Leicavit or Rapidwinder

supershang

Local time
2:23 PM
who could give some comments on rapidwinder from Abrahamsson Canada?
Is it totally handmade?
How is the durability?
How is the after selling service?

Tom is one of the good guys. I wouldn't use my M6 without a Rapidwinder. If you're a left eyed shooter it's a godsend.

I bought an M2 Rapidwinder from TomA over a year ago, and it's been a joy to use. It's tougher than the M2 itself, which in itself is saying alot. The main advantage (over rapid firepower) is not removing my eye from the viewfinder during advancing, so I get more peak moments onto the film.

I've used three Rapidwinders and two Leicavits. Tom's Rapidwinder is probably more heavy duty than the Leicavit (it certainly weighs more) and it is really built like a brick, and Tom provides a lifetime warranty on the product. The only issue I have with it is that I use a tripod with an Arca-Swiss QR system, and Tom's Rapidwinder is infinitessimally too wide for an Arca-Swiss QR plate. So I use a Leicavit which center mounts a Wimberley P-5 plate. If you don't have this admittedly arcane requirement and you value extreme durability I would get the Rapidwinder. I have been very happy with the Leicavit.

I brought a Rapidwinder on eBay and sent it to Tom for servicing (which he offers for free whether or not your are the original owner). Because it would take longer to service than he thought he sent me a replacement Rapidwinder to use!

I can't say enough good things about the man or the service. The actual item is a pleasure to use!

I've been keeping my eyes peeled for a good deal on a rapidwinder in the classifieds.
This thread just confirms all the great things I've heard about Tom and his products.

rapidwinders

rapidwinders

more praise for tom's rapidwinders as per above comments.
don't leave home without it.

I am blushing from all that praise! I have been in the Rapidwinder business since 1987 and the main reason is that my original Leicavit MP's died and no parts or replacements were avaiiable at "user" prices.
Damaso's winder is a very early one and belongs to a batch of black chromed, brass housing winders. They can have issue with fit on some M6's and as it will require a virtual rebuild of every single part - I decided to take my time and send one of my own to him for the time being.
At the moment my workshop is closed - partly due to holidays and partly due to the fact that Vancouver has the "unusual" usual snow coming down and there is no heat in the shop. It will thaw out and then it is back to production.
There are three versions of the Rapidwinder. One is for M4-2/M4P/M6 and MP, the other is for M2's (limited run) and the third one is a screw-mount version.
As for being handmade - the early versions truly were (housing was soldered together - could warp!). The current version is done on a huge computer numerically controlled machine and then I make the drive train and lever assembly by hand and put the whole thing together (and shoot a couple of rolls with it to check it out).
The M6 winder is in continious production, whilst the M2 Rapidwinder is a limited run. I made 300 initially and they sold out and then I decided to make another 100 that would accommodate the Leica re-loadable cassette (the IXMOO) - primarily for my own use and for those of us who still have these. I am getting to the end of this run - about 45 housings/locks/top-plates remain - and I have had to raid my own cameras for supply - so in theory there are 30-32 left for 2009 (the balance are for my own M2's).

I have used both Rapidwinders and Leicavits. The Leicavits are lighter but have at least one serious - to me - drawback: it's too easy to accidentally fold the wind lever back into the housing. The Rapidwinder wind lever stays out until you want it in. That's an issue when working with gloves and a couple of cameras.

Praise for Tom A's rapidwinder from me too. It's built like a tank and works like a charm. A solid piece of machinery that's a joy to use.

I agree with the above comments - I own 3 of Tom's beautiful M6 versions: a BP, BC and a chrome. The latter two I bought used and sent back to Tom for checkout. Tom serviced them and returned free of charge - what a guy :)

I had the same issue with by RRS Arca-Swiss QR plate made for M3 style leicas (the rapidwinder is a bit too wide for it) so when I have the Rapidwinder installed I use a standard RRS plate I was using for my Canon Elan II. It is wider and flat. No big deal.

My local community college instructor had his Rapidwinder stolen along with his complete bag ( in the trunk of car which was stolen) so I bought him one to replace it since his insurance company wouldn't replace it - only his camera's and lenses. He is a true Leica brand only guy and this is his only non-Leica item that he would use on his Leica's - that says alot.

Tom, have you considered making up some reloadable cassettes? They work just fine with standard Kodak/Ilford/Fuji spools and I suspect the most of us who don't use bulk film loaders find it simpler to tape the film on the spool anyway, so supplying them with spools wouldn't be a requirement.

Al, the cost of making up a IXMOO style cassette is prohibitive, unless it was made in huge quantities (10's of thousands). The die's alone would cost in excess of $60 000 each (and you need two - one outer and one inner shell).
There are still IXMOO's out there, though they are getting difficult to find. The center spool is complex and, as you say, can be replaced with common plastic spools and tape.
I also use the Nikon cassette (enough to do 200ft of film) - and it is a less complex design - and easier to load - but also more fragile. The locking spring on the top is prone to getting tired and that makes the cassette virtually unusable.
The trick is to accumulate about 18-19 cassettes and then load 100ft rolls into them and just shoot away. The cost of the IXMOO's, though initially high, will be recouped after a while.
I did spend a fair bit of time collecting my current stash of them. Some traded, some given to me and some bought. At the moment I have enough to load about 1000 ft of film (180) and that will see me through 3 month of shooting.

Tom, I have ten of them, and I always load up a bunch of regular cassettes because my Bessa L and Leica CL require them. I just try to reload them while the last batch of developed film is in the dryer so I don't run out.

I know that they're not cheap to make. Nearly fifty years ago they listed for over six bucks apiece! That would have bought two cartons of cigarettes with enough left over for a tuna salad sandwich and a cup of coffee...LOL

Back