Olympus 35 RC photos

Adrossan Harbour

Adrossan Harbour

I recently bought my 1971 Olympus 35RC on a whim whilst browsing Ebay one night. I probably paid too much for it (£65), but I liked its clean uncluttered lines.
The rangefinder patch was abysmal and the light seals were mush. I cleaned up the viewfinder and rangefinder window (which was unbelievably grimy), fitted new seals, a leather strap I had been saving for just the right camera and a PX625 battery adapter. Loaded with Kodak 400 Tmax I crossed my fingers and took this as my only camera on a back packing holiday.
The rangefinder patch is now pretty bright and the light meter reads about half a stop under the meter app on my phone. I don't think that's too bad for a 48 years old compact camera.
All my shots came out okay although I had been over exposing to compensate for the yellow filter I was using. In hindsight, this wasn't necessary as I now realize the camera has a TTL light meter and was compensating automatically.
After looking at the other images on this thread, I am now inspired to improve my compositions.

Welcome aboard.

They are nice cameras, aren't they? Lots of us have them or else have happy memories of when we had them.

Regards, David

1971 Olympus 35RC Kodak 400 Tmax with yellow filter, 250th sec @ f11. i overexposed by 1 stop which in hindsight wasn't necessary.
Adrossan Harbour, Scotland 4/2019 by john millar, on Flickr

Welcome to the forum, and lovely photo! The 35 RC has a sharp little lens as your photo shows, and is a wonderful travel camera. Hope to see more of your contributions to the forum.

David Hughes & Dourbalister Thanks for the welcome, I'm looking forward to participating and navigating my way around RFF

Olympus 35RC, Ilford chromogenic B&W
U77I1139820963.SEQ.0.jpg

Sorting cherries at the farmers' market. She said she hates cherries...

Jumillar,
The one necessary accessory on a 35RC (for me anyway) is a 43.5mm to 43mm step-down filter adapter ring. They are available on eBay and are inexpensive.
The original 43.5mm filter size is a orphan, hard to fit. The 43mm size is common with lots of selection available. This is how I fitted a short, metal lens hood on my RC.
I cannot speak for all of them but my ring also does not block the meter window or affect normal meter operation.

The Oly 35RC + C200 is a sweet combination.. you've captured great colours here. I've just finished a roll of C200 in my 35RC. Just need to post it off to get developed now.

Thank you! The Olympus 35 RC is a great, inexpensive camera, and C200 is a great, inexpensive film. I don't shoot color film too often, but when I do, I also run into the same bottleneck of sending it off for processing. Hope to see your results soon! :)

Jumillar,
The one necessary accessory on a 35RC (for me anyway) is a 43.5mm to 43mm step-down filter adapter ring. They are available on eBay and are inexpensive.
The original 43.5mm filter size is a orphan, hard to fit. The 43mm size is common with lots of selection available. This is how I fitted a short, metal lens hood on my RC.
I cannot speak for all of them but my ring also does not block the meter window or affect normal meter operation.

interesting; i guess i just presumed the step-down ring would block the meter. i think my one necessary accessory (not quite an accessory) for me, is the PX625 battery adapter enabling me to use modern easy to find batteries.
Also i'm sure your aware easy to find Olympus Trip filters fit the 35RC. buy them used on Ebay or new in the UK from https://www.srb-photographic.co.uk/...MIzsKE7_rq4gIVzLftCh0AhgUsEAAYASAAEgIh1PD_BwE

Olympus 35RC by john millar, on Flickr

Thank you! The Olympus 35 RC is a great, inexpensive camera, and C200 is a great, inexpensive film. I don't shoot color film too often, but when I do, I also run into the same bottleneck of sending it off for processing. Hope to see your results soon! :)

Film has now been sent off, unfortunately my developers (good as they are) have a turn around time of two weeks to get my digital file sent to me (this includes 2nd class post for me sending it to them).

I presumed (wrongly) from your profile name that you were Scottish (Dour being a good Scottish word) and I was going to ask who develops your colour work, but i've just noticed you are from CA.. Oh well :)

Film has now been sent off, unfortunately my developers (good as they are) have a turn around time of two weeks to get my digital file sent to me (this includes 2nd class post for me sending it to them).

I presumed (wrongly) from your profile name that you were Scottish (Dour being a good Scottish word) and I was going to ask who develops your colour work, but i've just noticed you are from CA.. Oh well :)

North Coast Photographic Services in Southern California did the developing and scanning for this particular roll of film. Probably not helpful for you, but perhaps others. ;)

Dourbali is a small city in Chad, Africa. I lived there for two years while serving as a volunteer in the Peace Corps. I used to take little mini-buses to and from the capital, N'Djaména, usually a 2-3 hour journey to cover 100km. One of the mini-buses had "Dourbali Star" painted on the side, hence my username. What does "dour" mean in Scottish?

:D:D It means Sullen and severe here, which i'm sure does not describe you in the slightest :D:D

Ah, it has the same meaning in English, though its usage here on this side of the pond is uncommon. ;) Back on topic, here's my son looking a little dour.

Olympus 35 RC, Ilford HP5+, developed in LegacyPro L110 at 1:31 for 5.5 minutes.

2018.02.27 Roll #147-02063-positive.jpg
by dourbalistar, on Flickr

Ah, it has the same meaning in English, though its usage here on this side of the pond is uncommon. ;) Back on topic, here's my son looking a little dour.

Olympus 35 RC, Ilford HP5+, developed in LegacyPro L110 at 1:31 for 5.5 minutes.
2018.02.27 Roll #147-02063-positive.jpg
by dourbalistar, on Flickr

Sweet image, looks like you've got the developing down to a tee as well.
I had to change the battery on my 35RC this morning and then later on the beach the meter wasn't working with the new battery. I was playing about with it when I got home & it started working again.. hope I'm not going to have problems with it, cause it's perfect in every other respect.
Thanks for sharing the picture.

Back