M9 value w sensor corrosion

johnmshaw

Local time
8:02 PM
Hi all, I have an M9 and it has corrosion, I am not going to get it fixed , I am going to get a used M240. What would an approximate value be for a really nice looking M9 with a corroded sensor ? Have all orig boxes etc.
cheers John.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all, I have an M9 and it has corrosion, I am not going to get it fixed , I am going to get a used M240. What would an approximate value be for a really nice looking M9 with a corroded sensor ? Have all orig boxes etc.
cheers John.

I would call Leica directly and see if you can get a discounted M240 from them based on the corroded sensor before you do anything else. Leica has made deals with me on repair prices and has offered upgrades to me in the past. A hard luck story will have to be provided.

cheers John.

Bergen County Camera in NJ have an M9 old sensor w/o corrosion (1700), M9 w/new sensor ($2300) and M9P with a new sensor ($2900).
This may guide you given the sensor will cost $1500+

Given sensor replacement takes 6 months or more (unless something has changed) I not sure how many people would want to pay $600 for a camera that needs a $1600 repair and then wait 6 months to get it back when they can pick up a repaired one for $2300. The logic escapes me.

If corroded sensor cameras are selling for $600 and repairs are $1600 you are still ahead compared to getting a good used M240 ($2500?), provided you like the results of the M9. People swear by the CCD sensor, but don't know if the new one is similar.

A Leica factory fixed M9 will likely be in better shape than a used M240 of unknown provenance.

As a wise person once said: dance with the devil you know.

Given sensor replacement takes 6 months or more (unless something has changed) I not sure how many people would want to pay $600 for a camera that needs a $1600 repair and then wait 6 months to get it back when they can pick up a repaired one for $2300. The logic escapes me.

It only took Leica NJ 3 weeks total for me.

If corroded sensor cameras are selling for $600 and repairs are $1600 you are still ahead compared to getting a good used M240 ($2500?), provided you like the results of the M9. People swear by the CCD sensor, but don't know if the new one is similar.

A Leica factory fixed M9 will likely be in better shape than a used M240 of unknown provenance.

As a wise person once said: dance with the devil you know.

I have seen a few M240s from dealers at $2200 to 2300. Easy to find them at 2500 or 2600 with extras.

Shawn

Earlier this fall, Leica NJ took three weeks for my M9 sensor replacement- $1,565.00 plus tax and shipping. Service was great with great communication .... actually they made it very easy. LOL on getting a discount.

This is the first time I've ever heard of "sensor corrosion". What causes this - excess humidity? Is the M9's sensor more susceptible than those of other digital cameras?

I sold mine for $1500 with two batteries, a grip and I think an old Leicatyme half case. Also, I didn't have a body cap so I included a Jupiter 12 lens.

LOL on getting a discount.

I guess I knew how to talk to them... because I can assure you I've gotten repair estimates cut in half. However, not for a sensor. They will work with you... perhaps you didn't even try? I find no harm in trying. They do offer trades too when repairs are not an option.

Back