Leica to announce a new M-mount M6 film camera in Oct 2022

Yes, I saw this on Leica Rumors. I've been considering an MP lately. They are about $1K less when purchased from Europe and actually available. I think I'll wait and see what October brings. An M7 replacement would be my guess.

John

Whatever new film camera they are introducing, I hope they are also bringing back the 3 different finder magnification options! The 0.58x finder is the bees knees.

I certainly have no inside information, but if Leica can't keep up with demand for film cameras it sells for $5,000, I don't think they have a big incentive to introduce a less expensive film camera. Maybe I'm wrong, it's been 30+ years since I took economics in college.

Unless they are coming out with a new Sofort…

I hope other firms reintroduce film bodies. It seems to me demand is there. I admire Leica for doing so.

Erik is right; it's a different path. The industry should respond.

John

I hope other firms reintroduce film bodies. It seems to me demand is there. I admire Leica for doing so.

Erik is right; it's a different path. The industry should respond.

John

That would be nice but the problem most camera makers face is that they would be competing against their own products in the used market. Leica is kind of immune from this as their products are in the Veblen goods category. But let's say, for example, Pentax decided to make a new run of K1000s. What would they have to sell those for to make a profit? Based on the prices of the most recently discontinued film cameras (Nikon FM3a and FM10, Voigtländer Bessa, Zeiss Ikon), I'd guess that a new K1000 body would have to be priced around $800 to $1,000. You can find nice K1000s (with a lens) for around $150 or less very easily, so it's difficult for me to imagine that many people would pay more than five times that amount for a brand new one.

Sorry for the thread drift. Maybe I'm wrong and Leica will surprise us and introduce a new film M for $3,000—I'm hopeful but not holding my breath.

I certainly have no inside information, but if Leica can't keep up with demand for film cameras it sells for $5,000, I don't think they have a big incentive to introduce a less expensive film camera.

But all used Leica cameras have doubled in prices over the last few years it seems. The M6 and M7 prices have went nuts over the last few years and I am sure Leica noticed this. If they sell used for $3500+, they probably feel they can make something new in the same price category. Perhaps they cannot provide more capacity or price cuts on the bodies they have now due to how they are currently manufactured. Maybe the new model will correct this by having some cheaper components and a different manufacturing process. I have no idea, I am just guessing.

A slight product refresh + $500 price increase sounds about right, but an October product announcement seems like odd timing.

If you think about it, the market for undiluted M-cameras at a lower price point is already well-served.

I didn't buy their story two years ago that they 'can't keep up with demand' , and don't believe it now. Unless the demand was 10/month and their part time assembly team (of 1) couldn't make them that fast. :cool:

When people are lining up to pay $2500-3000 for a used, non-TTL M6, there may be a market. If a film camera is on the way, hopefully is it more like the M7 or something smaller / interesting like a CLE-type product. As long as the MP exists, there is really no reason to make a similarly-capable machine.

When people are lining up to pay $2500-3000 for a used, non-TTL M6, there may be a market. If a film camera is on the way, hopefully is it more like the M7 or something smaller / interesting like a CLE-type product. As long as the MP exists, there is really no reason to make a similarly-capable machine.

Maybe even a redux of one to the compacts of the 90's; built-in winder, simplified RF or even AF, auto exposure. Maybe a fixed 38mm lens. Agree that having something dramatically distinct from the MA/MP won't bite into that product line. Think of the Sofort and consider who they might try appealing to...

Maybe even a redux of one to the compacts of the 90's; built-in winder, simplified RF or even AF, auto exposure. Maybe a fixed 38mm lens. Agree that having something dramatically distinct from the MA/MP won't bite into that product line.

Well, it says new M mount film camera though. That said, your idea would sell really well. Just like Leica M prices have skyrocketed, so have those 90s - early 2000s high end film P&S cameras. I'd certainly be interested. Add a rangefinder to one of those and I'd be dying to spend my $.

Back