M6 Classic or M5?

M6 Classic or M5?

• M6 Classic

Votes: 128 59.0%
  • M5

Votes: 89 41.0%

• Total voters
Its so unfortunate that Don can't or won't work on an M5. Perhaps some horribly difficult to solve light leaks soured him, or he just doesn't have the parts to do things right.

A very nice guy with more work than he has time for.

Its so unfortunate that Don can't or won't work on an M5. Perhaps some horribly difficult to solve light leaks soured him, or he just doesn't have the parts to do things right.

A very nice guy with more work than he has time for.

Hap.... "Even though I was factory trained in Wetzlar, Germany on the M5 camera, I no longer want to work on this camera."

A few months back, I parted with my M5. Although in near-mint condition (and probably little-used before I acquired it), it had a very low serial number, indicating it was made when the cracking shutter drum problem was as yet unaddressed by Leica. I read the writing on the wall about repairs, and decided to sell before I wound up with a brick. It sold for more than I spent on it, and along with some other equipment, funded a second M6. I loved the M5, overall, but I can't deal with owning an expensive camera that is potentially no longer repairable. In the end, having two identical cameras makes for better flow when shooting, I sorta get 28mm framelines, and I don't worry about repairs. I'm happier!

I've posted this elsewhere before, but I bought an M5 from KEH a couple years back and--a short time after getting it--the light meter arm broke. I sent it to KEH and they sent it to Leica, which fixed it without issue and at no cost to me. Mind you, this was 2018, but I had no problem getting my camera fixed.

I thought when the meter arm broke that was a death sentence... Looks like the Leica folks are more prepared for unexpected cases than I usually assume.

I thought when the meter arm broke that was a death sentence... Looks like the Leica folks are more prepared for unexpected cases than I usually assume.

Yep, the metering arm was stuck in the up position, which meant I got a whole roll of photos featuring the blurry outline of the metering arm. Also, to be more precise, my camera had to be sent to Leica, Germany because Leica USA didn't have the necessary parts. The turnaround time was a couple months, but in the end I received what was essentially a new old stock camera. Leica also replaced the shutter curtains.

"What is the difference between a M6 and a M6 classic? The M6TTL I know."

This is a bit of confusion caused by Leica users; when the M6TTL came out, Leicaphiles started referring to the M6 as the "classic" to distinguish it from the TTL. Leica never actually used the "classic" designation. Therefore, the M6 is the M6 classic.
The M6 (classic) lacks TTL flash metering, has the smaller, less ergonomic shutter speed dial, and has a less intuitive LED meter display. Its top plate is a millimeter or two lower, as well. One advantage of the Classic is that its electronics are simpler, and still repairable. By many reports, the TTL has its metering circuits integrated with the TTL functions, and those are on a circuit board that is no longer available. Please, any Leica experts correct me on this if I'm mistaken!

"What is the difference between a M6 and a M6 classic? The M6TTL I know."

This is a bit of confusion caused by Leica users; when the M6TTL came out, Leicaphiles started referring to the M6 as the "classic" to distinguish it from the TTL. Leica never actually used the "classic" designation. Therefore, the M6 is the M6 classic.
The M6 (classic) lacks TTL flash metering, has the smaller, less ergonomic shutter speed dial, and has a less intuitive LED meter display. Its top plate is a millimeter or two lower, as well. One advantage of the Classic is that its electronics are simpler, and still repairable. By many reports, the TTL has its metering circuits integrated with the TTL functions, and those are on a circuit board that is no longer available. Please, any Leica experts correct me on this if I'm mistaken!

The takeaway is that the M6 "Classic" meter can still be repaired whilst the TTL will brick if the mother board gets cooked. You get used to the "Classic"'s LED array. The TTL is more like my FM2, which is preferable.

However, and correct me if I'm wrong, both can be used essentially as an M4 when the batteries die or the electronics give up the ghost.

I think Don meant that line in jest (the one about not repairing the M5 anymore). He's certainly frustrated by them but I know of a few folks who've sent them in after that being added to the website.

Either way, my M5 has been with him since February so I'm not too worried. :)

… [the M5 and M6TTL] can be used essentially as an M4 when the batteries die or the electronics give up the ghost.

Yes, you’re correct.

Perhaps that may also be a reason why there might not be many “donor” cameras from which to get the circuit boards: people just keep the camera and use it without the meter.

I think Don meant that line in jest (the one about not repairing the M5 anymore). He's certainly frustrated by them but I know of a few folks who've sent them in after that being added to the website.

Either way, my M5 has been with him since February so I'm not too worried. :)
Actually that line was not in jest. Don literally hates the M5 - "it's the most overengineered camera ever produced"; he's said he will no longer work on them, but if he gets one in he won't turn it away. As I recall he charges $455 for a CLA on an M5.

Keep in mind though - and I have it on good authority - that Don Goldberg is on track to retire in about four years!

Speaking of the Devil, Tony Rose over at Popflash in LA has an M5 in what appears to be great shape at $2100 if anyone is looking for Der unschöne aus Wetzlar.

Back