Leicavit or Rapidwinder

Wilson, M4's and M3's can be converted to take the Rapidwinder (or the Leicavit M). DAG (Don Goldberg) can do the conversion. The version you want for that is a M4P/M6 version. The intermediate drive from a M4P/M6 is installed.
I recommend that you send both camera and winder to the "converter" as it can then be matched to the body.
For converting a M3 you will need a slightly different "post" where the plastic roller is located on the M4 base. It is just a bit shorter and has a bit of a taper to it.

Tom,

Many thanks for the info. I will wait to see what happens over the next few months. If my thumb joint seizes totally, it should become pain free and then I will be able to use the lever wind again. I am not wholly happy about sending my very precious M4 (it was my 21st present from my father in 1967) to the USA because of the loss risk and customs issues (good morning, this is UK customs - how can we be of absolutely no help to you at all this morning?). Don is still supposed to be doing me a UV/IR filter in an A36 mount from three years ago.

Wilson

I have two Rapidwinders - a standard one for my M6TTL and an IXMOO version for my M2. They have been unfailingly reliable and beautifully made. I collected one from Tom in Vancouver and also collected some Rapidgrips from him on one of my trips to BC. What a really fantastic guy.

Wilson, M4's and M3's can be converted to take the Rapidwinder (or the Leicavit M). DAG (Don Goldberg) can do the conversion. The version you want for that is a M4P/M6 version. The intermediate drive from a M4P/M6 is installed.
I recommend that you send both camera and winder to the "converter" as it can then be matched to the body.
For converting a M3 you will need a slightly different "post" where the plastic roller is located on the M4 base. It is just a bit shorter and has a bit of a taper to it.

Tom

Need to ask a question.

Is the finish of the brushed chrome M6 rapidwinder similar to the M6 chrome satin-like finish or is it more like the M2/M3/M4 chrome finish?

Rapidwinder. As good as the Leicavit, at a lot lower price. Simpler mechanism than the Leicavit (Rapidwinder uses springs instead of gears), so less chance of jamming up or going wrong at a critical moment and under actual operating conditions

My rapidwinder is the one I bought from Dan (Nokton48) and I love it. It's the M2 version.

One thing, I wish it would take IXMOO's! I'm developing a thing for them but can't load them in the M2:eek:

Tom's Rapidwinder is my favorite Leica accessory. I have three of them for my M6's and one permanently mounted on an M2. For the way I work, it is just such a natural way to use the camera. VERY durable. His design did something that I thought highly unlikely: he improved on an industrial design that had been perfected by its manufacturer over 40 years and made it more useful, comfortable and convenient.

Back