Leica on TV or the movies :)

At the risk of incurring the wrath of dedicated Leica users here is a still from 'Das Boot'. My own knowledge isnt enough to know what camera it is. I've heard from a Leica to Contax.
Maybe even an early Nikon RF prototype being field tested (Axis co-operation) - just a joke.

5384388626_24c9f419db.jpg

Steve.

I worked on that film and ended up shooting all the props for the art department. The camera in question is simple a "generic" camera.

Hi all

First post, long time lurker.

Has anyone here seen Coraline, the new (3D, as in with the pola glasses) animation from Henry Selick? There's a scene in it with an M3 - looked like a really detailed model of it too. And the best bit? There's a POV shot through the viewfinder and yep, we have the rounded framelines. Smashing!

Talking of cameras in animations, I loved the TLRs in The Incredibles too...

al'

At the risk of incurring the wrath of dedicated Leica users here is a still from 'Das Boot'. My own knowledge isnt enough to know what camera it is. I've heard from a Leica to Contax.
Maybe even an early Nikon RF prototype being field tested (Axis co-operation) - just a joke.

5384388626_24c9f419db.jpg

Steve.

This is when the captain stops him from taking pictures and says, 'wait for the sailors to return... by then they'd have grown beards and will look older... we don't want people to see kids go to war.'

One of the best war movies ever made. Makes most of Hollywood war movies look cartoonish.

I recently rented the Elvis Presley movie "Loving You", which was released in 1957. Early in the movie, there is a scene where Elvis' manager Glenda Markle (played by Lizabeth Scott) uses some kind of rangefinder. I couldn't tell what kind it was, but it was one where you advance the film by using a knob. Does anyone know what kind of camera it was?

This is when the captain stops him from taking pictures and says, 'wait for the sailors to return... by then they'd have grown beards and will look older... we don't want people to see kids go to war.'

One of the best war movies ever made. Makes most of Hollywood war movies look cartoonish.

Yes GSNFan, I'm a great admirer of that film / TV series. I have the 'movie' version and also the full series (4hrs 42min) on DVD.
I know the scene and when I recently took a photo of my 3 1/2 yr old son with my M6 TTL in a cafe and put it on my FaceBook page you can see the likeness from the screen capture.....and comments.

5385683872_18ee111ef5_b.jpg

Steve.

Yes GSNFan, I'm a great admirer of that film / TV series. I have the 'movie' version and also the full series (4hrs 42min) on DVD.
I know the scene and when I recently took a photo of my 3 1/2 yr old son with my M6 TTL in a cafe and put it on my FaceBook page you can see the likeness from the screen capture.....and comments.

5385683872_18ee111ef5_b.jpg

Steve.

That is such a cool coincident. Your son also knows how to hold a Leica properly, his a natural with the camera.

I need to watch Das Boot once again.

It's a long way to Tipperary,
It's a long way to go

I can't remember if I posted here but the guy from the film "Midnight on the Meat Train" (something of that title) uses a Leica :)

Mogambo with Ava Gardner, Grace Kelly, and Clark Gable has fancy Leica screw gear and a Bolex to boot - seen on Turner Classics recently. Another one not on the list above is an episode of the 60's TV show "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" called "Turn Back the Clock". In this episode there are many scenes of young babe Yvonne Craig (later to become Batwoman) shooting pics of dinosaurs and such in a lost world near the Antarctic using a new looking Leica IIIg.

The old TV show "Secret Agent Man" has many now classic cameras featured, some episodes even discuss cameras of the time (hobbyist/spies). I remember one episode with a complete Leica screw mount copying setup (for copying secret documents of course).

Of course the Minox is standard equipment for every respectable cinematic spy.

For cine fans, the fantastic recently made German movie "Downfall" (about Hitler's last days) has at least one excellent scene with an Arriflex 16 - which would have been a very advanced 16mm camera for 1945, but I suppose in use then, at least in Germany.

Last edited:
The other evening I watched "The Odessa File" (or perhaps "The O.D.E.S.S.A. File"). Sorry if this has been noted already.

Anyway, John Voight used a Leica M in an early scene when he's at the SS reunion party. The film is supposed to take place in 1963 but I could swear that he's using an M6.

Does anyone know more details on this?

Back