M9 sensor discontinued

I don't even understand why this is even an issue. The M9 is over 10 years old now, although granted its derivatives are not. Are there other 10 year old cameras whose sensors are still available?

Because people love their M9 and can't get it repaired...even at crazy Leica prices for repair. As far as other 10 year old cameras... they haven't failed yet and if they do, people will move on or buy another for $200.

Apparently this is Leica's new business plan. Broken camera? Here is a $20 off coupon that you can redeem to the purchase of our latest version.

All kidding aside, I have not heard of any sensor issues with the M240 series, let alone the M10. I wouldn't worry. Too much.

I made an error without realizing it. I meant to ask Leica about the M10 and by mistake I typed M9.

What are people going on about? There have been no reports of the rust-free M9 sensor failing, as far as I know, and I keep my ear to the ground.
With the original sensor and the early M9s in general there were people reporting sensor-related faults like stuck pixels or corrosion. The stuck pixels were fixed by Leica by remapping, not replacement, and the corroded sensors were replaced by Leica, mine under warranty, with another of the same susceptible ilk. Eventually all mine were replaced with the rostfrei model.
It's only the sensor that cannot be replaced, according to Leica's statement. The rest of the camera can still be serviced surely.
I am lucky here in Australia because the local Leica repair service is usually quite timely, compared to the horror stories relayed in RFF about US Leica service. In fact, my 2 M9s had their sensors replaced by Leica Japan because I happened to be holidaying there with my cameras and took them in to Ginza for a clean, and they immediately offered to do the sensor change. Incredible service in Japan, and at that time, a very charming Leica shop assistant.

I am lucky here in Australia because the local Leica repair service is usually quite timely, compared to the horror stories relayed in RFF about US Leica service.

You are lucky. I am in Adelaide, and I have had a Monochrom of one sort or another since August 2012 when I received the first MM in Australia. Of those 8 years, I have only had a camera for about 6.75 years because whenever my camera and/or lenses needed servicing they were gone for 2-6 months . . .

I now have 2 so I can get one worked on while retaining the other for using . . .

Marty

You are lucky. I am in Adelaide, and I have had a Monochrom of one sort or another since August 2012 when I received the first MM in Australia. Of those 8 years, I have only had a camera for about 6.75 years because whenever my camera and/or lenses needed servicing they were gone for 2-6 months . . .

I now have 2 so I can get one worked on while retaining the other for using . . .

Marty

It would be a good thing for Leica if the company invested more money in technical service.

Marty, my M9M was with Camera Clinic for sensor change for about 6 weeks from memory, maybe 4 weeks. I've sent Leica lenses to them and each time it was about 3 weeks. I think that's an ok turnaround time, but I wasn't in a hurry any of those times.
I heard that prior to Camera Clinic, Adeal, the Leica distributor before Leica took it inhouse, was pretty hopeless with service.
Anyway I don't hold any brief for Leica or Camera Clinic. I'm just relating my experiences, and my thoughts on the vexed M9 sensor. But I do love the pictures those CCD cameras make.

Marty, my M9M was with Camera Clinic for sensor change for about 6 weeks from memory, maybe 4 weeks. I've sent Leica lenses to them and each time it was about 3 weeks. I think that's an ok turnaround time, but I wasn't in a hurry any of those times.
I heard that prior to Camera Clinic, Adeal, the Leica distributor before Leica took it inhouse, was pretty hopeless with service.
Anyway I don't hold any brief for Leica or Camera Clinic. I'm just relating my experiences, and my thoughts on the vexed M9 sensor. But I do love the pictures those CCD cameras make.

Camera Clinic sent your M9 to Germany - they don’t do sensor replacements. CC also don’t work on lenses with floating elements.

All my service experiences with the Monochroms occurred when Camera Clinic was the agent. It is not their fault - the service centre in Germany is just very slow. I do not expect that CC should be able to do everything, but COVID delays aside, international shipping is very quick and efficient, and it just shouldn’t take so long.

I love the photos too - this is why I put up with this appalling level of service.

Marty

The M-Digital cameras should be designed and modularized such that technology upgrades software/firmware/& electro-mechanicals can be made withing reason - extending the life-cycle of the camera further than is currently offered (avoiding premature product obsolescence because of sensor EOL - end-of-life).

Perhaps various branches of M-Digitals can co-exist supporting a technology upgrade path without sacrificing the hardware base. Heck, maybe they can even be converted to film at some point in the future if you tire of digital? ;)

I mean, some early film Leica's are about to enter their 2nd Century!

Of course, this would not be as profitable as the current product offering model.

Sigma does seem to have a legitimately different corporate ethos than other companies. In a good way, and in actions not just talk. It’s an interesting company.

Well said. It's a great company. Sigma may not be everyone's cuppa tea but they try hard to make great products and they are loyal to their workforce too!

All the best,
Mike

Now Sigma, there's a happy subject. Their Foveon sensors are possibly even better than Kodak-Leica's CCD sensors. No rusting either.

Marty

Sort of like having two Jaguars. One in the garage and one getting repaired.

Apart from a failing idle control valve, which was easy for me to diagnose, I never had a moment's problems with my XJR. The people who bought it from me though...:)

I got myself two M9s on the basis that one might fail, but as it turned out neither did. There are a lot of scare stories about the M9.
On the subject of Jaguars, my father had a Series 3 E-Type convertible, in that beautiful primrose colour, which he bought for a song because of the outrageous registration costs in Singapore at the time (still the case). It was constantly in the garage, usually for a hose problem. Once he had a friend bring back a new power steering shaft, hand luggage, from England, to replace his broken down part.

Apart from a failing idle control valve, which was easy for me to diagnose, I never had a moment's problems with my XJR. The people who bought it from me though...:)

I kept my wife's grandfather's 1984 XJ12 going for quite a few years. It was fiddly but manageable. But I would not have ever called it reliable - he lived in Toowoomba and the car did not like cold mornings. For a British car, that's quite confounding.

Marty

1+^^
This is not like a Patek Phillipe you’re passing on to the grandchild.
Stop worrying and use it. It will probably outlast all of us and the limitations will be software and processors on your computer that are incompatible. By then, we will all be gray, bald and feeble-minded.
Sort of like Joe Biden.

The problem to me is not that it won't last forever. When cameras went digital part of the consumable chain (which used to be film and development) got incorporated in the cameras. I accept that this means that the cameras 'consumable'.

But Leica's service is a major obstacle to serious use. It's not a Patek Philippe, but PP can turn around a watch from Australia in 1-2 weeks. Anything needs doing to your digital Leica it will be gone a long time.

Marty

The problem to me is not that it won't last forever. When cameras went digital part of the consumable chain (which used to be film and development) got incorporated in the cameras. I accept that this means that the cameras 'consumable'.

But Leica's service is a major obstacle to serious use. It's not a Patek Philippe, but PP can turn around a watch from Australia in 1-2 weeks. Anything needs doing to your digital Leica it will be gone a long time.

Marty

2 weeks?? The Rolex my father bought me as a gift when I turned 30 and completed medical training, has on average taken 6-8 weeks in the US to be 'CLA'd'. The woes of Leica USA are mostly a thing of the past. I've had nothing but great interactions with them.

The M-Digital cameras should be designed and modularized such that technology upgrades software/firmware/& electro-mechanicals can be made withing reason - extending the life-cycle of the camera further than is currently offered (avoiding premature product obsolescence because of sensor EOL - end-of-life).

Perhaps various branches of M-Digitals can co-exist supporting a technology upgrade path without sacrificing the hardware base. Heck, maybe they can even be converted to film at some point in the future if you tire of digital? ;)

I mean, some early film Leica's are about to enter their 2nd Century!

Of course, this would not be as profitable as the current product offering model.

The company would go bust.

Back