I had called Leica last week
to see if Eric’s M9 had been serviced..,
It was December 2018
CLA and Sensor Replacment

I am thinking of selling it
Just don’t really shoot much, will keep the M6 and who knows

I was offered by David at Leica NJ;

“Good Afternoon Mrs. Hill.

YOU MAY UPGRADE TO ONE OF THE MODELS BELOW AT A DISCOUNTED PRICE. YOUR ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT WILL NOT BE RETURNED IF YOU CHOOSE THIS OPTION.

PLEASE CONTACT CUSTOMER CARE WITH YOUR DECISION AT 1-800-222-0118.

FROM M9/M E

Upgrade to M10 $5,200.00 200-00 black; 200-01 silver
Upgrade to M10-P $6,000.00 200-21 black; 200-22 silver
Upgrade to M10-D $6,000.00 200-14

Thank You,”

—-//———/

I have no Interest in an M10
Not sure what I will do

I had called Leica last week
to see if Eric’s M9 had been serviced..,
It was December 2018
CLA and Sensor Replacement

I am thinking of selling it
Just don’t really shoot much, will keep the M6 and who knows

I was offered by David at Leica NJ;

“Good Afternoon Mrs. Hill.

YOU MAY UPGRADE TO ONE OF THE MODELS BELOW AT A DISCOUNTED PRICE. YOUR ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT WILL NOT BE RETURNED IF YOU CHOOSE THIS OPTION.

PLEASE CONTACT CUSTOMER CARE WITH YOUR DECISION AT 1-800-222-0118.

FROM M9/M E

Upgrade to M10 $5,200.00 200-00 black; 200-01 silver
Upgrade to M10-P $6,000.00 200-21 black; 200-22 silver
Upgrade to M10-D $6,000.00 200-14

Thank You,”

—-//———/

I have no Interest in an M10
Not sure what I will do

Replace the sensor and use it. A refurbished M9 will keep its intrinsic value for years to come. See if they can upgrade it to an MP for a reduced price.

The sensor replacement package for what I paid for mine included more than just changing the sensor. Often times when you press for a discount with many types of repairs in general you get “discounted” level or quality result - I’m speaking for many items - not just cameras.
I’m not going to risk that experience with expensive proposition I already paid good money for. To me having an expensive camera repair done is not like haggling over a necklace price in an open air market - I want it done and done right the first time and no corners cut.

Often times when you press for a discount with many types of repairs in general you get “discounted” level or quality result - I’m speaking for many items - not just cameras.

I had it repaired by Leica... with a discount. Are you telling me Leica would do a worse job because they cut their estimate in half? It was a shutter repair on a digital M the first time. Ok, I'm sorry for bringing it up...

Earlier this fall, Leica NJ took three weeks for my M9 sensor replacement- $1,565.00 plus tax and shipping. Service was great with great communication .... actually they made it very easy. LOL on getting a discount.

$1600 + tax and shipping? So what was the total? $1900?
That is a huge amount of money to get a Digital cam back up and running, when for a few hundred dollars more you can buy a much better M240.

I had the M-E, and now the M240. I honestly think that those who see the magic difference in the sensors would not be able to tell the difference in a blind test. But once you raise the ISO above 800 you sure will. Or once you take a picture and feel the difference in shutter action and sound. Or check out battery life. Or use Live View (absolutely fantastic to instantly see if your RF is correctly calibrated). Or need more pixels than 18mb. Or actually want to use the rear LCD to see if your focus is correct when you chimp. It is atrocious on the M8/9 series.

Leica Digital kameras are disposable items with short parts availability compared to mechanical cameras. The smart thing to do is buy the most modern one you can afford if you want the longest life out of it.

The sensor replacement package for what I paid for mine included more than just changing the sensor. Often times when you press for a discount with many types of repairs in general you get “discounted” level or quality result - I’m speaking for many items - not just cameras.
I’m not going to risk that experience with expensive proposition I already paid good money for. To me having an expensive camera repair done is not like haggling over a necklace price in an open air market - I want it done and done right the first time and no corners cut.

It's cute how you trust them because you spent a lot of money.
They are in business to make a profit, and will try to get as much out of you as they can. If you don't ask them to work with you, they won't and will charge you as much as they think they can get out of you.

My career since 1976 has been selling tractor trailers and other heavy duty trucks. There is no “would you take it” in that business.

My career since 1976 has been selling tractor trailers and other heavy duty trucks. There is no “would you take it” in that business.

So you are well aware that negotiation is part of business.
As we can also do with Leica. Whether you chose to do so is up to you.

An aside - where are you in Sacramento? It is a really nice town and I've been looking at places there.

A guy on fredmiranda is trying to sell an M9 w corroded sensor for $1600. add the $1800 to repair it (including tax and shipping) then you are looking at a $3400 10 year old digital camera.
A brand new w warranty M-E is just under $4k

Seems the price of the repair has accelerated quite a bit. I guess they figure to make up for all those freebies. It was quoted to me at $1000 just after the free repair ended.

I wonder...
What the actual cost of the repair is...from Leicas pov..

Leicas wholesale cost of the sensor etc..and labor...
But then there's the cost of the uppity boutiques..
And that has to be factored in...lol..
Even though.. the sensor was flat out defective at time of purchase..a time bomb waiting to go off..

I wonder...
What the actual cost of the repair is...from Leicas pov..

Leicas wholesale cost of the sensor etc..and labor...
But then there's the cost of the uppity boutiques..
And that has to be factored in...lol..
Even though.. the sensor was flat out defective at time of purchase..a time bomb waiting to go off..

Well, seeing a Sony A7II - the entire camera brand new is now $898, it seems Leica is making a pretty penny charging $1800 (shipping and tax included!) to replace a sensor that is way behind in tech.
Of course they sell fewer cameras so have to have a higher price point to make money, butt still.

Seems the price of the repair has accelerated quite a bit. I guess they figure to make up for all those freebies. It was quoted to me at $1000 just after the free repair ended.

Guess it has, just looked up the bill on mine. Got the bill (repair finished) $960 in July 2018. Took about 7 months. That included a lot more than just a sensor replacement -

Necessary labours $350
Sensor cover glass,coating is separating, adjust range finder, clean, lubrication and adjustment, leather covering, CIRCUIT M9 REV 4
+5 $575
Shipping cost Service $35

But then... if someone bought a defective M9 and replaced the sensor, wouldn't it be like getting a new-ish camera? At least when it comes to the sensor... which is kind of important.

Back