M-E in-camera BW.

To be more precise: why take an expensive digital rangefinder camera and lens and then digitally soup the results so that the resulting pictures mimic an undefined analogue result. Why?

Let's dive in and deep. M-E. BW.

All three are in prints.
One is lith contact darkroom print of digital negative on regular print paper. Another is Silver Efex enhanced file, print, scan of the print. And some of them is Silver Efex file, print.

Why? Because it is just awesome.

All three are in prints.
One is lith contact darkroom print of digital negative on regular print paper. Another is Silver Efex enhanced file, print, scan of the print. And some of them is Silver Efex file, print.

LOVE these Ko. Just Wonderful !

All three are in prints.

Yeah boi now that's wut we're tawkin' about!

All three are in prints.

Super!

robert

+2C after -20C. Temperature for digital. :) Cron 50 III with yellow filter and M-E in BW.

46913470332_0053c66d32_o.jpg

46241017654_8de94f75d5_o.jpg

OK. I'm not sure what is going on. The original post had a set of photos that I found too contrasty. After that, I saw a bunch of photos I liked a bit more from various photographers, inlcluding my friend Kostya.

I noticed a few images -- a set of photos from Kostya that he said were from the ME, but then said they were prints (darkroom?). I like them, but I'm just confused how the process went. Files from ME, then scanned, and a printed negative, then darkroom print?

I actually to that! That's one way I do my cyanotype and plat/palladium prints...

These are nice. Both give me a sense of place and time. I love to drink beer and flip through photograph books. A favorite pastime. I also like to experience the geese flying through my valley in winter...always an emotional experience for me.

+2C after -20C. Temperature for digital. :) Cron 50 III with yellow filter and M-E in BW.

46913470332_0053c66d32_o.jpg

46241017654_8de94f75d5_o.jpg

Thank you, Jeff.
I was taking our daughter to skiing place, stopped for geese and after for beer at local brewery.

This thread has different examples of different bw methods.
As for printing, some are just regular ink bw prints from edited files and one is the contact print from negative (M-E image converted to negative and printed on regular paper).

Fresh example at one of yours paper :) :

Superb BW images from Ko.Fe, and Helen.
I admire those shooting only Film, but I mostly use digital.
I was PJ in 60's~80's, later work more safe and steady..
We only had film, no other way except coating your glass like Sally Mann.
Film keeps doing price jumps.
In many cases a very inferior product compared to past..Tri-X perfect example.
Ko.Fe shows many styles, pinhole, weird looks on some, all very nice and creative.
I recently shot a Leica Mono and was totally left thinking "Is that all?".
I expected unbelievable sharpness, unbelievable tonal scale and immense files..
The "unbelievable' proved true!
My Film pix were sharper, better tonal scale etc..
Yet I love not cutting film, loading cassette, developing and scanning (very slow) on XP PC.
Once a new technology arrives, it's hard to go back!

Thank you for checking.
Minimum PP in first post. Second has much more.
It looks odd on my iPad as well.
But first post pictures are normal and sharp on regular PC screen with good graphics card. Second post picture is pinhole and it is soft.

When you scale down the images to post yes they do become soft.... so you need to sharpen them for screen when you make the images smaller...

When I had an M-E, I mostly shot RAW + B&W JPEG. I found the B&W better for checking focus when chimping, but oddly enough I ended up using a lot of those JPEGS as-is, even though mostly I use the digital for colour and always keep either M6, M4-P or Rollei 35S loaded iwht film for my B&W.

Thank you all for checking this thread, adding pictures and giving nice comments!

Regarding JPEG1, I often like to do it for color as well. No DNG. I like 10 MP sized files. They are most practical ones, IMO.

Testing some software from one person. BW conversion with TRIx noise applied.

48945273211_06b0bccd3c_b.jpg

48950220971_811645202d_o.jpg

Same TriX effect in Silver Effects Pro.

Back