• M5

Votes: 89 41.0%

• Total voters
Which would you buy if:
  • you already have an M2 and M4-P
  • you wanted a metered 'M'
  • you have 35mm, 50mm and 90mm lenses
  • the M5 was approximately £100 cheaper than the M6 Classic
I'd take an M6 any day at the price difference as proposed. But at the [actual] price difference today, the M5 becomes quite compelling!

But I do find it interesting how the value of an M5 has remained pretty much unchanged for many years. I believe this speaks volumes as to how "users" and collectors alike perceive it.

I would choose the M6 because it can take the Rapidwinder. And while I do not look at gear as an investment I am not made of money and if down the road you want to sell it the M6 will be easier to find a buyer.

For me , there are two features of the classical Leica M that are important and I fear the M5 fails to fill the bill about them:
1-form factor
2- the viewfinder at the extreme left of the camera that allows me to shoot without pressing my nose on the camera back.

M5 would be perfect for me due to size - I have M3's and M6's. They're different, but enjoyable.

But I'm not fond of the M5's Meter On A Stick idea -- the white patch on the curtain is clever and a far more reliable way of metering.

I own and use both the M6 & M5 (not as much in the last 100 quarantine days). love both and have occasionally hit the streets with both one loaded with color film

How is the M5's spot meter unreliable?

Honestly, I don't know that it is -- I was about to edit my previous post to ask that very question!

If I had a choice of a stationary meter cell vs one that needs to swing out of the way, I choose the simpler method.

Honestly, I don't know that it is -- I was about to edit my previous post to ask that very question!

If I had a choice of a stationary meter cell vs one that needs to swing out of the way, I choose the simpler method.

Ahh, ok! Never had issues with my M5 and the meter is very accurate. My M7 has the same (similar?) meter pattern as the M6 with the big dot on the shutter curtain. It is heavily center weighted but the M5's tighter pattern is more accurate as long as you know where to point it!

The thing to watch out for with the M5 is not all lenses are compatible with the meter stalk. Leica lists some, but also the 7A 50 1.1 as the rear of the lens is too deep, as well as lenses like the J12 35mm which has a very deep rear lens group.

Proper battery for M5 is not available. It is big and clunky and not Leica like. M6 is cost reduced for a certain component in RF so you sometimes get flare. Easy fix is to turn camera 90 degrees. Hard fix is have a part added.
Service in M5 is harder and if DAG retires, you will be SOL.

The M5 meter is accurate and precisely delineated in the finder. However, being a CdS cell, its sensitivity is not consistent across the color spectrum. A red filter, or an orange one to a lesser degree, will give a reading that can be a stop or more off from the indicated filter factor. Having to calculate compensation in situations such as these partially negates the advantage of TTL metering.
You can regard this as a quirk, of course. If you never shoot B&W with filters, not an issue, but I found it a real annoyance.
You will see some reviews that state that this problem is an indication of an ageing CdS cell, but it's actually inherent in that older metering technology. The industry rapidly abandoned CdS cells as soon as alternatives (such Gallium Arsenide) became available.

I like my M5s for their accurate framelines and semi-spot metering. I think I will take one to Colorado this fall, along with my M4P, and maybe the M7. I'll be shooting both Velvia, Double-X and Plus-X, so it might make sense to bring three bodies.

Edit/Update: I'm in Ouray now. I took an M5, but chose as its companions my M2 and MP. I'm very glad about choosing the M5 and MP, but I wish I had brought my M7 instead of the M2. The rapidly changing light in Colorado makes aperture priority a really good feature!

I had a pair of M5's for a bit of time. Serviced by Sherry. Always thought they are the best metered film M, just a notch above the M7 due to the more accurate frame lines. Hated the diode metering of the M6. Still though, for me, the M2 is tops. Ha, ha, who needs a meter on a bloated body. Some love them.

Many years ago, someone local here sold me an M5 with a 90/2 Summicron. I had an M3 and a few Leica lenses then, so I sold the M5. I kept the 90/2.

Back