M9 ME 3rd Party Sensor Replacements - Your View

Wow. Amazing marketing brochure .. if I read that when it first launched I would have been more inclined to buy it... but I waited a few years (2016) to buy my first Leica ( M9 ) once the (used) value had depreciated to a more “affordable” amount. Like with most things digital , they tend to depreciate more than appreciate ... in value

Marginal? Really?

Yeah, more like hardly marginal.... The M10 is all around better camera then the M9 and I still shoot my M9 and still produces great images.... But I would take an M10 over it any day of the week 2x on Sunday... I'm waiting for M10 prices to come down more before I get one second hand...

I sold my M9 around 2011, but if I still owned it, I'd consider buying the corrosion-resistant sensor glass out of sheer stubborness. Leica's repair program never claimed to solve the issue of corrosion, and I would have been reluctant to pay them to install the very same faulty part. M9's dynamic range and high ISO performance are pretty woeful by 2020 standards, but I was comfortable with the camera.

I sold my M9 around 2011, but if I still owned it, I'd consider buying the corrosion-resistant sensor glass out of sheer stubborness. Leica's repair program never claimed to solve the issue of corrosion, and I would have been reluctant to pay them to install the very same faulty part. M9's dynamic range and high ISO performance are pretty woeful by 2020 standards, but I was comfortable with the camera.

Except they DID solve the issue, though admittedly after some cameras had replacements with the same potential failure as before.

All newer repaired M9 sensors from Leica are corrosion-free. Anyone who owned the M9 and didn't get it replaced with the newest sensor that will not corrode has themselves to blame, except maybe the rare case where they thought it was the newer version but wasn't.

Truthfully, Leica should have never replaced a sensor till the problem was eliminated, or put you on a wait-list to get the newer sensor, but oh well. I can think of one person who had no idea the problem existed until I mentioned it, and they found corrosion on their sensor sometime later, but I think that's a rare case.

I kinda miss my M9 sometimes but ultimately I'd rather shoot film.

I got a new sensor for free during the period in which Leica allowed such a free replacement. I use the M9 with the M10 and occasionally with the M8.

Except they DID solve the issue, though admittedly after some cameras had replacements with the same potential failure as before.

All newer repaired M9 sensors from Leica are corrosion-free. Anyone who owned the M9 and didn't get it replaced with the newest sensor that will not corrode has themselves to blame, except maybe the rare case where they thought it was the newer version but wasn't.

Truthfully, Leica should have never replaced a sensor till the problem was eliminated, or put you on a wait-list to get the newer sensor, but oh well. I can think of one person who had no idea the problem existed until I mentioned it, and they found corrosion on their sensor sometime later, but I think that's a rare case.

I kinda miss my M9 sometimes but ultimately I'd rather shoot film.

Wow, I'm to blame because I didn't get my sensor replaced? I guess you are unaware that Leica would not replace the sensor under warranty until there was corrosion present. I sent my MM to Leica just before it reached 5 years from the date of manufacture, but since there was no corrosion present I couldn't get a new sensor. I still don't see corrosion, but was planning to pay Leica for the swap anyway until they abruptly ended the program.

@CVickery, I didn't know if Kolari cover glass replacement included Monochrom sensor. My Monochrom also starts to show corrosion spots in the upper corner of the sensor and sooner or later the corrosion will grow. I will contact them and report back.

Cheers,

I contacted MaxMAx and they can repair the Monochrom...$1500

@CVickery: thanks and I also just heard back from MaxMax. I am going to do it soon. So far, I only have few very small spots on the upper right hand side of the sensor.

Cheers,

I sent my M9 to Leica NJ without having seen any issues with its sensor. They informed me that the sensor shows corrosion. I was lucky.

Well, in all fairness, they didn't say it is a good investment. Some investments go bad and some will haunt you for a long time - maybe even a lifetime?

Investment? We are not discussing shares in Leica but a camera; meaning the M9 which we use to take pictures and had hoped to be using for a "lifetime" because of its "endurance" and free updates.

Regards, David

PS If you want my opinion of cameras as investments then I'll say that I have a spreadsheet and a list of saving banks interest rates. So I set up a spreadsheet to show what I'd have in the bank if I had put the money I've spent buying and keeping my Leica running over the decades. I'd have to sell my Leica CL kit (body, two lenses and case) for over UKP 2700 just to keep up with the savings bank as an investment. I can't see it happening at the moment..

M9 Sensor Repair

M9 Sensor Repair

I sent off my M9 to Kolari for the sensor glass replacement back in April. I received an email from them yesterday saying that my camera was up for repair, but the sensor had a crack in the corner. They told it was a 50/50 chance that the glass could scratch the sensor, and they asked me whether to proceed or not. I decided just to get my camera back and get a refund. They told me I am the first person to request do this. They will call me back with the details about refunding my money and sending my camera back.

I am so pissed with Leica. This was the second sensor that failed in my camera. Leica knew these sensors were bad. Their discount towards a new camera , with giving them your old one, is just not acceptable. I now have a 7K paperweight.

I sent off my M9 to Kolari for the sensor glass replacement back in April. I received an email from them yesterday saying that my camera was up for repair, but the sensor had a crack in the corner. They told it was a 50/50 chance that the glass could scratch the sensor, and they asked me whether to proceed or not. I decided just to get my camera back and get a refund. They told me I am the first person to request do this. They will call me back with the details about refunding my money and sending my camera back.

I am so pissed with Leica. This was the second sensor that failed in my camera. Leica knew these sensors were bad. Their discount towards a new camera , with giving them your old one, is just not acceptable. I now have a 7K paperweight.

That's tough mate. My M-E (the M9 variant) bought new in 2013 had the first sensor replaced under warranty (it had cracked) two years after purchase and the second for corrosion just a month or so before the free replacement policy ended. I have no complaints about their service but will not buy another Leica digital M.

Back