Pictures from Rome with Holga and Diana

Old story---Its not what you have-- its what you do with it!!!!
you would probably have got the same results from other cameras, YOU chose the scene, framed the shot and pressed the shutter. It is YOU who has an eye for a picture, same camera in someone else's hand would not have got these results if they did not have an eye for a picture.
So I'm afraid that rushing out to buy a Holga or anything else for that matter would not
guarantee shots as good as these:p It is also learning what your camera can and cannot do.

Last edited:
Of the 24 images I viewed, I did not have a favorite because I loved them all.

You have a great eye!

How many shots (or rolls of 120 film) did you shoot to get those 24 gems?

Great work. A lot of Holga images floating around the web are really terrible, as many people believe that just because they are shooting with a Holga that their pictures are automatically good. Your pictures are strong because you have a good eye for composition and timing. Thanks for sharing.

Markus, lots of fun w "crappy cams"! Which one gave the light leak Diana or Holga? I see the leak in #'s 7,9 and some lens flare in a couple of others. Was it a "taping error" or didn't you tape the cameras? If I think of it I'll put up a couple here and provide links for others interested. For those just tuning in, Todd Hanz had a thread on "crappy cameras" about 6 months ago .

Which one gave the light leak Diana or Holga? I see the leak in #'s 7,9 and some lens flare in a couple of others. Was it a "taping error" or didn't you tape the cameras?

It was Holga which gave me problems this time. It has been fine before but this time I had a red filter on it and I suspect that might caused the problems somehow. It is most visible in the top right corner of images 7, 12 and 16 as a burned out white spot.

Excellent work. I love seeing great images from a minimum of gear.

Did you use a red filter on all your Holga shots? Any filter on the Diana?

Part of what is so impressive with this set is the subject matter, La Citta Eterna. But great job on making extraordinary images of a highly photographed city.

You definitely got the eye! The images are great and I think this has much to do with the fact that you used a Holga. Imagine what you would've gotten with a 6x6 Rolleiflex or Hasselblad: sharp photos without the lovely vignetting. Images that you wouldn't have dared to up the contrast of as much as you did now. It's the charm of the Holga and it proves you don't need a Leica or Hasselblad to obtain stunning images full of character!

I couldn't understand the Holga 'thing' for a while but slowly I'm getting it. Your images have really got the 'it.' I like them very much.

Very impressive work! You have a great eye, and you know how to maximize the strengths/weaknesses of the Holga + Diana

Back