How often do you use a self-timer?

How often do you use a self-timer?

• What’s a self-timer?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Never!

Votes: 23 30.3%
  • A few times, just to play with it.

Votes: 6 7.9%
  • Only while using a tripod or other special situation.

Votes: 45 59.2%
  • I always use the self-timer!

Votes: 2 2.6%

• Total voters
I've taken many a great shots at dusk and even dark with nothing but the self timer, mostly on my Leica's. Set your camera on a fence post, stone wall, even a big rock and use the self timer. Sometimes you need to hold unto the camera to keep it from falling off a natural support but just apply firm pressure downward. No I don't use it all time and no I don't use it with a tripod (who carries a tripod with a 35mm film camera).

When I still took a lot of photos, I used to carry on quite often. There were times when I wanted a shot I could only get with the tripod I carried. It had a column that could be rotated from vertical to 90 degrees as well as up and down. With those movements I could get just about any shot I wanted. But I didn't use it on a constant basis.

When in Korea I also felt comfortable carrying a tripod as a possible weapon to protect myself and my gear from theft. There were people who were thought to be such good at stealing that they could steal a radio and leave the music. :D

Never. I've always preferred a cable release ... usually a long, air-pressure release driven kind of contraption that's pretty lightweight but weird-looking to the casual observer.

T

I have rarely done any shooting on land scapes or low light photography on a self timer but used a Manuel shutter release cable on a slow shutters using a tripod.
So it is not the same thing as the self timer.

A self-timer, used with a mirror lock-up, is theoretically of value to me in doing landscape work. But nearly always, I'm waiting for that brief pause of one or two seconds when foliage isn't moving in the breeze, etc. The only thing that gives the instantaneous response is a cable release; otherwise, by the time the self-timer releases, the breeze will always have started up again. Anyone working in the natural landscape, doing precise work, will learn quickly just how uncooperative Nature can be when asked for a portrait!

I use the self timer as a sort of "hail mary" when I discover some nice night-scape and usually don't have a tripod on me. Set longest shutter speed available, set aperture appropriately. Prop camera on a wall or fence-post or whatever and set the self-timer.

However I do this maybe once or twice a year. Hardly a common occurrence.

... Adding to my previous post...

I've been out with the Light L16 again a few times lately. This camera lacks any remote release input. It is essentially a gang of small sensor cameras fired together that its software then coalesces into a single final image. It makes its best image quality at lower ISO settings. So the self timer (and a tripod or other firm support) is essential to getting the best possible image sharpness with it. For best results, I use ISO 320-400 maximum on manual or ISO priority mode. The self timer provides delays of 0, 3, 5, 10, and 20 seconds, and you can trip the exposure with either the mechanical release or the soft release button for a very light and nearly vibrationless trigger action.

These efforts at low ISO and camera stabilization work particularly well when shooting highly detailed, static subject matter and net results that are truly remarkable given the camera's size and weight. There are no other 50 Mpixel capable cameras with an eqFoV range of 28 to 150 mm that can fit into a jacket pocket and weigh less than 1kg... The Light L16 and a tabletop tripod or Peak Design Travel Tripod (or equivalent) is a traveller's dream. I took this kit on my Caribbean cruise back in 2019 and obtained a huge bunch of very satisfying photos with it, both static subjects and hand-held, faster paced stuff. :)

G

The times I've used a self timer have been when I knew I needed the mirror up function before the shot was taken for picture clarity. I know it's not the same as a self timer, but I use an IR remote a lot when taking pictures of my wife's quilts. Prevents a lot of camera shake from tripping the shutter button and allows me to 'set and forget' the camera for the most part once I have it set up on the tripod. My living room is my make-shift studio for these photo shoots.

Back