, either in-camera or via some external tool, whenever appropriate to achieve the photo I'm trying to make—the same as for cable releases, tripods, bean bags, filters, and any other piece of camera equipment. I neither like nor dislike them ... They're simply equipment to be used for a purpose.

It happens that I used the electronic self timer (recently introduced by MiNT Camera) for my Polaroid SX-70 to make a photo of myself with my dear old buddy and a new friend he introduced me to. My PD travel tripod worked brilliantly to provide the support for the camera along with the Polaroid SX-70 tripod mount.`

If you're afraid of a dirty self timer mechanism jamming the shutter on your older camera, it's time to have the shutter cleaned. I've sent lenses and cameras in for nothing more than a rough self timer as that's an indication that the shutter needs to be cleaned and lubricated.

G

Depends on the camera; I won't even attempt it using my leaf-shutter cameras, because I don't want to find out the hard way the mechanism doesn't work. But on my SLRs? No problem. I use the timer most often on my F3 and my N90s (the latter because I don't have a cable for it). But my DSLRs all use a nice handy handheld IR release, so for them I almost never use the timer.

Leica M5 has survived many equipment purges thanks to it having both a lightmeter and a self timer. Use it once every few months when I want to make a portrait of my wife and me. Also, use the feature on my Olympus OM's and Rolleiflex 2.8C.

Not used often but glad to have it when I need it/ want it. Definetly a factor to keep a camera around :)

I've taken many a great shots at dusk and even dark with nothing but the self timer, mostly on my Leica's. Set your camera on a fence post, stone wall, even a big rock and use the self timer. Sometimes you need to hold unto the camera to keep it from falling off a natural support but just apply firm pressure downward. No I don't use it all time and no I don't use it with a tripod (who carries a tripod with a 35mm film camera).

Mostly I carry a Leica tabletop tripod, and often has used it with 35mm and 120 cameras. Carry the larger tripods more often with 120 and 4x5.

I use a self timer once a year - on Christmas Day when I take a group picture of however many family members are at our house for Christmas dinner. Sadly, because of COVID there were just two of us this year.

I voted "never" - but ...

In my ~50 years of shooting I think I've used a self-timer (for its intended purpose, at least) maybe two or three times - maybe. Many years ago, when I was doing copy work for slide presentations, I would occasionally use the self-timer instead of a cable release - but that was rare as the cable release was quicker to use.

I've owned many cameras with and without self timers; the times I didn't have one I never missed it.

But I must confess, in spite of all this, if I had the option I would choose to have a self-timer (even if it cost a little more to get it).

Back