Olympus Pen FT

Put the first roll through my Pen FT. I'm still on the basic 38mm f/1.8 lens, but this thing is definitely growing on me :)

oil.jpg

Pins.jpg

GR170901.jpg

GR170902.jpg

GR170924.jpg

very nice Mr_Flibble! I specially like the first one, excellent!
In my opinion this lens is far from basic : )

I also have the 25/4 and it's a superb lens too; very sharp and 3D
Love both lenses on my FT or on my Fuji X-E1 digital

I have a 100mm lens for it on the way (and a PEN F body).
I like the results with the Fomapan 100, but really want to try it with some slower/finer grain films. I think I'll run a roll of Ferrania P-30 through it next.

motorcycle.jpg

For many years I used a Pen FT with Tmax100 film, exposed at ISO 50 and developed in Microdol.

Olympus Pen FT, Zuiko 38mm f/1.8, Tmax100, Microdol.

Erik.

8575093992_eb808c76bd_z.jpg

As always your stuff looks mighty sharp, Erik.
I see that I've limited the size of my images to roughly the same size as yours.

GR170921.jpg

82nd Airborne takes Kazemat Noord (Grave - NL) during Operation Market-Garden 1944-2017

I have just purchased a Pen FT complete with 40 f/1.4.
The lens must be older than the camera, only having the aperture scale, ie without the numbering corresponding to the meter. The lens also has focussing backlash or something, I can feel a slight bit of play in the ring, plus the image moves a little sideways in the finder when moving focus quite quick, less so if I take time to not abruptly change focus setting. I wonder if I just live with it, or the lens needs a service (purchased from Japan and I'm in the UK, so a bit of hassle to return for an otherwise perfect lens in terms of optical condition, no dust or marks).

Can anyone please advise how I can transpose the meter numbers to aperture values, (I'm assuming there's no correlation to shutter speed).
Also what battery do I need, or adapter plus battery? Assuming there's some form of translation between exposure numbering and f stop.
Alternatively I'll use my handheld meter / or Sunny 16.

Hope someone can advise, many thanks.
Steve.

I have just purchased a Pen FT complete with 40 f/1.4.
The lens must be older than the camera, only having the aperture scale, ie without the numbering corresponding to the meter. The lens also has focussing backlash or something, I can feel a slight bit of play in the ring, plus the image moves a little sideways in the finder when moving focus quite quick, less so if I take time to not abruptly change focus setting. I wonder if I just live with it, or the lens needs a service (purchased from Japan and I'm in the UK, so a bit of hassle to return for an otherwise perfect lens in terms of optical condition, no dust or marks).

Can anyone please advise how I can transpose the meter numbers to aperture values, (I'm assuming there's no correlation to shutter speed).
Also what battery do I need, or adapter plus battery? Assuming there's some form of translation between exposure numbering and f stop.
Alternatively I'll use my handheld meter / or Sunny 16.

Hope someone can advise, many thanks.
Steve.

The Wein Air Cells work just fine. As for the numbering, 0 is wide open, next stop is an unmarked 0.5, next is 1, 2, 3 and so one. For instance, 0=1.8,0.5=2.0, 1=2.8, 2=4.0,you get the idea.
The manual is available at orphancameras.com

When I got an FT about 12 years ago I had the flash sync repaired and at the same time told the tech to pull out the meter and replace the semi-transparent mirror with a full reflection mirror.
My 38 f1.8 shifts a tiny bit, I just live with it.

Thanks philcycles and zuiko85, most helpful.
I'll order the wein air cell, the inbuilt meter may be useful if it works. Now you explained and after reading the manual I get the light meter numbering relative to f stop. Quite easy when you know how!
Re the 'shift' or sideways wobble, I'll live with it as long as the moving elements remain parallel to the film plane. That was my concern. I'll speak to a camera servicing tech to see if it can be resolved, but it's difficult to describe in words and only understood by someone who has observed the effect themeselves. And thanks for the link to the manual, most helpful.
Cheers,
Steve

PS can't wait to run a film through her.

PS2 I ran a roll of fogged film through the camera and found it hard to feel when the film has run out, ie after frame 72 for a normal 36. I could imagine it's easy to tear the sprocket holes in the film. Any tips?

I've enjoyed my Olympus Pen FT and FV but haven't used them for a while. There's a weakness in the design, according to the repair guy, centered on the right-angle gearing between the film-wind and the shutter/mirror, so the advice is to be gentle with winding-on the film. And it's normal for it to feel a little rough.

As to the metering, I find it fiddly to use on the FT, so it's easier to just use a separate meter... I prefer incident metering anyway. And of course my FV doesn't have a meter!

Coffee Drive-Thru
U77I1135845891.SEQ.0.jpg

24-hour Art Marathon
U77I1135845894.SEQ.0.jpg

Pen FT with 1.8/38mm, Fuji HQ Super 200

Selfie... :)
U77I1366788299.SEQ.1.jpg

Olympus Pen FV, 1.4/40mm, Fuji Superia 400

Farmers Market
U77I1367134355.SEQ.2.jpg

Olympus Pen FV, 3.5/20mm, Kodak Ultracolor 100

Back