M9 sensor discontinued

2 weeks?? The Rolex my father bought me as a gift when I turned 30 and completed medical training, has on average taken 6-8 weeks in the US to be 'CLA'd'. The woes of Leica USA are mostly a thing of the past. I've had nothing but great interactions with them.

The Leica dealer and service centre in Australia, Camera Clinic, is not as thoroughly set up to work on digital Leica equipment or the newest lenses as Leica USA. So from here most work is done in Wetzlar, where it takes a long time. It's not the shipping, which in normal times is fast, it's the actual repair time.

Patek Philippe watches from Australia similarly go to Switzerland for service, but can be serviced quite quickly - I only know because I am friends with the local dealer (I don't have one).

Marty

The M-Digital cameras should be designed and modularized such that technology upgrades software/firmware/& electro-mechanicals can be made withing reason - extending the life-cycle of the camera further than is currently offered (avoiding premature product obsolescence because of sensor EOL - end-of-life).

Perhaps various branches of M-Digitals can co-exist supporting a technology upgrade path without sacrificing the hardware base. Heck, maybe they can even be converted to film at some point in the future if you tire of digital? ;)

I mean, some early film Leica's are about to enter their 2nd Century!

Of course, this would not be as profitable as the current product offering model.
Exactly, there is no motivation for Leica to do so at this point. People are now willing to pay far more money for a Leica digital M camera that is expected to last far less time than their film cameras. This in turn keeps driving Leica's customer base back into newer and more expensive camera offerings the company has since released in just a few years time.

There is also no motivation to provide a "film conversion" path as there are countless Leica film cameras still working and available on the used market.

When I was younger, I used to look at Leica's engineers and technicians with the greatest of respect. These days it is Leica's marketing team that I must tip my cap to — they are the ones who appear to be not only sailing the ship these days but keeping it afloat as well. I might not care for Leica's current approach, but it's definitely proven to be the smart choice for them.

When I was younger, I used to look at Leica's engineers and technicians with the greatest of respect. These days it is Leica's marketing team that I must tip my cap to — they are the ones who appear to be not only sailing the ship these days but keeping it afloat as well. I might not care for Leica's current approach, but it's definitely proven to be the smart choice for them.

That’s the general trend in our societies, I am afraid. Apparently it is easier to brainwash people (create products in their brain) than to engineer new and real things.

Back