M9 ME 3rd Party Sensor Replacements - Your View

Leica admitted that ALL of the original sensors would develop sensor corrosion due to a manufacturing defect. They agreed to replace all sensors that developed corrosion for free before a certain date. They knew that my M9 (and others) would develop corrosion but they wouldn't replace it until it did, which the happened after the cut off date.

1) Manufacturing defect affecting all Leica M9 cameras
2) Leica acknowledges defect but only replaces a minority of sensors before failure.
3) Not what I expected from a $7K digital body.

Last new Leica product that I'll ever buy after being a pretty good customer for over 40 years.

It was a horrible issue, but to be fair... the camera is almost 12 years old at this point. In the digital world, I doubt many 12 year old cameras could get a repair of this type without caniballizing another camera.

It was a horrible issue, but to be fair... the camera is almost 12 years old at this point. In the digital world, I doubt many 12 year old cameras could get a repair of this type without caniballizing another camera.

Mine was only about 6 years old. My M7 is 18 years old. The only "good" news was it only cost me $925 from Leica when i had it done. And to be fair it included a CLA, new fake leather, a circuit revision (?). As far as the OP question I wouldn't put $1000 to $1500 in a camera this old, even as much as I like my M9. And I don't think that includes an actual CLA.

Mine was only about 6 years old. My M7 is 18 years old. The only "good" news was it only cost me $925 from Leica when i had it done. And to be fair it included a CLA, new fake leather, a circuit revision (?). As far as the OP question I wouldn't put $1000 to $1500 in a camera this old, even as much as I like my M9. And I don't think that includes an actual CLA.

I still have my 1967 M4, bought in 1980, after my two other M4s were stolen. That camera has seen the world and then some. Still functions great.

I've been in touch with Dan at MaxMax. He will look at my M9 as soon as I get it back from Kolari. He's been repairing sensors for over 12 years. Kolari has been doing this for about 12 months......

Wow. Amazing marketing brochure .. if I read that when it first launched I would have been more inclined to buy it... but I waited a few years (2016) to buy my first Leica ( M9 ) once the (used) value had depreciated to a more “affordable” amount. Like with most things digital , they tend to depreciate more than appreciate ... in value

I've said this a few times, but this is another appropriate place to say it again. My M9 is from the second batch that came to Australia in very early 2010, and it was the most cash I'd ever spent on anything. I could practically feel my guts falling out of my backside when I handed over the money. But within a few months, I was in Japan and taking the best images of my life, even though I'd been shooting for years with DSLR's including the vaunted 5D Mark II.

In monetary terms it was huge, but its output has paid for itself in money and enjoyment. Even now, 11 years, two services and one sensor replacement later, I'm still having a blast, taking images that are deeply satisfying and profitable. With the Zeiss Distagon 35 it is almost the perfect camera, apart from the magenta shadow noise and small buffer. That's why I now have a Panasonic S5, for the situations where I need high ISO and a large buffer.

Well, I did specifically talk about digital cameras (which become obsolete a lot earlier than film cameras due to the picture taking medium and other digital specifications). We all know that. My point was that you guys are lucky to be even able to repair this camera at this point. Many digital cameras have been deemed not worth repairing.

Well, I did specifically talk about digital cameras (which become obsolete a lot earlier than film cameras due to the picture taking medium and other digital specifications). We all know that. My point was that you guys are lucky to be even able to repair this camera at this point. Many digital cameras have been deemed not worth repairing.

So a $7K camera was obsolete after 6 years and I'm lucky it was repairable? Guess I have different expectations. My Nikon D700 has some minor issues (how old is that??) and I can still get it repaired at a Nikon Authorized Repair center. The quote wasn't that high either, nothing like Leica.

I guess my point is (about not buying another Leica digital product) is Leica is really a relatively small company and can't really back up their product like other camera manufacturers. The day my M9 dies for good will be a sad day for me.

I don't know if Leica made the sensor but if they bought it and the maker no longer exists or worse then what can be done? I would have expected Leica to go to the makers and get them to sort out the problem but, as I said, I don't know if they made it.

All in all, it's a dreadful state of affairs, imo.

Regards, David

Kodak made the CCD, used S8612 glass in it as they did with the SLR/n and SLR/c.

Kodak sold the CCD business some 10 years ago. ONSEMI ended up with it, and stopped manufacturing all CCDs. ONSEMI produced the revised sensor using BG55 cover glass and different color dye in the mosaic filter. If you wanted to buy the CCD through Digi-Key or other source, it cost about $4,000.

Lost in space

Lost in space

What happened to all the sensors that Leica replaced? Were they sent back to Germany for potential future repair or was NJ advised to toss them in the dumpster.
If that is the case, I have to say, not exactly the best decision they’ve made, but truly in line in how the issue was handled overall.

I sent a monochrome to NJ in Nov,2020, being told they had 8 sensors left for the monochrome. Leica NJ shut down by Covid as my camera was in transit.
The PO returned it to me after no pick up by Leica after 2 weeks.
In early Dec, I was finally able to reach NJ who told me all the sensors were gone.

I call it close, but no cigar. I got kinked by Leica, but not as bad as the ones who paid 7K or8k, whatever the original price was. The time some of those cameras spent on their shelf while the owner was at the mercy of Leica.
Seriously! World record for a 7 or 8k limp *:*,

Those who had a free repair from Leica were very fortunate. Those who had to pay $$$$$; not so much.

Me- purchased with a bad sensor for peanuts.
I don’t shoot the sky, nor closed down.

I think the trade up program that Leica offered victims was indicative of their ultimate response
How many used the program? very few I would guess.

I have never bought a new piece of gear because of my use and finances but if I could I don’t think it would be a Leica.

If you elect to send in your M9 for repair, do exhaustive research before giving up one dime.
Get references!

What happened to all the sensors that Leica replaced? Were they sent back to Germany for potential future repair or was NJ advised to toss them in the dumpster.

I was under the impression that they may not actually replace the sensor, but only the cover glass. I believe the problem is with the cement that secures the glass filter. If that's true, the only thing that gets thrown out would be the cover.

I was under the impression that they may not actually replace the sensor, but only the cover glass. I believe the problem is with the cement that secures the glass filter. If that's true, the only thing that gets thrown out would be the cover.

Sorry, I was referring to past tense and Leica’s response to the issue.Entire sensor replaced.
Had they held on to them, they would now have thousands of sensors that could have cover glass replacement. The cement issue is only a problem in the M9P,ME, and the M9M going forward.

Sorry, I was referring to past tense and Leica’s response to the issue.Entire sensor replaced.
Had they held on to them, they would now have thousands of sensors that could have cover glass replacement. The cement issue is only a problem in the M9P,ME, and the M9M going forward.

I see! So there have actually been two separate issues, then? First with the sensor itself, later with the cementing of the cover glass. I'm thankful that I got my M9 sensor replaced in time.

I got my M9 used back in 2013 wasn't cheap but still not 7K.... Had my sensor replaced in 2017 I think it was... For free... I'll shoot it til it dies... Great camera, love the colors, yep no cameras are perfect... At least Leica acknowledged it was a defect and repaired lots for free... If were any other camera company they just would have told you straight up to go buy a new camera... Leica isn't perfect no camera company is... I'll be getting a second hand M10-P sometime in the future.... second hand of course for a reputable dealer....

I see! So there have actually been two separate issues, then? First with the sensor itself, later with the cementing of the cover glass. I'm thankful that I got my M9 sensor replaced in time.

1 issue- 2 different approaches for repair.
Leica- Replaced Sensor
Kolarvision- Replaced cover glass only

MIA sensors by Leica:bang::bang:

One of the new members on Russian rangefinder forum was able to find massive M9 crapped out sensor glass replacement going on, with video how it is done and glass available for purchase.
He already replaced the degraded glass with temporary one while waiting for permanent glass cover from China. Total DIY.

Here is the video links to how it is done somewhere in China:

https://spl-lab.ru/!rf/1.mp4
https://spl-lab.ru/!rf/2.mp4

If they could do it, LCAG should have done it.

One of the new members on Russian rangefinder forum was able to find massive M9 crapped out sensor glass replacement going on, with video how it is done and glass available for purchase.
He already replaced the degraded glass with temporary one while waiting for permanent glass cover from China. Total DIY.

Here is the video links to how it is done somewhere in China:

https://spl-lab.ru/!rf/1.mp4
https://spl-lab.ru/!rf/2.mp4

If they could do it, LCAG should have done it.

It is a shame that it appears I can mail my camera to some no-name outfit in China for sensor repair while the gnomes of Leitz are powerless to do anything at all. I do not think I am off-base to say that Leica has lousy customer service. Those techs in China seem to be able to turn those cameras around pretty quickly. It took months and maybe some divine intervention to get Leica to do the same thing.

Now, assuming the fix works why hasn't Leica made good on the M9's? Instead of 40meg sensors why not fix the old 24meg sensors on the CCD cameras? It is just the cover glass. This is not rocket surgery. And I know the fan boys will rush in to defend Leica saying there are worse camera companies. That is a lame defense at best and shameful. Leica touts itself as the world's best. They could try acting like that. I like the cameras I have despite their limitations. But I am appalled at factory service and reserve it as the last and least desirable course of action.

It is a shame that it appears I can mail my camera to some no-name outfit in China for sensor repair while the gnomes of Leitz are powerless to do anything at all. I do not think I am off-base to say that Leica has lousy customer service. Those techs in China seem to be able to turn those cameras around pretty quickly. It took months and maybe some divine intervention to get Leica to do the same thing.

Now, assuming the fix works why hasn't Leica made good on the M9's? Instead of 40meg sensors why not fix the old 24meg sensors on the CCD cameras? It is just the cover glass. This is not rocket surgery. And I know the fan boys will rush in to defend Leica saying there are worse camera companies. That is a lame defense at best and shameful. Leica touts itself as the world's best. They could try acting like that. I like the cameras I have despite their limitations. But I am appalled at factory service and reserve it as the last and least desirable course of action.

I had very mixed feelings about LCAG and its "service" even before this.

Not sure which other camera manufacturer has no service in G7 country (Canada).
Country which saved their butts in seventies. But corporate and cowards is the same thing these days.

Back